You are a sales consultant. This means you are a market expert who can maximise sales.
You have the drive and ability to find new clients based off the target market.
You can develop profitable and professional relationships and transform leads into sales.
Your communication skills are second to none. You have overseen the development of new business opportunities in international markets.
Basically, you’re pretty impressive.
Now, all you have to do is translate all of that talent into your sales consultant resume.
The key to bagging the gig that everyone in sales dreams of, is to effectively showcase your skills, experience and education.
Easier said than done.
Don’t worry, keep reading to find out how to create the perfect sales consultant resume…
“The required skills are of thought leadership, trusted expertise, independent problem solving and visionary; because leaders, buyers and customers expect you to know the what, so they can ask you how and you ask them why? ”
This Sales Consultant Resume Guide Will Include:
- 8+ samples and examples of sales consultant resumes
- How to write an impressive summary
- Experiences you need to include to get job offers
- Essential skills you need to use to get hired
- Sales consultant qualifications and certifications
Your goal is to leave the reviewer wanting to:
- Be fascinated by your potential
- Read your entire resume
- Get in touch
- Give you an offer
- Hire you!
Looking for Related Resumes?
- Salesforce Consultant Resume Example
- Entry-Level Sales Resume Example
- Sales Representative Resume Example
- Retail Resume Example
How to Write an Excellent Sales Consultant Resume
You are the bridge between a company and its customers. It is your job to promote and sell a company’s products and solutions.
You have the enthusiasm, product knowledge and interpersonal skills to impact any company.
Your resume should reflect how you have done this before and showcase your ability to deliver results.
Successful sales consultant resumes combine excellent communication skills and sales expertise.
In your resume, make sure to include technical skills that show you are a capable professional:
- You can use sales intelligence software (ZoomInfo, DiscoverOrg, Nimble, InsideView)
- You have experience with productivity apps (CloudApp, Zapier, Hoosuite, Slack, Trello)
- You have practice with social selling software (Sprout Social, Buffer, LinkedIn’s Sales Navigator)
How to Create an Attention-grabbing Sales Consultant Resume Header
You’re applying to work as a senior sales consultant for a furniture retail company.
Your header, at first, looks like this:
This needs a few changes. Here’s why:
- This header provides bare-minimum information. Use your header to make an impact
- It doesn’t show that your resume is tailored to the job description
- Wow the recruiter from the get-go.
Here’s what an improved header looks like:
This is a huge improvement:
- It notes your seniority
- It notes your speciality
- It includes a professional link where the hiring manager can get a better look at who you are
How to Choose the Perfect Layout Your Sales Consultant Resume
When deciding which layout to choose for your sales consultant resume, there’s a lot to consider.
You need easily convey vital information while also exhibiting key elements of your personality and style.
Use this as an opportunity to mix style with simplicity.
Here are some layouts that will really get you noticed:
Remember, don’t shy away from mixing it up. As long as you ensure your resume’s readability you can afford to be a little different.
Product Knowledge and Expertise is Essential on a Sales Consultant Resume
Remember, when creating your sales consultant resume, zone in on your ability to research into a company’s product and become an expert.
Understanding a company’s product means that you can demonstrate its appeal. You can use this to construct an effective selling strategy.
In your resume you can do this by:
- Discussing your understanding of competitors products in order to get a wider understanding of the market. Explain how you can cater to the customer/client accordingly
- Noting your experience demonstrating the usage of a company’s product
- Explain how you grew the distribution of new products
Mix in these examples into your professional summary and experience section.
We’ll go through this now.
Writing A Concise and Convincing Sales Consultant Resume Summary
When constructing your sales consultant resume summary, make sure you are punchy and informative.
Be concise but don’t scrimp on the details – this is your chance to paint an accurate picture of who you are and what you have achieved.
This is also an opportunity to tell the hiring manager what you will bring to the table.
Use a few sentences to make the hiring manager want to hire you.
3 Sales Consultant Resume Samples - Summary
Here are some samples of sales consultant resume summary sections:
This summary is OKAY but it doesn’t do the candidate justice. Here’s why:
- It lacks specificity
- The wording appears muddled
- While it shows enthusiasm, it doesn’t show results
- It doesn’t quantify your experience, or achievements
Instead, make sure your summary includes DETAILS:
This is much better as it:
- Specifies your specialty
- Is results driven and exhibits your experience
- It shows your enthusiasm for the role
This next sample shows summary sections for a more experienced sales consultant:
This summary isn’t polished and doesn’t do you justice. Here’s why:
- It is too brief
- It doesn’t support its claims of success
- It doesn’t elaborate on the ‘proven ability to efficiently solve customer issues’
Meanwhile, this summary section example does the opposite:
This summary is great:
- It specifies your seniority level
- It highlights your achievements and certifications
- It exudes confidence and capability
Listing the Right Experience for Your Sales Consultant Resume
When writing your experience section, detail your most relevant achievements and responsibilities.
Be sure to relate your experiences, responsibilities and duties to the job you are applying for.
Don’t just brush over what you have done, go into specific detail about what you did and how you did it.
Be results focused.
Your sales consultant experience section should zone in on a few things:
- What you have done at previous companies
- How you did it
- How you benefited the company
- What were the results of your action?
Below are some sales consultant resume experience samples:
2 Sales Consultant Resume Experience Samples
These entries don’t cut it. This is why:
- They are basic
- They don’t show the hiring manager what you will bring to the table
- They don’t show results
This next example is much better:
This is a huge improvement:
- It uses action words. This lets the hiring manager know you will deliver results
- It also provides examples of how you have achieved results before
- It clearly demonstrates your abilities
When creating this section, tailor your experience section to match the requirements of the job description.
Well look into some of the duties of a sales consultant now…
How to Describe the Duties of a Sales Consultant
Listed below are some examples of the responsibilities of sales consultants. Be sure to integrate these examples in your experience and skills section:
- Maintained a comprehensive and extensive knowledge of company products
- Provided customers with product advice suited to their specific needs and interests
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining a database of customers
- Identified supplementary opportunities through researching and monitoring competitor activity
- Effectively sold the value proposition of the company to prospective clients
A good way to make your resume stand out is to really zone in on specific experiences and achievements:
- Make sure to note any awards you have won for your sales or employee of the month awards – this will show your hard work and dedication
- Discuss how you increased the number of company accounts
- Write about how you increased revenue and exceeded customer service expectations
Does Your Sales Consultant Resume Need an Education Section?
The educational requirements for a sales consultant role often vary depending on what kind of product is being sold.
A high school diploma or GCSE’S/A levels are sometimes accepted for entry positions.
A bachelor’s degree is of course preferred, especially if one seeks to later enter a managerial position.
Accepted bachelor’s include, business, marketing and finance.
If the product sold is scientific or technical, having a degree in biology or another science related BSc will really give you an edge.
Training is also often provided on the job in order to familiarise new staff with the company’s products and procedures.
Make sure to refer to any certifications you have trained for or are in the process of training for as well.
Skills to Highlight in Your Sales Consultant Resume
“ Know and understand the science of your business. It is not enough to know closing rates. You must have the data and know the averages for setting appointments, dialing the phone , web conversion rates, click-through rates, commissions, email conversion rates, ect.”
In your skills section make sure you show off the right mix of technical and soft skills.
This section is important because it illustrates your suitability for the job and your adaptability. So really try and sell yourself!
Here are some of the essential technical skills you need to include on your sales consultant resume:
Soft skills are also essential in this role. These include the following:
Make sure to integrate and elaborate on these skills in your experience section.
How to Include Your Certifications on Your Resume
Sales consultancy jobs require sharp thinking and excellent interpersonal skills. Additional certifications however will certainly give you an edge in such a competitive job market.
Certifications assure the hiring manager that you have formal technical training. They show you can create strategies to reach buyers and have the ability to create and use a “personal identity”.
Below are some relevant certifications for a sales consultant:
That’s how to create an unforgettable Sales Consultant resume
Remember, to keep the following things in mind when constructing your sales consultant resume:
- Choose a layout that is visually compelling and easy to read
- Create a header and summary that will leave the hiring manager saying: “We must have them!”
- Tailor your experience to the job description, include keywords and essential skill sets
- Write about your technical knowledge and training as well as your soft skills such as your communication and presentation skills. Show your adaptability