Choosing the right technical and soft skills
Always remember, your resume doesn’t exist in a vacuum, it’s an answer to a specific job.
So, you should tailor it to that job.
Let’s take some text from a Financial Analyst job offered by the World Bank:
- “Strong knowledge of the functionality of applications such as [[Reuters]], [[Summit]] and [[Bloomberg]].
- Demonstrated high level of [[initiative]], [[self-confidence]] and [[self-motivation]].
- Diplomacy and strong interpersonal skills; commitment to work in a [[team-oriented]], [[multi-cultural]] environment; [[detail oriented]].
- Proven capacity to [[multitask]], deliver results and respond quickly and effectively to requests. Ability and desire to meet [[tight deadlines]].
- Excellent [[verbal]] and [[written communication]] and [[presentation]] skills.
- Highest [[ethical]] standards.”
Now let’s pick out the keywords and skills that someone applying to this job should mention:
Reuters, Summit, and Bloomberg (These can be listed as technical skills)
Initiative, self-confidence, and self-motivation (These should be backed up with examples)
Team-oriented, multicultural, detail oriented (These should be backed up with examples)
Multi-task, work quickly, meet deadlines (These should be backed up with examples)
Verbal, written, and presentation communication skills (These should be backed up with examples)
Ethics (These should be backed up with examples)
This is only a portion of the requirements, but it’s already clear that you’ll have a lot of soft skills to demonstrate. When this happens, you can go beyond simply listing them in their own section and try to ensure they are mentioned and backed up in your experience, education, or other resume sections.
Top 5 skills on financial analyst resumes vs job offers
We conducted our own independent research on Indeed.com, analyzing over 100,000 resumes and job listings to determine which skills were most in demand. Based on this research, these are the top 5 most useful skills for a financial analyst to include on their resume and how often they appeared on resume and job descriptions.
If there’s a big gap, that means having that skill will really make you stand out from the competition.