Salesforce is a sea of possibilities to support, organize and improve any business.
But, thrown in the middle of the sea with nothing but a lifebuoy, businesses are often lost and scared.
How do they transition from whatever system they have to Salesforce?
Which features do they need? Is Salesforce the right platform at all?
That’s where you come in.
As a Salesforce Consultant, it’s your job to understand what problems hinder your clients’ performance and provide solutions using Salesforce.
Getting a job as a Salesforce Consultant requires business knowledge, soft skills, and above all, expansive Salesforce knowledge. Can you:
- Set up a custom organization? Configure layouts, custom fields, user access and content?
- Migrate databases from other CRM software?
- Set up Workflow rules and fire off automated emails to customers of the business?
- Do live demonstrations and presentations to a company’s high executives board?
- Connect with several departments and get them to collaborate and work effectively?
Recruiters will heavily scrutinize you every step of the way, starting with your Salesforce Consultant resume.
The fact is, a weak resume will never get you an interview, much less the job.
In this article, we’ll teach you how to construct an effective Salesforce Consultant resume which gets more interviews and helps you land a better job each time you’re up for the challenge.
Here’s what this guide will teach you how to
- Review and analyze 8 Salesforce Consultant sample resumes and find the areas for improvement
- Pick an effective resume layout which communicates the maximum amount of information in just one page
- Write an impactful resume header and summary which create an impact
- Properly articulate your work experience, providing facts and figures
- Position your Salesforce skills, business skills and problem solving abilities
- Find space for your Salesforce certificates and education
Salesforce Consultant Resume example
Need to see related Salesforce resume examples?
How to write a Salesforce Consultant resume
You are critical to the success of your clients’ business ventures.
Naturally, this means they will only hire people with credentials which inspire confidence and trust.
Being a technology platform, strong technical skills are needed, as you will do a lot of configuration, setup and training with your client’s employees.
Obviously, you must know Salesforce like the back of your hand:
- What are the capabilities of the platform?
- What ready made tools and solutions can you offer out of the box?
- What custom applications can help your clients grow and optimize their operations?
- Where does Salesforce excel and what are its limitations?
That said, your daily job as a Salesforce Consultant requires mainly soft skills.
Communicationis the most sought after skill on Salesforce Consultant resumes.
You will need to communicate daily with your clients, attend meetings, present strategies, interact with developers & administrators, negotiate, develop training programs and report constantly.
Finally, to get the interview, your resume must convey in depth understanding of how businesses work and how to elevate them to the next level using Salesforce.
It’s the junction of these three directions that makes up a great Salesforce Consultant resume.
However, recruiters only spend a minute on each resume at best. You have just a few lines to grab their attention before your application ends up in the wrong pile.
The first step is to pick a proper Salesforce Consultant resume layout.
Choose the best the Salesforce Consultant resume template
There are several resume layouts to choose from:
- Reverse-chronological - a resume layout which displays your work experience at the top in a timeline format
- Functional - a resume layout which focuses on your skills and proficiencies
- Hybrid - a resume layout which focuses on what’s most relevant to the particular job offer - skills and work experience
A hybrid layout is suitable for Salesforce Consultant resumes because it gives you the best chance to connect with your recruiter.
If it’s a business owner, they would like to work with somebody who already understands their pain points and can provide solutions which work immediately.
They don’t want to train you, but rather you train them.
On the other hand, a Salesforce Consultant agency would much like to see consistent performance during your past employments. In this case,the reverse-chronological layout is more suitable.
Top 5 sections to include in your Salesforce Consultant resume
- Resume header clearly listing your name, title and contact information
- Resume summary that strikes a chord with the job description
- Work experience section which demonstrates how you used Salesforce to solve problems for your clients
- Abilities section for your technical prowess and people skills
- Education and certification sections to back up your claims
Let's look at each Salesforce Consultant resume section in more detail.
What makes a great Salesforce Consultant resume header
If you’ve ever dealt with CRM software, you’d know that incomplete contact details can mean failure to provide services to that particular customer.
What does it say about you if your Salesforce Consultant resume is missing a phone number?
If you can’t pay attention to your own contact details, how can you manage a customer database with thousands and even tens of thousands of records?
At the bare minimum include your:
- Full name
- City and state
- Trailhead profile link
Let’s examine a couple of Salesforce Consultant sample resumes.
So, what’s wrong here?
For a start, the phone number is missing. This shows either ignorance or lack of attention. Both will lose you the job immediately.
Even worse, the title is wrong.
Salesforce Specialist may well be the same as a Salesforce Consultant.
But automated HR software can easily discard this resume and nobody will bother to check in the rejected pile.
Make sure you use the same words you read in the job description.
This sample is way better!
The title uses the proper keywords and adds further details about the daily responsibilities of the candidate.
The applicant has listed their phone and their Trailhead profile. Salesforce has its own education platform.
Anybody who claims to have in-depth knowledge will have a ton of badges in their Trailhead account.
If you have a GitHub profile or a personal website, include that one too.
Now that you have your recruiter’s, it’s time to produce a real impact with your summary.
How to write a Salesforce Consultant resume summary or objective
The summary is arguably the most important section on your resume. Recruiters often just scan the header and summary to judge whether you’re relevant to the job offer.
If you don’t catch them here, it probably doesn’t matter what you say in your work experience section.
Here are the basic rules you need to follow in your summary:
- Keep it short and concise
- Use keywords from the job description
- Include your Salesforce experience and business skills
- Include your Trailhead certification
Review the following Salesforce Consultant resume samples. Notice the structure used in each one.
2 Salesforce Consultant Resume summary examples
Experienced Salesforce Consultant and Administrator. I’ve worked with Salesforce for more than 6 years - 2 years as an Administrator and Sales person at a musical instrument renting company. I’ve set up dozens of organizations throughout my career.
We’ve seen worse summaries, but this one is hardly impressive.
First, it confuses the reader whether the applicant is a Salesforce Consultant or a Salesforce Administrator.
The first encompasses the second, but not the other way around. Administrators usually lack the business skills necessary to take charge of the Salesforce integration and strategy.
Second, the applicant describes their experience somewhat, but where they could have included some of their skills and proficiencies, they wasted precious space to talk about their previous employer.
Senior Salesforce Consultant with 7+ years of experience helping businesses onboard Salesforce and use the tools to improve their operations. Has performed Business Analysis, Salesforce Integration, CRM administration, APEX development. Holds 6/9 SF Consultant Certifications.
The second sample is the same length, but holds much more information about the applicant and their Salesforce abilities.
There is no doubt that this candidate has plenty of experience.