According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Top Executives positions are at a 8% growth rate, which is as fast as average. With that said, there are currently 2,704,400 jobs in the market right now. The total number of jobs is expected to increase by 209,500 to 2,913,900 in the period of 2020-30.
What’s more, the median annual wage for the Top Executives jobs was $107,680 in May 2020. The lowest 10% earned less than $45,850, and the highest 10% more than $208,000.
Our conclusion? The Top Executives job market is wide open for candidates.
Top department manager sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
What to include in your Department Manager resume experience section
Department manager resume experience section checklist:
- Use at least 3 and no more than 7 bullet points per position;
- Make your experience sound relevant to what you’re applying for;
- Combine responsibilities, results, and critical situations that you’ve handled well;
- Show that you’re willing to take up on challenges;
- Include numbers in any form you like.
Looking for some real experience section examples? We’ve gathered the best Department Manager resume samples to help you. Check them out before building your own resume!
- Work with the team to improve team delivery commitments and capacity planning for sprints by identifying & tracking hidden tasks that increased customer satisfaction
- Coach and trained new members in early delivery/ adaptation
- Lead teams to carry out value for money activities .
- Assisted store manager with employee functions, loss prevention, merchandising in compliance with the company policies and procedures
- Analyzed and interpret reports to facilitate company directives
- Managed and motivated team members to drive productivity and professional development
- Responsible for increasing customer store experience
- Provided coaching and guidance to assist store manager so that they can reinforce learning with their team
- Addressed customer inquiries and resolved complaints
- Monitor and drive sales based on available resources, long term planning of floor/dept, foreseeing potential issues and actively seeking potential solutions.
- Managing space to maximise sales opportunities thus increasing stock turnover.
- Being ambassador for the Company by delivering excellent customer service and highlighting the companies social and corporate responsibilities to staff and customers.
- Created a tracking report for the area manager outlining area sales for the mens trending area.
- Leading, developing, coaching and mentoring staff and junior members of the management team thus increasing staff morale, positive and productive working environment.
- Provide support and advise to my colleagues on potential sale opportunities, layout ideas and offer guidance on how to use the systems available effectively.
- Consistently look at ways of doing things more cost efficiently, actively encouraging innovative thinking within my teams.
- Looking to improve the VM standards throughout the store from a commercial and fashion point of view.
- Greeting and serving customers.
- Driving Sales and Customer services.
- Ensure that your department is providing excellent customer service
on the the store floor, in the fitting rooms and the cash desk.
- Implement and follow up sales activities together with the store team.
- Inventory Management.
- Reduction of shrinkage & Total Loss.
- Maintain All Store reports and data analysis.
- Maintain Hygiene and ensure the store floor and store vicinity is neat
and clean all the time.
- Set the vision and the communication strategy: the right content has to serve multiple departments/usage and reach and engage with thousands of users
- Support the digital team across search, e-com, social, having always the right content, in the right format, at the right time
- Work with Partners (Google, YouTube, Facebook), and Agencies to advance the Digital Journey in a multi-year strategy to achieve the business goals (Chatbot, AR and VR projects)
- Deliver consistently against assigned goals on new and existing content pieces while prioritizing and delivering an excellent user experience for the 6M community and more
- Leading the B2B pricing strategy, translating METRO's value proposition into customer tailored tools and campaigns
- Building market leading price perception for HoReCa and traditional traders
- Implement target group specific programs to maximise customer lifetime value
- Control and monitor customer profitability
- Oversees all of the engineering department including 4 sections; crane equipment, mobile equipment, civil and facility, and refrigerated container equipment.
- Drive and ensure the performance of the engineering department.
- Monitor and control the cost spend from maintenance related activity.
- Maximize and utilize the equipment availability.
- Minimize the potential risks from equipment breakdown.
- Analyze and forecast the equipment breakdown.
- Ensure the cross functional interaction between Operation and Engineering department.
- Negotiate and choose the efficient equipment specifications.
- Supervise and coordinate with accounting and procurement department for technical spare part matters.
- Proactively apply the best practice and innovation in the container terminal industry to company.
- Leadership role in process improvement for Process Excellence and Kaizen approach as assigned by CEO.
- Oversees the engineering department in crane equipment section.
- Ensure the crane section performance.
- Ensure the crane preventive maintenance.
- Provide the comprehensive solution for equipment breakdown issue.
- Cooperate with operation department to utilize the crane efficiency.
- Improve the working process of engineering department.
- Responsible for foreign engineering related project.
- Conduct the manpower improvement program for maintenance personnel.
- I built and managed a department within a company responsible for 5 national contracts
- Responsible for a 30% increase in revenue within the department while also stream lining and introducing new and refined office processes
- Onboarded 3 new contracts whilst retaining 2 current contracts in just 7 months
- I have 9 team members who report directly to myself. This includes organising the day to day workload of office administrators and gas / heating engineers
- Installing and configuring computer hardware operating systems and applications.
- Monitoring and maintaining computer systems and networks.
- Talking staff or clients through a series of actions, either face-to-face or over the telephone, to help set up systems or resolve issues.
- replacing parts as required.
- Providing support, including procedural documentation and relevant reports.
- Following diagrams and written instructions to repair a fault or set up a system.
- Developing sector legislation and procedures.
- Analysing the sector and aspects of growth.
- Developing events content.
- Management of a team of three sales engineers.
- Cost reduction of 14.8% in two years through logistics and stock optimizations.
- 30% employee reduction through load plans reorganization.
- E.P.C.C. of a water treatment installation of more than 360M FCFA deep in the country.
- Optimization of the WCR by regulating imports and organising theof working capital by regulating imports and limiting the stock to forecast needs.
- Increase in gross margin by 17 points.
- +5 new customers in 3 years and obtaining contracts in 3 additional industrial groups.
- Product and reagent turnover growth of 18% per year.
- 2.3% increase in net margin in fiscal year 2020.
- Manage an electronics production with 120+ employees and customers located in Europe and the USA
- Increased manufacturing process reliability by 5% by driving planned and autonomous maintenance
- Improved inventory accuracy rate by factor 5 through implementing warehouse management control systems and an effective cycle counting program
- Delivered 13% YOY productivity increase
- Defect Handling RTT DMS Site Owner (IWS AM SWP)
- Developed a standard PowerBi tool for Defect Handling in MHF & GYG sites
- Supervision of technical support team, including help-desk, remote-desk, workshop, and field technicians covering over 30 buildings.
- Management of technicians rotations and resource allocation.
- Supervision of overall hardware requirements and procurement, including toners, inks, new and spare parts.
- Analysis of students, faculty and administration technical utility needs.
- Analysis of colleges requirements for hardware, software and technical tutorials.
- Preparation of RFP and analysis of bids for upcoming projects.
- Administration of currently running projects and meeting contractors.
- Periodic deanship visits to ensure satisfaction and utilization of provided services.
- Periodic meetings with the IT deanship to update on workflow and current projects.
- Manage $70M budget for the Department of Pediatrics within the Calgary Zone.
- Oversee all budgets and funding related to AHS Pediatrics, including funds from the University of Calgary and the Academic Medicine and Health Services Program (AMHSP).
- Oversight of Pediatric physician recruitment and remuneration, physician contract management, privileging into hospital sites, and workforce planning/physician resources.
- Effectively work in a dyad model with the Zone Clinical Department Head- make decisions, provide advise and leadership to all Department of Pediatric members including 400 Pediatric physicians within the Calgary Zone.
- Manage all Pediatric Residents, Fellows, Researchers, and Clinical Assistants- working closely with the Cumming School of Medicine at the University of Calgary.
- Developed the Wellness Task Force for the Department of Pediatrics (Physician Wellness Task Force), and presently the Co-chair of the Task Force.
- Collaborate and provide guidance to 19 Sub Specialty areas and Pediatric Section Heads associated with each Sub-Specialty area- support each Section in providing the best care to our Pediatric demographic.
- Created a strategy roadmap for the Department of Pediatrics- short term and long term vision, including prioritizing initiatives.
- Leading Connect Care Wave 4, 5, 6 training for all Pediatric physicians and Department of Pediatrics staff.
Don't make the same mistake everyone else does. What we mean is, don't list your Department Manager job responsibilities instead of your achievements. Recruiters know what you do. They want to know what kind of difference you can bring to their company. Focus on what you've accomplished.
Action Verbs for your Department Manager Resume
Top department manager skills for your resume
Department manager resume skills section checklist:
- Match your hard skills to the job description;
- Add keywords to pass applicant tracking systems;
- Don’t list soft skills such as ’teamwork’ – rather, mention how they’ve helped you gain success in some other sections of your Department Manager resume;
- List only skills you actually have, keep lying out of the picture.
Top skills for your department manager resume
Point of Sales Systems
Consistency and Reliability
Empathy and sensitivity
Mentoring and coaching
Don’t feel obliged to spend a separate section for your soft skills - you can weave them throughout your job experience or career summary. But, don’t just write empty words - back them with examples.
Department manager resume header: tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist for your department manager resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Some companies, states, and countries have policies about identifying information like photos on your Department Manager resume. Be sure to check all the relevant rules before submitting yours. If you’re in doubt, you can always try contacting the company’s HR department to ask for their policy.
Craft a strong department manager resume summary
Department manager resume summary checklist:
- Your total years of experience
- The industry you’re coming from
- One or two most remarkable accomplishments that have helped you - turn into a great professional
- Short sentences that add value – avoid filler words and phrases
Resume summary formula:
Highlight specific past projects that you’re most proud of in your summary. It sets an excellent tone for the rest of your resume. You can talk about all of your former jobs in your work experience section later on.
Highlight your education, certifications, and courses
What to include in your education and courses sections:
- Your highest education degree – this includes institution, course, and duration
- Certifications and courses that have helped you gain additional expertise
- Awards you’ve received as part of your education
- Entry-level positions only: relevant classes and projects
Top Certifications for your Department Manager Resume
New Manager: The Basics and More of Being a Great Leader
Go from a slightly uncertain, confused newbie to a confident, skilled manager who builds and leads effective teams.
Management Skills: New Manager Training Update 2022
Management Skills Certification in Developing People, Leading Teams & Process Improvement in the New Hybrid Work Culture
The Superboss Playbook for Managers
Discover how top managers develop high potential talent, lead by teaching, and foster creative, high-performance teams.
Communications for New Managers
Learn from an Emmy-Award Winner and a #1 LinkedIn Instructor on developing effective leadership communications skills.
Management Crash Course: Tactical Training for New Managers
Master Real World Management Skills -- Practical Exercises to Help You Tackle the 7 Challenges that Every Manager Faces
If you hold a certain major and a minor, your majors should be mentioned first.
Drafting a Job-winning Department Manager Resume
When drafting your resume, you can choose between three well-known formats:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional skills-based resume format;
- Combination (or Hybrid) resume format.
Which format you decide to go for depends on two things: your personal preference and how experienced you are.
The reverse-chronological format is ideal for both really experienced people and those who joined the workforce just a couple of years ago. It’s also great if your experience combines different industries and jobs. Here, your most recent position comes at the top of your resume.
The functional skills-based resume format, on the other hand, is ideal for recent graduates or people who have no work experience whatsoever. It’s built around your skills, interests, and expertise. Ultimately, its goal is to show recruiters your biggest strengths and practical skills.
Combination resumes (also known as hybrid resumes) are great for all types of candidates – be they graduates, experienced professionals, or brave career changers. They usually follow a double-column format – one side focuses on your experience, while the other emphasizes your education, skills, interests, and accomplishments.
Here’s our resume format and style checklist:
- Choose a traditional resume font sized 12p;
- Go for standard 1-inch resume margins;
- Match the length of your Department Manager resume with your experience – choose a one-page template if you have less than 10 years of experience, and be careful with two-page templates;
- Send your resume in PDF – in this way, you’ll avoid formatting issues and potential editing from third parties.
And in case you want to go the extra mile, check out our guide for crafting a resume that stands out.
Test your draft Department Manager resume by sending it out to peers and mentors in your circles. Ask them to review it as if they are hiring you for a project and implement the feedback afterwards.
Other sections worth including in your department manager resume
Including other sections in your resume depends on the company, the position, and, ultimately, the industry. Here are some sections that will help you spice things up:
A department manager resume that stands out
Recruiters look at tens of resumes every day. That’s why helping them remember yours is crucial for landing an interview.
A creative resume can help you show off both your personality and your expertise at the same time.
Creative sections about passions, favorite books, quotes, and even your daily routine are a great way to make your resume feel like a breath of fresh air.
What’s more, it will also point recruiters to the fact that you’re attentive to detail and can think outside the box of Word-generated black and white resumes.
What makes a great department manager resume: key takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.