Looking for a job can often be a long and frustrating process, that you don’t really want to deal with, but directly get to your next job opportunity.
It might sound like a dream for someone else to go through the tedious process in your place, but it might be closer to reality than you think.
There are certain professionals out there who can help you navigate this process and increase your chances of getting hired.
These professionals are called headhunters, and by working with one, you will have access to someone with both experience and insight for your job search.
It might sound confusing, but we are here to help by answering the following questions:
- What is a headhunter?
- Should you work with a headhunter to get a job?
- How to find a headhunter?
And we are going to wrap things up with some great tips and tricks for finding the right headhunter for your job search.
So, if you are ready to find the right headhunter to help you out with your next job search, stick around.
What is a headhunter?
A headhunter (or an external recruiter) is a contracted individual who is hired to find the best candidates for a specific job.
Internal recruiters usually seek the help of headhunters when they need to fill a particular position very quickly.
Headhunters are usually known for having a large network where they can search for potential candidates.
They are also very detail-oriented, have great interpersonal skills, and can navigate quickly through their network to find the best match for a position.
Headhunters are often hired to fill senior or executive positions, as they are harder to fill and often require someone with specialized experience.
Also, headhunters typically don’t work directly for a company, but through an external agency or search firm.
Should you work with a headhunter to get a job?
What you need to understand about headhunters is that an important aspect of their job is to successfully match you with a company that hires for your position.
So, there is really no downside to working with a headhunter to get your next job.
Headhunters, as well as recruiters, also have some inside information about positions, that is not available to the public, so they will make sure you get an interview for a position that would match your expectations.
Furthermore, many headhunters would not stop with just getting you an interview, but would also guide you though the hiring process, and advertise your abilities.
They can also offer key insight about developing your resume and skills to find a job, and couch you to make sure that you are well-prepared for your interview.
How to find a headhunter?
Now that you understand that a headhunter can be of great help to your job search, it is time to figure out how to find one.
There are a few good methods you can use, and we are going to go through them all.
Ask people in your network for a referral
One of the best ways to find a headhunter is if someone refers them to you.
Try asking around your network for any professionals that have worked with a headhunter before, and make a list of them.
Don’t worry if your list is not too long, especially if you are looking for a headhunter who specializes in a specific industry.
Search networking sites
Another place you can get a referral for a headhunter is within networking sites.
But that’s also a great place to conduct your own research with a keyword search.
Go through business news stories
Something else to keep an eye on are news stories.
Typically, when a major happening is announced within a company, they mention the agency that has been hired to do the job.
From there on, you can conduct your own research by looking into the headhunter’s name or the agency online.
Join an industry group
Another strategy you can use to get in touch with a headhunter is to think of them as a group.
Just like many groups, they have associations or industry groups that are relevant to their specialty.
By joining such organizations, you can have access to the list of members, and you will have the chance to network with headhunters who are also members.
Tips and tricks for finding the right headhunter
And now, as promised, we are going to share with you the best tips and tricks you need to follow to find the best headhunter for your job hunt.
To get the best out of a headhunter, you need to:
- Find one who specializes in your industry – headhunters usually work as representatives for certain companies, so you should find one who specializes in your industry
- Research the headhunter before working together – there are always headhunters who are more efficient than others, so you can save yourself some time and resources by first researching who you are going to work with
- Ask the headhunter about their honest opinion – they can always provide some valuable insight, so don’t miss out on asking them for any suggestions they might have for enhancing your resume
- Don’t stop your own job hunt – headhunters often work to fill positions at specific companies, so it is wise to continue your own job hunt as well, as long as you keep your headhunter posted on where you have applied
We are all done, now you know how to effectively find the best headhunter to help you with your job hunt.
Let’s go through the best way to find a headhunter once again:
- Ask people in your network for a referral – the best strategy you can have is to ask other professionals in your network who have used headhunters’ services for a referral
- Search networking sites – that’s another place you can use to find headhunter referrals, but you can also conduct your own research
- Go through business news stories – as headhunters or agencies will usually be mentioned there, and you can later research them online
- Join an industry group – as headhunters often have associations, and if you can join them, you can more easily network with them
Check out our tips and tricks once again, and find the best headhunter to help you out with your next job hunt.