Top department head sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
A department head resume experience section to be proud of
Writing a strong experience section for your department head resume.
- List your previous jobs in chronological or reverse-chronological format;
- Use no more than 4-6 bullets per position;
- Mention only relevant work experience;
- Describe the tasks you were responsible for and how you managed to exceed expectations;
- Show you’re able to take charge by choosing action verbs over buzzwords.
Looking for real-life examples of what a strong experience section looks like? Check out our suggestions below!
- Launched new Small Business Banking department from ground up including recruiting and hiring staff, creating incentive plans, instituting governance routines and launching new product and client experience platforms.
- Led enterprise-wide initiative to fully automate credit underwriting decisions including model development, process changes and roll-out leading to the best lending performance in 10 years and over 200% growth from the prior year.
- Launched the remote business lending channel in Arizona from the ground up including building infrastructure, hiring, and leading through change management issues.
- Relocated product staff to Arizona (7 FTE); reduced size of product staff and maintained same productivity by proactively managing through change, gaining buy-in with critical partners and by continuously seeking feedback from constituents.
- Recognized by the CEO for leading initiatives across the enterprise to reduce paperwork needed for treasury and lending products (13 pages to 2 pages).
- Managed the overall creative/design requirements ranging from web development, supermarket concessions, events, wine dinners, special projects, other design-oriented and non-design related requirements.
- Lead Designer: Wine Museum – managed the project from conceptualization, execution and post-work improvements.
- Lead Designer/Part Organizer: Grand Wine Experience
- Conducted extensive researches on international political and economic affairs. Managed news gathering, analysis and reporting including breaking news and feature stories, with a strong ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Led the daily operations of international news channel for China Daily website, as the youngest deputy department head appointed in the newsroom. Increased the daily page views from 4 million to 12 million. Developed China Daily’s social media and convergence strategy and tripled the number of followers online.
- Managed two business projects, growing revenues from RMB 1.5 million to 2.4 million, increasing client base from 68 to over 100 and market share by 10%.
- Organized and hosted over 60 web-chats, interviews and off-line events with visiting politicians (e.g. Hillary Clinton and Tony Blair), entrepreneurs, opinion leaders and academia, over a wide range of topics for editorial and marketing purposes.
- Independently developed a solid network of contacts in government, businesses, media organizations and research institutions.
- Organized internal training of different kinds for junior journalists on research, information sourcing and database management.
- Reported on bilateral cooperation between China and Europe for China Daily London Office from 2012 to 2013 as a part-time reporter.
- Awarded China Daily Employees of the Year in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Awarded China News Awards in 2009 and 2011.
- Lead a team of 15 educators across two work locations.
- Proven organisational skills, with the ability to communicate persuasively, engage in active listening, consult with a wide range of stakeholders and coordinate working teams and small groups.
- Engaged openly with performance review and planning.
- Demonstrated capacity to utilise ICTs to enhance engagement.
- Opened the first branch in France following the drafting of the business plan
- Set up, coordinated and managed 2 members teams to establish and delver a range of services
- Managed over CAD$ 520,000 government purchasing contracts related to various industrial equipment, softwares (57%) and services (43%)
- Negotiated partnership agreements with a French based company for technical support in remote sensing and GIS
- Successful migration of over 120k Windows NT accounts to Win7
- Achieved a 20% cost reduction by building an ODC and off-shoring over 100 applications
- Successful implementation of the MiFID1 wealth management requirements in all European locations and core banking systems
- Successful migration of the Asia legacy Cash and Securities processing systems to the new leveraged Swiss core banking system
- Streamlined the UBS's Software Development Lifecycle & Tools department
- Architecturally designed and implemented the product-contract-customer framework for the new UBS core banking system
- Successful migration of 6.5m client accounts and 2.2m custody accounts the new UBS core banking System
- Responsible for managing digital marketing and channel development on Mobile & Web Platforms and Digital Payment Systems.
- Managing shared service approach at related areas for business lines. Creating digital strategy on marketing and future of digital banking.
- Cigdem lives in İstanbul with her cat . She also plays Ps, running and likes travel and gastronomy...
- Management and coordination of a team of 7 supervisors, 2 help supervisors and up to 90 operators
- Planning of production activities in compliance with procedures and time, interfacing with logistics, laboratories and QA
- Management of GMP and EH&S procedures and technical issues troubleshooting
- Responsible with digital marketing, managed marketing budget and digital channels on Mobile & Web & Social Media platforms, digital payment systems.
- Managing shared service approach at related areas for business lines.
- Creating digital strategy on marketing and future of digital banking.
- Managing all Digital Marketing and Sales Management activities about all Digital Banking products. -Brand partnerships, sponsorships management and campaign management for Digital Wallet and Payment System for fastPay. Increased collaborations with Yemeksepeti.com, Turkcell, Eataly, Big Chefs, Hillside Group, Bahcesehir University, etc... -Digital Banking and Digital Marketing at Deniz Academy and Universities as a speaker.
- Leading largest academic division on campus comprised of 80 faculty, 9 direct reports, and 3500 students
- Competently served as interim Dean of B&PS for summer 2015; 4 years of Dean pro tem service
- Led a diverse group of cross-disciplinary faculty through repeated performance measures with laudable results
- Managed a zero-based budget for 3 disparate college units comprised of 8 full-time and up to 12 adjunct faculty
- Critical committee service as SACS-COC faculty rep, AVP for C&I hiring group, faculty senate, and QEP communications group
- Upped the professionalism of employees
- Controlled chemicals, temperature, pump room and cleanliness
- Mentored new employees and managed staff, continuing education into the summer months
- Managed all aspects of business from operations, training to general administration
- Monitored sales and profitability through cost-cutting and profit - preserving measures
- Created and implemented HR policies ensuring compliance to DOLE and other legal, governmental and business agencies
- In charge of sales and marketing, financial planning and staffing
- Part of the opening team that launched ten branches of ACA Video and other business franchise under ACA Group of Companies
- Responsible for the oversight of all projects and project team resources, liaison and support within the Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei regions (8 DR, ~100 Freelancers)
- Product Manager for the development of an Online Educational Learning Platform; a SGD$5M contract and joint venture between the Singapore Ministry of Education (MOE) and the Infocomm Development Authority (iDA)
- Significant growth of educational programmes led to over 100 freelance trainers hired and trained in 18 months under my direction
- Led annual sales planning and forecasting process achieving <1% variance to plan across three planning cycles
- Implemented new strategic planning process and monthly operations review for MBUSA senior leadership - COO and GM, Aftersales
- Identified key strategic programs to grow the business with $10m+ impact over 18 month cycle through innovative analytic solutions
- Managed team of nine new employees with no prior industry experience at highest levels of performance
- Provided strategic advisory services on marketing initiatives, programs and customer insight gathering
- Led the development of a new custom analytic to measure and enhance dealer purchase behavior based on vehicle and customer dynamics
- Spearheaded the use of weather trend data to correlate and forecast dealership service volumes and sales performance
The person reading your Department Head resume will be busy, make sure you never waste their time with fluff.
Action verbs for your department head resume
Taking Control of Your Department Head Resume’s Skills Section
A skills section that shows what you’re capable of includes:
- Keywords from the job advert to help you pass ATS;
- Both hard and soft skills, incl. technical skills and people skills;
- Skills that are relevant to the position you’re applying for;
- No more than 15 skills – to keep your resume readable.
Top skills for your department head resume
Customer Relationship Management
Consistency and Reliability
Empathy and sensitivity
Mentoring and coaching
When describing your experience, don’t go too far from its terminology. Recruiters use ATS systems to filter resumes based on them having certain keywords, so make sure you use at least a few keywords mentioned in the job description.
Department head resume header: tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist for your department head resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Include a link to your portfolio in your Department Head resume header. Most companies will require that you include one in your resume, and even if they don’t, it’s an excellent opportunity to directly show them your proudest projects.
A department head resume summary that spotlights your achievements
Checklist: a strong Department Head resume summary:
- Use adjectives that highlight the character traits you’re most proud of;
- Mention 1-2 of your biggest achievements;
- Add keywords from the job advert to increase your chances of passing ATS;
- Keep the recruiter’s attention by going for short sentences.
Resume Summary Formula:
Your summary section should act as a professional taster. Use it wisely. Effectively convey your professional profile and let the hiring manager know that if they hire you, they won’t be disappointed. Make sure to include keywords from the job description too! Elaborate on your abilities further in your experience section. Again, cater to the job description.
Creating an impressive education section for your department head resume
The education section: checklist
- List your degrees in reverse-chronological order;
- Include your degree subject, place of study, name of institution, and year of graduation;
- Add a line or two about your relevant certifications;
- Mention some classes and projects that have helped you gain additional skills.
Top Certifications for Your Department Head Resume
Indian Head Massage Diploma Course: Relax Your Way To Bliss!
Fully Accredited Course! Learn the massage techniques of Indian Head Massage to take your clients into total relaxation!
Video and Film Art Department Fundamentals
Working in the Art Department on a Film or Video set
How to Draw a Dragon Head I Cartoon Heads Drawing Animation
Learn to Draw Fantasy Dragons Art for Beginners - The Easy Way
The Ultimate Face & Head Drawing Course - for beginners
Drawing the human face made simple!
Customer Support Business planning
Management Series 1 by the Customer Support School
There are dozens of certifications that you can claim as a Department Head. But, some are more effective than others. That’s why you mustn’t include every certificate other applicants might have. Try instead to earn and list a few of the difficult ones.
A professional format for your Department Head resume
There are some aspects worth taking into consideration when choosing the format of your Department Head resume. These include the position and company you’re applying for, your total years of experience, whether you’ve been through some employment gaps, and so on.
Generally speaking, there are three basic resume formats for you to choose from:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional skills-based resume format;
- Combination (or Hybrid) resume format.
The reverse-chronological resume format is just that: all your jobs listed in a reverse-chronological way, starting from the most recent and moving backward. It’s great for highly experienced professionals with over 10 years in the industry behind their backs. The reason for this: it’s almost entirely focused on experience and achievements.
The functional skills-based resume format, on the other hand, is just the opposite. It’s based on your skills, personality, and expertise. It highlights what you’re capable of even when you don’t have sufficient work experience. This makes it great for students, recent graduates, or people with larger career gaps.
If neither of these sounds like you, go for the combination resume format. It’s a combination of the best characteristics of other formats, which makes it great for showcasing different aspects of your career and education. It also gives you plenty of options to choose from – in terms of colors, structure, and sections.
Check out our additional tips on perfecting your Department Head resume’s style and layout:
- Choose traditional 1-inch resume margins;
- Go for a serif or sans serif resume font that’s easy to read yet looks professional (e.g. Arial, Verdana, or Calibri);
- Keep your Department Head resume short: one-page template are preferable, but if you have over 10 years of experience, you can also go for a two-page format;
- Save your resume as PDF and choose a suitable name, e.g. NameSurnameResume;
Tired of looking for ways to make your resume stand out? Read this article!
Sometimes you’ll want to go after a job which requires more experience than you have. Instead of using a typical Department Head resume layout, you can use a creative layout. Getting noticed is the most important challenge and a creative resume layout might help you get invited for an interview as most of other accountants have boring resume designs.
Additional Sections for Your Department Head Resume
After drafting the required sections of your Department Head resume, it’s now time to move to something a bit more fun. There are a number of sections you can add to your resume depending on the company, the position, and how you’re feeling in general:
Adding the right kind of creativity to your department head resume
It is through creativity that we express ourselves. And trust us, it’s important to show at least a bit of your personality if you want to leave a strong first impression.
But what are the ways to add creativity to your Department Head resume? Well, you can either go for a colorful and engaging template, or you could add some out-of-the-box sections, such as ‘life philosophy’ or ‘what my typical day looks like’.
It’s up to you! Just make sure that the level of creativity matches the position, the company, and the industry you’re applying for.
What Makes a Great Department Head Resume: Key Takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.