According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Business Unit Manager positions are at a 14% growth rate, which is faster than average. With that said, there are currently 907,600 jobs in the market right now. The total number of jobs is expected to increase by 124,400 to 1,032,000 in the period of 2020-30.
What’s more, the median annual wage for the Business Unit Manager jobs was $87,660 in May 2020. The lowest 10% earned less than $50,990, and the highest 10% more than $156,840.
Our conclusion? The Business Unit Manager job market is wide open for candidates.
Top business unit manager sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
Writing a job-winning experience section: Business Unit Manager resume edition
Business unit manager resume experience section: dos and don'ts
- List 4-6 bullet points per position;
- Include only relevant job experience;
- Make sure to highlight your strongest skills by focusing on the challenges you’ve faced and the results you’ve achieved;
- Don’t use buzzwords that carry no meaning;
- Don’t share confidential information about your previous employers.
If you prefer to be led by example, check out some great Business Unit Manager resume experience section snippets below!
- Managing pre-sales for the Business unit
- Growing our specilization around Microsoft's products
- Consulting & project's follow up for our clients: BNP Paribas, L'Oréal, Ferring Pharmaceutical, ...
- HR duties (carreer development, Salary & Performance reviews)
- New talents aquisition (Research & Interviews)
- Partnership creation with external companies : Improvement of the business network and services quality for our clients
- Huawei enterprise solutions lead (budget responsibility)
- Segments; Network, Storage & Servers
- Increased partner account portfolio by 400% (from 3 (2017) to 15 (2018))
- Increase revenue 600% 2017/2018
- Solidified and expanded vendor relationship
- Achieving distribution (VAD) KPI's (Securing back end rebates)
- Organised pipeline building activities (sales + tech webinars/seminars/ updates/events/training, end-customer meetings)
- Ensuring internal Huawei capabilities (sales/technical certifications)
- Increased channel visibility via self produced video content (events, webinars and awareness campaigns for Huawei, Pedab & Clavister)
- Assist Territory Manager team under supervision in developing targeted promotions in order to address specific local / regional BPWATTS & BOWATTS
- Regular performance review based on KPI by region and develop regional business plans
- Successfull coaching and onboarding of MBA Students, ASPIRE candidates and New Hire colleagues
- Awards: EMEA Gold Club 2018, TITANIUM, Excellence in Solution Sales
- Achieved 200% in Sales Revenue target on a consistent basis
- Headed up the Operations & Collections teams (200+ staff)
- Achieved an average of $165K in annual premium, generating $81K in FYC
- Improved funnel conversion from 5.3% to 11.8%
- Built studio that successfully delivered VFX on 100+ films
- Exceeded business plan objectives : €8.5M+ of revenues and €1.5M of Net Profit in 2017
- Meticulous budget management ($5M+) with no negative deviation
- Set-up and managed AAA team of 125+ on 2 locations
- Project leader on the creation of the Brussels and Paris offices/infrastructures (Agile planning, team coordination, designs and technical drawings validations, negotiations with suppliers, …)
- Implementation of Agile methodologies that delivered 10+ projects /year
- Built strong relationship with BOD with a full level of trust and transparency
- Set up the team of 8 sales (fte's) and led them to double digit growth
- Successfully integrated international processes
- Set up the strategic commercial plan and marketing positioning of the sales team
- Document & Business Process Management
- Business Intelligence and Data Analytics
- Customer Relationship Management
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- Application Development
- Application Life-cycle Management
- Sviluppo del modello di business di tre prodotti verticali in ambito Human Resource, E-Procurement, Productivity
- Definizione piani Marketing strategico ed operativo
- Speaker ad eventi mirati ai Business Decision Makers
- Leading the Products Manager gruop at Acer Hungary
- Handling communications with EMEA BU Management, PM Management
- Weekly meeting / call with Regional / Territory Manager about the Hungarian market / Weekly-Montly trends
- Reporting about partners sellout / stock situation and portfolio managment
Check the Business Unit Manager job description for inspiration. Look for similarities between your employer’s values and your experience.
Action verbs for your business unit manager resume
An impressive skills section for your business unit manager resume
Writing a skills section that stands out:
- Check the job advert for keywords that you can use: this will help you pass ATS;
- Focus on relevant and valuable skills that will support your application;
- Make sure to include both hard and technical skills, leaving soft skills for other sections of your Business Unit Manager resume;
- Don’t list skills you don’t have.
Top skills for your business unit manager resume
When picking skills to feature in your resume, make sure they'll be relevant to the position you’re applying to. The point of listing skills is for you to stand out from the competition. Stay away from repetitive, meaningless skills that everyone uses in their resumes. Or else, they’ll backfire and make you look like an average candidate.
Business unit manager resume header: tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist for your business unit manager resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Include a link to your portfolio in your Business Unit Manager resume header. Most companies will require that you include one in your resume, and even if they don’t, it’s an excellent opportunity to directly show them your proudest projects.
The business unit manager resume summary: tips and tricks
Making a strong first impression.
- Keep your summary section short and easy to read; avoid long sentences;
- Highlight your total years of experience in the field;
- Mention 1-2 of your biggest achievements and strengths;
- Add a couple of keywords from the job advert.
Resume summary formula:
Highlight specific past projects that you’re most proud of in your summary. It sets an excellent tone for the rest of your resume. You can talk about all of your former jobs in your work experience section later on.
Business unit manager resume: a strong education section
What to include in your education section:
- Your highest education degree (incl. major, duration, name of institution);
- A bit more about the certifications you’ve got (if they are relevant to what you’re applying for);
- Some extracurricular activities that have helped you develop and strengthen your skills;
- If you’re an entry-level applicant: Relevant courses and projects.
Top Certifications for Your Business Unit Manager Resume
The Business Intelligence Analyst Course 2022
The skills you need to become a BI Analyst - Statistics, Database theory, SQL, Tableau – Everything is included
Business Analysis Fundamentals
Set yourself up for success, learn the key business analysis concepts to thrive in your Business Analyst career
Microsoft Power BI Desktop for Business Intelligence
Master Power BI Desktop & learn advanced Power BI analysis & data visualization w/ a top Microsoft Power BI instructor
IT Business Analyst & Project Managers Technical awareness.
A quick introduction to software development & IT for business analyst and non technical managers overseeing IT teams.
The Project Management Course: Beginner to PROject Manager
The Complete Course for becoming a Successful Project Manager
There are dozens of certifications that you can claim as a Business Unit Manager. But, some are more effective than others. That’s why you mustn’t include every certificate other applicants might have. Try instead to earn and list a few of the difficult ones.
Business unit manager resume: how to choose the right format
The content of your resume is necessary for showcasing your expertise, skills, and education. Great formatting, on the other hand, is essential for highlighting your attention to detail, creativity, and ability to stand out.
There are three basic resume formats to choose from:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional skills-based resume format;
- Combination (or Hybrid) resume format.
Which one of these you choose depends on a couple of things, but most importantly: the industry and your level of experience.
The reverse-chronological resume format, for example, is great if you’re a Business Unit Manager with many years of experience and no career gaps. It doesn’t really matter if your company of choice is a multinational corporation or an early-stage startup – this resume format is considered to be a safe bet.
If you’re someone with little or no experience, however, we advise you to go for a functional skills-based resume format. It focuses on skills, competencies, and education, rather than experience. This makes it great for entry-level applicants, career changers, and graduate students.
And if you’re tired of traditional formats and want to go over the top when it comes to your application, the combination or hybrid resume format is here to help. Here, you can focus on both your experience and your skills, there’s even space for you to highlight your most spectacular personality traits. If you want to give a modern feel to your Business Unit Manager resume, this resume format is just what you need. Add a ‘my life philosophy’ section for additional bonus points!
Looking for ways to perfect your Business Unit Manager resume layout and style?
- Don’t risk it: choose standard 1-inch resume margins;
- Go for traditional resume fonts (sized 10-12p);
- Match the length of your Business Unit Manager resume with your years of experience – choose a one-page template if you’ve got less than 10 years of experience; otherwise, opt for a two-page resume;
- To be on the safe side, save your resume in PDF. This will help you avoid formatting issues and unauthorized editing.
Test your draft Business Unit Manager resume by sending it out to peers and mentors in your circles. Ask them to review it as if they are hiring you for a project and implement the feedback afterwards.
Your business unit manager resume: other sections to include
Tired of resumes that focus only on your professional side? Want to show you’re an actual human being with a real personality that goes beyond your work experience? Then add some other sections to your Business Unit Manager resume!
Depending on the industry, company, and position, you can go for a more creative or less creative approach. Choose 1-2 of the following:
Making your business unit manager resume shine
In a pile of boring black and white resumes, a creative Business Unit Manager application feels like a breath of fresh air. And trust us, recruiters love this.
There are two ways to add a splash of creativity to your resume. You can either go for a creative layout (bright colors, modern fonts, etc.) or add some creative sections (e.g. ‘what my typical day looks like’).
It’s up to you! Just make sure to keep the position, company, and industry in mind. Otherwise, you risk going over the top. And that’s not always a good idea.
What makes a great business unit manager resume: key takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.