According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, IT and Software Engineering positions are at a much faster than average growth rate, which is 22%. With that said, there are currently 1,847,900 jobs in the market right now. The total number of jobs is expected to increase by 409,500 to 2,257,400 in the period of 2020-30.
What’s more, the median annual wage for the IT and Software Engineering jobs was $110,140 in May 2020. The lowest 10% earned less than $65,210, and the highest 10% more than $170,100.
Our conclusion? The IT and Software Engineering job market is facing competition due to decreasing demand.
Top senior web developer sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
A senior web developer resume experience section to be proud of
Writing a strong experience section for your senior web developer resume:
- List your previous jobs in chronological or reverse-chronological format;
- Use no more than 4-6 bullets per position;
- Mention only relevant work experience;
- Describe the tasks you were responsible for and how you managed to exceed expectations;
- Show you’re able to take charge by choosing action verbs over buzzwords.
Looking for real-life examples of what a strong experience section looks like? Check out our suggestions below!
- 60% UI issues resolved of the SAAED Application in just 5 weeks’ time
- Reduced 70% of the development issues from the SAAED Application in 8 weeks’ time
- Deployed SAAED Application in Production with minimal resources i.e. with a team of only 3 developers
- Re-engineered IPS project and deployed in Abu Dhabi Traffic Police Patrol Smart Car in just 4 weeks
- Worked on 4 major UAE Government projects including SAAED System, Abu Dhabi National Ambulance System (ADNA), Intelligent Patrol System (IPS) & Emirates Vehicle Gate (EVG)
- Implemented Agile methodology with SCRUM framework
- Took the ownership for the Requirements Gathering, Change Management, Quality Assurance and Testing Process
- Successful deployment & training of SAAED system and installation of the related software in Panasonic Tough Books used by SAAED Police
- Re-engineered HMiS project with more functions in less than 8 weeks as per the new requirements of Dubai Health Authority, Dubai
- Implemented new design for the HMiS which is 30% more robust and efficient
- Produced Reports which helped the client to take critical decisions about the project on Reporting Server by using SQL Server Reporting Server (SSRS), Report Builder and Power BI
- Implemented efficient database design of HMiS which resulted in the reduced data querying time by 10%
- Conducted Training, Testing & UAT sessions with the clients
- Reduced web page loading time by 20% by minimizing the use of CSS files, JS files, images & SQL queries from Mobilink Telecom's web portal
- Reduced data querying time by 50% by using stored procedures and indexing tables in Warid Telecom's web portal
- Rectified errors in sales capturing module as per the requirements resulting in 30% accurate financial data for a trading company’s sales module
- Implemented Agile methodology with SCRUM framework
- Responsible for the UI Design & testing of the projects
- Prepared SRS & System Design Document for the projects
- Responsible for the Change Management, Test Cases and Test Reports
- Updated, modified and expanded existing software programs.
- Resolved customer issues by establishing workarounds and solutions and by debugging and creating defect.
- My personalized is like learning a new thing, make a new idea for product, Talent is life and love to be problem solver.
- Project development web content: ch7.com, Bugaboo.tv, mediastudio bbtvnewmedia.com etc.
- Project development web application: DRM, Mycensor, jobs.ch7, SingleID, system Rating thai supermodel.
- system Rating thai supermodel : Vote for the contest Developed on Expression Engine and use socked.io sync data.
- Mycensor : Pre-broadcasting advertising system developed PHP, Node.js With MongoDB and MySQL.
- DRM: The digital media encryption system technology provided by google head quarter to covers in several web browser and platforms such as iOS, android, PC, Smart TV and others devises.
- JOBS.ch7: System Recruitment developed on angular 7 use aurora serverless with on AWS service.
- SingleID : System Advertisement matching system developed on Laravel 5.8 with on MySQL.
- CRM Factory plans and builds IT systems enabling customer relationship management (CRM), enterprise resource planning (ERP), and business intelligence (BI) projects of all kinds, delivering a 360-degree integrated solution for various industries, with a strong focus on the automotive industry, from websites, portal solutions and e-commerce platforms, to wholesale solutions.
- My role here is for Building cross browser Web2.0/ AJAX based user interface with highly creative approach to Web design.
- Integration of web 2.0 technology where applicable and other multimedia such as podcasts, video, flash, media gallery etc.
- Working in close collaboration with the creative department (beside the technology team) and providing all groups with a clear, accurate, evolving User Interface Design/Prototype.
- Make iOS Builds with Cordova and xCode debug support
- To take part in brainstorming and come up with interesting ideas/ solutions.
- AxsMail: Creation of email client working with Exchange, POP3, IMAP and AxsReader email box, based on co-working functionality. Adding tags and notes systems. Email sharing, bookmarking and adding as favorites. Technologies used: NodeJS (REST API), MySQL, ExtJS 5.1.1 (MVC/MVVM), GIT, Jasmine (Unit Testing) & Istanbul (Code coverage).
- Alphaliner v4: Implementing the existing functionality from Alphaliner v2 with new features. Implementing of new modules. Technologies used: PHP (API), MySQL, ExtJS 4.2.1, 4.2.2 (MVC) and GIT.
- My main responsibility was the development of the "Mediabank" application which was responsible for presenting media collections to the public (images, audio, video) as a stand -alone application or as a Joomla component.
- I did mainly code on PHP with Phalcon & Zend Framework to deliver REST APIs for the stand-alone applications.
- Used PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, Apache Solr as storage engines.
- Learned AngularJS and KnockoutJS during the process on enriching the Mediabank front-end functionality.
- Used Gearman for a heavy time-consuming tasks like video conversion or image manipulation.
- Learned Jenkins automation deployment process, using Phing, Gulp.js and Grunt.
- Learned Docker & Docker compose used mainly to provide consistent development environment on different operation systems (Linux, MacOS, Windows).
- Created multiple Joomla components for the clients needs.
- We develop a great tool for our client to assess the impact of migrating a Salesforce classic org to lightning, reducing in almost 90% the effort.
- Build Altimetrik web application for Dreamforce event.
- Continuous development using cloud services and agile methodologies keeping the team updated.
- Meeting with clients to understand, define, and design new software requirements.
- Responsible for a 10-people team.
- Development and maintenance of customized web applications.
- Gathering of requirements, supervision, planning and control of development stages, project estimation, sales department support with new client quotes.
- Development of hybrid mobile applications.
- Using good practices in SEO, the number of visits and web position increase.
- Data migration.
- Integration with Cuban Boulevard and Azuba Handle GmbH an online payment system for products associated with tourism authorized to operate in Cuba.
- Flexibility of switching the technology based on the project’s requirements.
- Experience on jQuery, AJAX, XHTML, CSS, PHP, REST API development, AngularJS, SVN, GIT and several other tools and technologies.
- Integrating SAP, Sharepoint systems with PHP applications.
- Developed applications based on MVC architecture.
- Experience with PHP frameworks like Drupal, Codeigniter, Laravel.
- Ability to work on Python projects.
- Cooperate with Design team and Content Writers to implement the required changes to all company websites and web services.
- Develop and test new features
- Create and design the automation tools for the back office departments
- Mentoring and supervising junior developers
- Interviewing the candidates to IT Department
- Development of the backend using Laravel, MySQL and frontend using Vue.js
- Development of the web services
- Managing developers and code review
- Planning and estimating
- Development of the backend using Laravel, CodeIgniter, MySQL
- Development of video streaming using Amazon services
- Development of the web services
- Managing developers and code review
- Planning and estimating
- Development of the backend using Laravel, MySQL
- Development of the frontend using Angular.js
- Developing 3D view module
- Planning and estimating
- Design, code and modify the requirements from layout to function and according to client’s specifications.
- Responsible for independently designing ,coding , testing and database management.
- Develop, test, implement and maintain applications.
- Developing existing programs by analyzing and identifying areas for modifications.
- Creative and Beautiful Front end design and development
- Back end API development
- Database design
- Server hosting
- Server management
- Front end & Back end development
- Developed simple web app for 3 weeks
- Led small team in web development on over 80 web sites
- Managed team of 4 developers
- Worked with a team of 8 people; full-stack developers and web designers
- Managed web project for 10 clients including website and apps
- Implemented performance tuning techniques on stored procedures and back-end queries which resulted in 46% improvement in application performance
- Created more than 10+ SPA
- Worked here for 3 years to build lot of static and dynamic web sites/apps
- 70% of increment in skills like computer maintenance, web application development, web design and increased my programming skills
The person reading your Senior Web Developer resume will be busy, make sure you never waste their time with fluff.
Action verbs for your senior web developer resume
Taking Control of Your Senior Web Developer Resume’s Skills Section
A skills section that shows what you’re capable of includes:
- Keywords from the job advert to help you pass ATS;
- Both hard and soft skills, incl. technical skills and people skills;
- Skills that are relevant to the position you’re applying for;
- No more than 15 skills – to keep your resume readable.
Top skills for your senior web developer resume
Teamwork and communication
Creative problem solving
Owning up to errors
Add a Talent Section to your resume, where you can pick your top 3 soft skills and describe how you used them to complete a project or balance departmental communication.
Senior web developer resume header: Tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist for your senior web developer resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Some companies, states, and countries have policies about identifying information like photos on your Senior Web Developer resume. Be sure to check all the relevant rules before submitting yours. If you’re in doubt, you can always try contacting the company’s HR department to ask for their policy.
A senior web developer resume summary that spotlights your achievements
Checklist: A strong senior web developer resume summary:
- Use adjectives that highlight the character traits you’re most proud of;
- Mention 1-2 of your biggest achievements;
- Add keywords from the job advert to increase your chances of passing ATS;
- Keep the recruiter’s attention by going for short sentences.
Resume summary formula:
Include a link to your portfolio in your resume header. Most companies will require that you include one in your resume, and even if they don’t, it’s an excellent opportunity to directly show them your proudest projects.
Creating an impressive education section for your senior web developer resume
The education section: checklist
- List your degrees in reverse-chronological order;
- Include your degree subject, place of study, name of institution, and year of graduation;
- Add a line or two about your relevant certifications;
- Mention some classes and projects that have helped you gain additional skills.
Top certifications for your senior web developer resume
The Complete Junior to Senior Web Developer Roadmap (2022)
Go from Junior Developer to Senior Developer. Learn all the technical skills Senior Web Developers know!
The Complete Web Developer in 2022: Zero to Mastery
The Web Developer Bootcamp 2022
COMPLETELY REDONE - The only course you need to learn web development - HTML, CSS, JS, Node, and More!
Modern Web Development || Zero To Front End
Ultimate Web Designer & Web Developer Course
Become a Full-Stack Web Designer in 2022 - Learn Everything from Web Design Fundamentals to Front-End Web Development
If you hold a certain major and a minor, your majors should be mentioned first.
A professional format for your senior web developer resume
There are some aspects worth taking into consideration when choosing the format of your Senior Web Developer resume. These include the position and company you’re applying for, your total years of experience, whether you’ve been through some employment gaps, and so on.
Generally speaking, there are three basic resume formats for you to choose from:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional skills-based resume format;
- Combination (or Hybrid) resume format.
The reverse-chronological resume format is just that: all your jobs listed in a reverse-chronological way, starting from the most recent and moving backward. It’s great for highly experienced professionals with over 10 years in the industry behind their backs. The reason for this: it’s almost entirely focused on experience and achievements.
The functional skills-based resume format, on the other hand, is just the opposite. It’s based on your skills, personality, and expertise. It highlights what you’re capable of even when you don’t have sufficient work experience. This makes it great for students, recent graduates, or people with larger career gaps.
If neither of these sounds like you, go for the combination resume format. It’s a combination of the best characteristics of other formats, which makes it great for showcasing different aspects of your career and education. It also gives you plenty of options to choose from – in terms of colors, structure, and sections.
Check out our additional tips on perfecting your Senior Web Developer resume’s style and layout:
- Choose traditional 1-inch resume margins;
- Go for a serif or sans serif resume font that’s easy to read yet looks professional (e.g. Arial, Verdana, or Calibri);
- Keep your Senior Web Developer resume short: one-page template are preferable, but if you have over 10 years of experience, you can also go for a two-page format;
- Save your resume as PDF and choose a suitable name, e.g. NameSurnameResume;
Tired of looking for ways to make your resume stand out? Read this article!
Sometimes you’ll want to go after a job which requires more experience than you have. Instead of using a typical Senior Web Developer resume layout, you can use a creative layout. Getting noticed is the most important challenge and a creative resume layout might help you get invited for an interview as most of other accountants have boring resume designs.
Additional sections for your senior web developer resume
After drafting the required sections of your Senior Web Developer resume, it’s now time to move to something a bit more fun. There are a number of sections you can add to your resume depending on the company, the position, and how you’re feeling in general:
Adding the right kind of creativity to your senior web developer resume
It is through creativity that we express ourselves. And trust us, it’s important to show at least a bit of your personality if you want to leave a strong first impression.
But what are the ways to add creativity to your Senior Web Developer resume? Well, you can either go for a colorful and engaging template, or you could add some out-of-the-box sections, such as ‘life philosophy’ or ‘what my typical day looks like’.
It’s up to you! Just make sure that the level of creativity matches the position, the company, and the industry you’re applying for.
What makes a great senior web developer resume: key takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.