According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, IT and Software Engineering positions are at a much faster than average growth rate, which is 22%. With that said, there are currently 1,847,900 jobs in the market right now. The total number of jobs is expected to increase by 409,500 to 2,257,400 in the period of 2020-30.
What’s more, the median annual wage for the IT and Software Engineering jobs was $110,140 in May 2020. The lowest 10% earned less than $65,210, and the highest 10% more than $170,100.
Our conclusion? The IT and Software Engineering job market is facing competition due to decreasing demand.
Top software specialist sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
What to include in your software specialist resume experience section
Software specialist resume experience section checklist:
- Use at least 3 and no more than 7 bullet points per position;
- Make your experience sound relevant to what you’re applying for;
- Combine responsibilities, results, and critical situations that you’ve handled well;
- Show that you’re willing to take up on challenges;
- Include numbers in any form you like.
Looking for some real experience section examples? We’ve gathered the best Software Specialist resume samples to help you. Check them out before building your own resume!
- Designing new microservices for UYAP with Spring Boot framework and PostgreSQL,Oracle,graph database, etc.
- Developing, publishing scalable and flexible services in cloud environment with CI/CD process
- Coding real time applications with Kafka, Redis, RabbitMQ and ELK stack
- Researching and developing new framework features
- Consulting for Spring Boot and new architecture
- Leading campaign management system transformation program
- Designing and developing Next Best Action program
- Guiding how to integrate systems via various tools
- Coding applications in .NET, Java,Spring,Spring Boot, Oracle & shell scripts
- Designing and working on Complex Event Processing applications
- Optimising Web Services & tuning SQL queries performance
- Researching and implementing on NoSQL, Big Data & ELK
- Led, designed and developed Stock Exchange projects
- Mainly used .Net, Java, Spring Java EE and Oracle for development
- Integrated domains and external systems by XML Web/REST Services
- Optimised and tuned Web Services, SQL queries and database objects
- Coded infrastructure program to apply governance for the whole team
- Technical Design, developing and maintanance software applications
- Planning, analysis and documentation all software projects
- Resposible forDevelopment and Operational progresses on AS Core Claim application, For examples CRs&Defects development, Batch applications for data integrations, Reports, Envirement Changes(Upgrades), Deployment lifecycles, Architectural Changes and Optimizations, designing User Load&Unit&Stress Tests, Web service entegrations etc.
- Skills - Asp.Net, OOP, PLSQL, OracleDB, Web Services(WCF)
- JQuery , Bootstrap, SOA,HpUFT, HP Fortify, HP Load Runner, SVN, ALM, Secure Dev. ,Front-End / Back-End DEV, CR Development, Code & Perf. Optimizations , SCRUM
- Information flow control, verification and troubleshooting (SAP, BOS and POS)
- Creation of user manuals for SAP, BOS and WMS
- SAP and BOS inventory support of key accounts. End-users remote support
- Conducting of SAP training to end-users
- Database errors detection and correction via SQL
- Testing of new functionality in BOS and POS systems
- Running and testing future processes in SAP and BOS
- Installation / Deinstallation and Configuration POS cashier (checkout) and servers
- Experience with SharePoint, Spaceman, VPM, JIRA B2B Business in Business project development
- Project Manager for the Ikarus at the ground handling company
- JSF : JavaServer Faces Project Back-end and Front-end developer
- Hibernate : Framework for ORM
- App Server : Wildfly 10.1.0 for Red Hat
- DB : PL/SQL for Oracle
- Developed and maintained automated CI/CD pipelines for code deployment using Jenkins
- Source Code Management : Maintained GITLAB workflows for version control
- Q Technologies : In the middleware, data transfer was performed using the Servicemix Q structure.
- Knowledge of Linux and scripting languages
- Microsoft Azure Platform
- Working with SQLYog/ SSMS/ CHEF / SQLEdit Utility for database to handle critical client-side issues along with all sort of Database Backup/Restoration/Clustering etc.
- Working on Database maintenance, applying patches periodically over windows/linux and upgrading tomcat/database with latest versions.
- Complete conversion of MySQL to MSSQL database and viceversa as per requirements through SSMA and other tools.
- Installation of Enterprise Servers on big scale for Private/Enterprise/Community Hospitals.
- Complete integration of Tomcat Apache (Application Server), Database (MySQL + SQL Server) and FTP (Serv-U, FileZilla etc.) along with IBM Cognos (Cognos8, Cognos10)
- Working closely with Project Managers for KOC, defining Server Architecture, DBFC and other details for successful data/server migration with minimum downtime.
- Mentoring the Team with any issues and providing training on new Modules to New Trainees.
- Handling the Processes and Key points implementation for smooth delivery of workflow and performing QC Checks in the Team to mitigate any possible escalations or failure.
- Working on deployment of eClinicalWorks product as per Customer Requirement on Windows Server(2008R2, 2012, 2016, 2019) & Linux (Ubuntu, Redhat etc.) Based on SAAS, Locally Hosted and Client-server architecture where server is built from open-source package, Tomcat integration with DB, Ftp, other modules.
- Database tuning, tomcat hardening, support, troubleshoot in real time around the clock.
- Analog/Digital Gateway Faxing - UFG Solutions & Device Installation (welchallyn, HeartCentrix etc)● Installing, Configuring & Troubleshooting EMR Software..● Managing client escalations to handle all the troubleshooting, installation and upgrades of EMR software.● Working with developers/BA/PM for installing EMR addons like Televisit, Messenger, eClinicalMobile, P2P, Portal, Surescript etc.● Currently working on cloud (AWS) integration of databases and moving servers from client to Cloud (SAAS/PAAS)
Include quantitative data throughout your Software Specialist resume to impress the hiring manager. Real facts and figures that show off your competency as an audit manager go a long way. Did you reduce the costs of audits? Manage a large team? Boosted efficiency? Show off the real numbers!
Action verbs for your software specialist resume
Top software specialist skills for your resume
Software specialist resume skills section checklist:
- Match your hard skills to the job description;
- Add keywords to pass applicant tracking systems;
- Don’t list soft skills such as ’teamwork’ – rather, mention how they’ve helped you gain success in some other sections of your Software Specialist resume;
- List only skills you actually have, keep lying out of the picture.
Top skills for your software specialist resume
Teamwork and communication
Creative problem solving
Owning up to errors
When picking skills to feature in your resume, make sure they'll be relevant to the position you’re applying to. The point of listing skills is for you to stand out from the competition. Stay away from repetitive, meaningless skills that everyone uses in their resumes. Or else, they’ll backfire and make you look like an average candidate.
Software specialist resume header: tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist for your software specialist resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Some companies, states, and countries have policies about identifying information like photos on your Software Specialist resume. Be sure to check all the relevant rules before submitting yours. If you’re in doubt, you can always try contacting the company’s HR department to ask for their policy.
Craft a strong software specialist resume summary
Software Specialist Resume Summary Checklist:
- Your total years of experience
- The industry you’re coming from
- One or two most remarkable accomplishments that have helped you - turn into a great professional
- Short sentences that add value – avoid filler words and phrases
Resume summary formula:
When writing a resume summary or objective, avoid first-person narrative.
Highlight your education, certifications, and courses
What to include in your education and courses sections:
- Your highest education degree – this includes institution, course, and duration
- Certifications and courses that have helped you gain additional expertise
- Awards you’ve received as part of your education
- Entry-level positions only: relevant classes and projects
Top Certifications for your Software Specialist resume
Java Multithreading, Concurrency & Performance Optimization
Become an expert in Multithreading, Concurrency & Parallel programming in Java, with strong emphasis on high performance
Advanced Java Topics: Java Reflection - Master Class
Create Powerful Java Applications, Algorithms and Libraries using Java Reflection API, Take Full Advantage of the JVM
Distributed Systems & Cloud Computing with Java
Learn Distributed Java Applications at Scale, Parallel Programming, Distributed Computing & Cloud Software Architecture
Java Multithreading & Concurrency - Interview Practice Exams
Prepare for your Java Software Engineering Job Interview with 100+ questions. Practice Java Concurrency & Multithreading
Software Architecture & Design of Modern Large Scale Systems
Master Software Architecture, System Design & Big Data Processing. Become a Software Architect or Technical Lead
There are dozens of certifications that you can claim as a Software Specialist. But, some are more effective than others. That’s why you mustn’t include every certificate other applicants might have. Try instead to earn and list a few of the difficult ones.
Drafting a Job-winning Software Specialist Resume
When drafting your resume, you can choose between three well-known formats:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional skills-based resume format;
- Combination (or Hybrid) resume format.
Which format you decide to go for depends on two things: your personal preference and how experienced you are.
The reverse-chronological format is ideal for both really experienced people and those who joined the workforce just a couple of years ago. It’s also great if your experience combines different industries and jobs. Here, your most recent position comes at the top of your resume.
The functional skills-based resume format, on the other hand, is ideal for recent graduates or people who have no work experience whatsoever. It’s built around your skills, interests, and expertise. Ultimately, its goal is to show recruiters your biggest strengths and practical skills.
Combination resumes (also known as hybrid resumes) are great for all types of candidates – be they graduates, experienced professionals, or brave career changers. They usually follow a double-column format – one side focuses on your experience, while the other emphasizes your education, skills, interests, and accomplishments.
Here’s our resume format and style checklist:
- Choose a traditional resume font sized 12p;
- Go for standard 1-inch resume margins;
- Match the length of your Software Specialist resume with your experience – choose a one-page template if you have less than 10 years of experience, and be careful with two-page templates;
- Send your resume in PDF – in this way, you’ll avoid formatting issues and potential editing from third parties.
And in case you want to go the extra mile, check out our guide for crafting a resume that stands out.
Test your draft Software Specialist resume by sending it out to peers and mentors in your circles. Ask them to review it as if they are hiring you for a project and implement the feedback afterwards.
Other sections worth including in your software specialist resume
Including other sections in your resume depends on the company, the position, and, ultimately, the industry. Here are some sections that will help you spice things up:
A software specialist resume that stands out
Recruiters look at tens of resumes every day. That’s why helping them remember yours is crucial for landing an interview.
A creative resume can help you show off both your personality and your expertise at the same time.
Creative sections about passions, favorite books, quotes, and even your daily routine are a great way to make your resume feel like a breath of fresh air.
What’s more, it will also point recruiters to the fact that you’re attentive to detail and can think outside the box of Word-generated black and white resumes.
What makes a great software specialist resume: key takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.