According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, IT and Software Engineering positions are at a much faster than average growth rate, which is 22%. With that said, there are currently 1,847,900 jobs in the market right now. The total number of jobs is expected to increase by 409,500 to 2,257,400 in the period of 2020-30.
What’s more, the median annual wage for the IT and Software Engineering jobs was $110,140 in May 2020. The lowest 10% earned less than $65,210, and the highest 10% more than $170,100.
Our conclusion? The IT and Software Engineering job market is facing competition due to decreasing demand.
Top Java software engineer sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
What to include in your Java software engineer resume experience section
Java software engineer resume experience section checklist:
- Use at least 3 and no more than 7 bullet points per position;
- Make your experience sound relevant to what you’re applying for;
- Combine responsibilities, results, and critical situations that you’ve handled well;
- Show that you’re willing to take up on challenges;
- Include numbers in any form you like.
Looking for some real experience section examples? We’ve gathered the best Java Software Engineer resume samples to help you. Check them out before building your own resume!
- Currently working on TaiChi project which is multi-module Service Orchestration Web project. Each module of the project is scalable and dockerized. The main technologies used in this project are Java, Spring, Spring Boot, Spring Data, Spring Cloud Eureka, Apache Camel, AngularJS, NodeJS, Grunt, yarn, MongoDB, MySQL, Tomcat, Maven, Docker, Rancher, Jenkins and Sonarqube.
- Worked as Module Design Engineer in AR Module(CBS Project) along with developer tasks. Providing design solutions cooperating with System Engineers for AR and related modules in CBS, guiding AR module developers in technical manner, performing source code review and design docuBS were main responsibilities of Module Design Engineer role.
- Worked as Java Developer in AR Module(CBS Project) for SkyMobile(Kyrgyzstan), UzMobile(Uzbekistan) and Bakcell(Azerbaijan). Handed over AR Module source code from Huawei HQ. Performed software analyis and development for AR module for different customers. Supported design team for the requirements' analysis and test team for testing process. Participated in site installation support activities with site engineers. Development environment was consist of Java, Spring, Hibernate, SOAP Web Services, JSP, XML, Tomcat, Maven, Ant, Oracle DB, PL/SQL, Jasper Reports technologies.
- Worked as Java Developer in CBS PMS Module for Namibia Telecom and Cameroon Telecom. Performed code development/testing and provided product configurations based on Oracle SQL scripts for customers requirements.
- Worked as Asst. Java Software Engineer in CRM project Participated in development of functional and non-functional requirements from customer. Participated in site installation support for failures or bug fixing tasks for raised issues after installations. Java 1.6, J2EE, JSF, Struts, MyBatis, Spring, JSP, Ajax and jQuery languages/frameworks were used for this project.
- Worked as Asst. Java Software Engineer in RSM(Revenue Sharing Management) project. Participated in development of first 2 phases of the project for Bakcell customer.
- Java 1.6, J2EE, JSF, Struts, Hibernate, Spring, JSP, Ajax and jQuery languages/frameworks were used for this project.
- Java, Spring, PL/SQL stored procedures, RESTful,Servlet
- Apigee, Scrum, JS
- Java, Spring, PL/SQL stored procedures, RESTful,Servlet
- BPM of IBM
- Apigee, Scrum, JS
- Self-delivery food terminal. Build Spring Boot App using: Java 8,Hibernate, Modbus, Canbus, Python and deploy on Samsung QPS
- Crypto pay terminal. Build Android App using: ORM Room, Retrofit 2,Dagger
- Reason for leaving : out of spring projects
- Analyze, design, and implementing core banking financial services like loan, bank-guarantee, and collateral systems using java8, spring boot, spring data, spring-security, oauth2, jpa, ibatis, jms, jndi, ibm websphere, rest, angular, oralce, nosql, mysql, junit, mockito, scrum, svn, and git.
- Analyze and detect customer requirements during business meetings.
- Leadership and team management as a technical manager and business expert and defining, scheduling and assigning tasks to team members as a scrum master.
- Improved stability and performance of the systems by fixing core bugs
- Refactored/adjusted components according to best practices
- Ensured quality with unit and integration tests
- Developed core functionalities to be scalable and extensible
- Used the JSF flexibility to make the UI/UX easy to interact with and intuitive
- Ensured that project requirements are met
- Successfully delivered 3 projects on time and within budget
- Dependency injection frameworks - Spring, Spring boot.
- Web services - REST, SOAP.
- Messaging - Redis, JMS, and relational databases.
- Experience with feature, testing, staging, and production environments.
- Docker and automation tools;
- Improve the system's performance by performing analysis of the server logs and using Linux-specific tools such as top and sar.
- Investigate the Java side of the system for possible bottlenecks by analyzing the Thread Dump and Heap Dump.
- Write unit and integration tests to ensure the quality and security of the product.
- Implement additional functionality following the XMPP specification
- Successfully delivered 110+ user stories for enterprise development
- Added 4 massive features
- Increased seo optimization from 8 to 70 pts
- Reduced infrastructure costs and speed up pipeline by optimize junit tests
- Primary interviewer in hiring process
- Developed a REST API using Servlets, JDBC, PostgreSQL/MySQL
- Accomplished many applied tasks
- Developed a REST API project with Spring Boot, Spring Data + PostgreSQL
- Mission 2 at Pages Jaunes
- Create a workflow solution for the publishing and financial service.
- Technologies used: Java EE, Shell script, XSD / XML, web services (REST-SOAP), JUnit, soapUI, Swing, SVN, Maven, OpenPrint.
- Create the project from scratch
- Mission 1 at AFP
- Re-implement the whole back-end of AFP's editorial service.
- Technologies used : Java, Shell script, Maven, XML, REST web services, SQL PLUS, Jenkins, Sonar, Hibernate, Tomcat, Apache, JUnit, SCRUM method
- 7 developers, 5 testers and 3 project managers
Include quantitative data throughout your Java Software Engineer resume to impress the hiring manager. Real facts and figures that show off your competency as an audit manager go a long way. Did you reduce the costs of audits? Manage a large team? Boosted efficiency? Show off the real numbers!
Action verbs for your Java software engineer resume
Top Java software engineer skills for your resume
Java software engineer resume skills section checklist:
- Match your hard skills to the job description;
- Add keywords to pass applicant tracking systems;
- Don’t list soft skills such as ’teamwork’ – rather, mention how they’ve helped you gain success in some other sections of your Java Software Engineer resume;
- List only skills you actually have, keep lying out of the picture.
Top skills for your Java software engineer resume
Teamwork and communication
Creative problem solving
Owning up to errors
When picking skills to feature in your resume, make sure they'll be relevant to the position you’re applying to. The point of listing skills is for you to stand out from the competition. Stay away from repetitive, meaningless skills that everyone uses in their resumes. Or else, they’ll backfire and make you look like an average candidate.
Java software engineer resume header: tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist for your Java software engineer resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Include a link to your portfolio in your Java Software Engineer resume header. Most companies will require that you include one in your resume, and even if they don’t, it’s an excellent opportunity to directly show them your proudest projects.
Craft a strong Java software engineer resume summary
Java software engineer resume summary checklist:
- Your total years of experience
- The industry you’re coming from
- One or two most remarkable accomplishments that have helped you - turn into a great professional
- Short sentences that add value – avoid filler words and phrases
Resume summary formula:
Your summary section should act as a brief but informative introduction to your experience section. In this section you should go into more depth about what you have done, and how you did it.
Highlight your education, certifications, and courses
What to include in your education and courses sections:
- Your highest education degree – this includes institution, course, and duration
- Certifications and courses that have helped you gain additional expertise
- Awards you’ve received as part of your education
- Entry-level positions only: relevant classes and projects
Top certifications for your Java software engineer resume
Java from Zero to First Job - Practical Guide, 800+ examples
Learn Java from scratch and become Java Software Engineer: Basics, OOP, Interview questions, Git, Java Collections etc
Advanced Java Topics: Java Reflection - Master Class
Create Powerful Java Applications, Algorithms and Libraries using Java Reflection API, Take Full Advantage of the JVM
Java Programming Masterclass covering Java 11 & Java 17
Learn Java In This Course And Become a Computer Programmer. Obtain valuable Core Java Skills And Java Certification
Java In-Depth: Become a Complete Java Engineer!
Comprehensive Java programming course integrated with design principles, best practices & instructor-led Java EE project
Project Development Using JAVA for Beginners - 2022
Learn Java from scratch and become Software Engineer.
If you hold a certain major and a minor, your majors should be mentioned first.
Drafting a Job-winning Java Software Engineer Resume
When drafting your resume, you can choose between three well-known formats:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional skills-based resume format;
- Combination (or Hybrid) resume format.
Which format you decide to go for depends on two things: your personal preference and how experienced you are.
The reverse-chronological format is ideal for both really experienced people and those who joined the workforce just a couple of years ago. It’s also great if your experience combines different industries and jobs. Here, your most recent position comes at the top of your resume.
The functional skills-based resume format, on the other hand, is ideal for recent graduates or people who have no work experience whatsoever. It’s built around your skills, interests, and expertise. Ultimately, its goal is to show recruiters your biggest strengths and practical skills.
Combination resumes (also known as hybrid resumes) are great for all types of candidates – be they graduates, experienced professionals, or brave career changers. They usually follow a double-column format – one side focuses on your experience, while the other emphasizes your education, skills, interests, and accomplishments.
Here’s our resume format and style checklist:
- Choose a traditional resume font sized 12p;
- Go for standard 1-inch resume margins;
- Match the length of your Java Software Engineer resume with your experience – choose a one-page template if you have less than 10 years of experience, and be careful with two-page templates;
- Send your resume in PDF – in this way, you’ll avoid formatting issues and potential editing from third parties.
And in case you want to go the extra mile, check out our guide for crafting a resume that stands out.
Test your draft Java Software Engineer resume by sending it out to peers and mentors in your circles. Ask them to review it as if they are hiring you for a project and implement the feedback afterwards.
Other sections worth including in your Java software engineer resume
Including other sections in your resume depends on the company, the position, and, ultimately, the industry. Here are some sections that will help you spice things up:
A Java software engineer resume that stands out
Recruiters look at tens of resumes every day. That’s why helping them remember yours is crucial for landing an interview.
A creative resume can help you show off both your personality and your expertise at the same time.
Creative sections about passions, favorite books, quotes, and even your daily routine are a great way to make your resume feel like a breath of fresh air.
What’s more, it will also point recruiters to the fact that you’re attentive to detail and can think outside the box of Word-generated black and white resumes.
What makes a great Java software engineer resume: key takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.