According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, IT and Software Engineering positions are at a much faster than average growth rate, which is 22%. With that said, there are currently 1,847,900 jobs in the market right now. The total number of jobs is expected to increase by 409,500 to 2,257,400 in the period of 2020-30.
What’s more, the median annual wage for the IT and Software Engineering jobs was $110,140 in May 2020. The lowest 10% earned less than $65,210, and the highest 10% more than $170,100.
Our conclusion? The IT and Software Engineering job market is facing competition due to decreasing demand.
Top software developer sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
Writing a strong software developer experience section
Software developer resume experience section: ultimate checklist
- Use no more than 4-6 bullet points per position;
- List relevant positions and situations that add value to your application;
- Describe situations, tasks, actions, and results (the S-T-A-R method);
- Remember to include numbers in whatever form you like (e.g. the number of projects you’ve finished);
- Begin each bullet point with an action verb.
Check out the examples below when building your experience section. They will help you stand out!
- System requirements specifications and test plan documentation.
- Testing and Troubleshooting.
- Performing code reviews.
- Providing technical support.
- Developing automated functional, regression, performance testing scripts for Cisco Networking Academy using Apache JMeter, HP LoadRunner and HP WinRunner.
- Designing Performance testing Scenarios and running load tests to analyze the outcomes and identify performance bottlenecks.
- Technical Documentation.
- Designed a web application using python flask web framework that allows users to post relevant information.
- Database design, development with flask SQLAlchemy and sqlite.
- Deploy the web application to a linux web server with Nginx and Gunicorn.
- Design the front end of the web application using HTML, CSS and Bootstrap 4.
- Perform unit testing using python unittest module.
- Develops software solutions by studying information needs conferring with user , studying system flow , data usage and work processes
- Investigating problem areas, following the software development life cycle
- Supports and develops software engineers by providing advice, coaching and educational opportunities
- Protects Operations by keeping information confidential
- Responsible for peer reviewing of code checking into repository
- Analyses the use case and gathering the requirement
- Developing the application
- Unit test
- Backend developer of core models with Go, java and Neo4J.
- Lead and build the entire BI infrastructure from End to End using Java and Airflow.
- Create Big Data processes over Google Cloud Dataflow and Big Query.
- Coaching outsource firm members on technical best practises
- Leading, designing and reviewing CRM projects
- Developing projects using JAVA, Oracle, Core Banking Framework
- Improving the performance of SQL
- Worked on PowerDesigner
- Learned database design standards
- Developed branch screens using JAVA, ORACLE and Core Banking Framework
- Converted PL/SQL packages to JAVA web services
- Learned well performed application development
- Learned integration with external system
- Developed Java web service used Core Banking Framework
- Developing the back-end of IoT platform using Java, Node.js, Spring, AWS, PostgreSQL, Hibernate, REST, Terraform, Docker.
- Developing and maintaining the front end functionality of website using Angular.
- Checking in and tracking software with use of Git.
- Agile software development with Scrum.
- Participating in discussions with clients to clarify what they want.
- Maintained and developed backend of music and video streaming app called Fizy using Java, Python, Spring, Oracle, Hibernate.
- Developed microservices using AWS.
- Agile software development with Scrum.
- Designed and developed internal staff training platform that reduced the onboarding time for newly hired engineers from 2 months to 2 weeks
- Led a team of 6 engineers to develop a first of a kind proprietary deployment system for customer-led applications in augmented reality sector
- Redesigned legacy testing and pre-production systems to increase the concept to publish lifecycle for all customer-facing apps by 20 to 40%
- Redesigned an intranet business application to work custom business forms, which reduced the total amount of business service tickets by 40%
- Upgraded legacy QA test environment that allowed the company to include unit testing as part of one-week Scrum sprints
- Integrated sales reports and CRM system with DataOps solution, presenting all C-level executives across 25 branches with real-time dashboards on sales KPI
- Created, delivered and maintained scalable system architecture to support high-availability Internet site with various internal applications
- Trusted by CTO to lead team of 3 to build and beautify a responsive front-end interface using Angular framework
- Planned and engineered RESTful web services to manipulate dynamic datasets using AWS API Gateway + Lambda and Serverless framework
- Utilized MySQL and Amazon RDS for processing data requests, optimizing database schemas and data migration
- Implementation of referral program and admin portal increased user registration rate by 22% and reduced cost for user KYC and transaction verifications by 53% respectively
- Fixed crucial bugs that caused company wide system downtime
- Mentored new developers by helping with onboarding and explaining different parts of the system
- Improved match results of a bot capable of image comparisons, using Microsoft Cognitive Services, by 40%
- Worked in Scrum Agile-driven environment to effectively maintain project timelines and utilize available resources
- Evaluated project requirements and specifications to develop software applications that surpassed client expectations
- Designed and updated layouts to meet usability and performance requirements for web, mobile, AEM and DMS applications
- Participated in more than 4 projects per year from initial research and conceptual design through testing and implementation phases
- Carefully documented technical workflows and knowledge in private wiki for education of newly hired employees
- Front-End Developer ( React.js ) at Vobi.io
- Full-Stack Developer ( React.js & Node.js & MongoDB ) at Billing Solutions LLC / invoice.ge
- Inspected equipment, assessed functionality and optimized controls.
- Gathered and defined customer requirements to develop clearspecifications for creating well-organized project plans.
- Reviewed code, debugged problems and corrected issues.
- Worked on business financial projects using React, Node.js.
- Prepared test plans and test cases based on unit tests, end-to-endtests.
- Contributed ideas and suggestions in team meetings and deliveredupdates on deadlines, designs and enhancements.
- Built, tested and deployed scalable, highly available and modularsoftware products.
- Collaborated with developers and performance engineers to enhancesupportability and identify performance bottlenecks.
- Created databases and table structures according to Mongo DBarchitecture methodology for web applications.
- Was responsible for database, API design and development on the
back-end for many features
- Taken responsibilities as Full Stack Developer and Developed a few
features from scratch (both backend & frontend )
- Added indexes to database tables and improved query performance
- Followed Agile development and consistently delivered new features on time during sprints and Communicated updates in daily scrum meetings using JIRA software
- I am currently working as a software engineer in a company based project. I am doing Hygiene Control project in this company using Asp.Net MVC and MSSQL technologies. It could also be used as an extensible project for audit purposes in the retail sector. Auditing will be carried out by auditors.
- I developed an application with Asp.Net MVC for Yorim Glasses Company(Quality Control Management)
- We solved the problem of Gürmen holding between e-commerce and ERP integration with Jitterbit Studio.
Include quantitative data throughout your Software Developer resume to impress the hiring manager. Real facts and figures that show off your competency as an audit manager go a long way. Did you reduce the costs of audits? Manage a large team? Boosted efficiency? Show off the real numbers!
Action verbs for your software developer resume
Writing a strong skills section for your software developer resume
Checklist for your software developer skills section:
- Include all relevant skills from the job description to pass ATS;
- Focus on skills that show your expertise;
- List your technical skills in a clear and concise manner;
- Leave room for transferable skills related to teamwork, communication, negotiation, and conflict management.
Top skills for your software developer resume
Teamwork and communication
Creative problem solving
Owning up to errors
When describing your experience, don’t go too far from its terminology. Recruiters use ATS systems to filter resumes based on them having certain keywords, so make sure you use at least a few keywords mentioned in the job description.
Software developer resume header: Tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist for your software developer resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Include a link to your portfolio in your Software Developer resume header. Most companies will require that you include one in your resume, and even if they don’t, it’s an excellent opportunity to directly show them your proudest projects.
The ideal summary for your software developer resume
Mastering the Summary Section: Checklist
- Mention the total years of experience you have in the field;
- Focus on 2 to 3 of your top achievements;
- Highlight the things that make you the best fit for the position;
- Go for short, easy-to-read sentences to keep the recruiter’s attention.
Resume summary formula:
Highlight specific past projects that you’re most proud of in your summary. It sets an excellent tone for the rest of your resume. You can talk about all of your former jobs in your work experience section later on.
Things to include in your software developer resume education section
Software developer resume education section checklist:
- Mention your highest education degree;
- Add the duration of your course and the institution you attended;
- List the awards you’ve received during your studies;
- Feature your certifications if they are relevant to the position;
- Entry-level positions: Share more about projects and classes.
Top certifications for your software developer resume
Become a Junior Java Software Developer
Complete practical and conceptual Java programming course for beginners
Learn Java Programming Crash Course
This Java For Beginners Course Includes Java Basics And Core Java Skills Training To Make You A Software Developer Fast
Java Essentials - Refresher for software developers
Get a complete conceptual overview of essential Java knowledge
How to Become a Software Developer From Scratch
Prepare yourself to excel as a professional developer of enterprise web applications!
200+ Questions - Job Interview - Software Developer - Git
Get ready for an interview for Software Developer with Git!
If you hold a certain major and a minor, your majors should be mentioned first.
Formatting your software developer resume
What’s worse than a .docx resume? A resume with a poorly chosen format.
In general, there are three basic resume formats we advise you to stick with:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional skills-based resume format;
- Combination (or Hybrid) resume format.
Choosing between them is easy when you’re aware of your applicant profile – it depends on your years of experience, the position you’re applying for, and whether you’re looking for an industry change or not.
The reverse-chronological resume format is just that – all your relevant jobs in reverse-chronological order. It’s great for applicants with lots of experience, no career gaps, and little desire for creativity.
When working with less experienced applicants, we suggest the functional skills-based resume format. It’s great for recent graduates or people with large career gaps. Functional skills-based resumes focus on your personality, the skills you have, your interests, and your education. Ultimately, the idea is to show you’re the perfect fit without putting too much emphasis on your work experience (or lack thereof).
If you’re in the middle or are generally looking to make your resume feel more modern and personal, go for the combination or hybrid resume format. It offers the best of both worlds by combining sections focused on experience and work-related skills and at the same time keeping space for projects, awards, certifications, or even creative sections like ‘my typical day’ and ‘my words to live by’.
Software Developer Resume Formatting Checklist
- Choose the resume format based on your level of experience and the company you’re applying for
- Go for a traditional 10-12p font
- Stick to 1-inch page margins to ensure high readability
- Match the length of your resume to your experience, but don’t go for more than two pages!
To take it a step further, check out how your resume can stand out without leaning too much on the creative side.
Test your draft Software Developer resume by sending it out to peers and mentors in your circles. Ask them to review it as if they are hiring you for a project and implement the feedback afterwards.
Additional sections for your software developer resume
In some cases, especially when it comes to entry-level positions, adding more sections beyond the usual ‘experience’, ‘skills’, and ‘education’ works well in your favor. Such additional sections will help you paint a fuller picture of who you are in the recruiter’s head.
Here’s a list of fun yet informative additional sections for your resume:
Making your software developer resume creative
We know too well that recruiters go through tons of resumes every day. The worse part is, they often need to hire people for different positions and teams. So how do you make yourself stand out in such cases?
By adding a dash of creativity to your Software Developer resume. It can be in the form of a colorful layout, a section describing your typical day, or even a picture of your favorite book – you decide!
Just make sure that the levels of creativity match the industry, company, and position you’re applying for.
What makes a great software developer resume: key takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.