According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Director Of Software Engineering positions are at a 22% growth rate, which is much faster than average. With that said, there are currently 1,847,900 jobs in the market right now. The total number of jobs is expected to increase by 409,500 to 2,257,400 in the period of 2020-30.
What’s more, the median annual wage for the Director Of Software Engineering jobs was $110,140 in May 2020. The lowest 10% earned less than $65,210, and the highest 10% more than $170,100.
Our conclusion? The Director Of Software Engineering job market is wide open for candidates.
Top director of software engineering sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
What to write in your Director of Software Engineering experience section
Director of software engineering resume's job experience checklist:
- Use 4-6 bullet points per job title;
- Don’t go further than a decade behind when describing your job history, unless you’re applying for an executive position;
- Combine job responsibilities as well as achievements with numbers in results when you describe your past work;
- Start each sentence with a power verb and avoid overused buzzwords;
- Use either C-A-R or S-T-A-R methodology, when describing your experience.
The work experience samples below come from real Director of Software Engineering resumes that got people hired at top companies. You can use them as an inspiration to build your own resume:
- Provided consultancy services for FinTech startups, such as ClearMacro.com, P2P Lending Greenyvest.com from Frankfurt; WonderRail.com, BlockVerify.io and Mir Consulting Services from London; BlockChain startup from Budapest, also for Travel startup Tohoti.com from Saint Petersburg, and IoT startup NWave.io from London.
- Contracted as Head of Technology for realt.by, a top property portal in Belarus.
- Bootstrapped Mobile Apps Discovery Startup as Interim CTO.
- Hired and line managed a team of developers in remote locations, and was responsible for delivery of the product, including architecture, design, UI/UX, development, deployment, product roadmap, release milestones, product and sprint backlogs.
- Advised on matters related to the direction of the Institute
- Developed the Computer Science curriculum.
- Coordinated the development of internal software used by the Institute
- Served on the strategic management team for the development of the Free Trade And Processing Zone
- Led multiple devops-enabled delivery teams responsible for end-to-end delivery from code to test to release to production support.
- Uber-scalable micro-service architecture for checkout & payments of nearing $1B USD in financial transactions / year.
- Led B2B SaaS Sales & Support platforms for integrated partners.
- Built company from the ground-up (2nd person hired), hiring all of the software engineering staff and delivering embedded software that controlled a high-speed 10Gbps and 100Gbps fiber optic network switch.
- Coded (hands-on) in C and C++ to implement Linux drivers and control firmware in FPGA environment in a multi-threaded, real-time OS.
- Prototyped networking application (Operations Support System) and led a team to develop final versions based on my prototype
- Interacted with Product Management and Hardware Engineering teams throughout design life cycle
- Worked for IKEA, Sodexo, Santander, Orange and Barcelona's Town Hall.
- Re-engineered their failing prototype into the flagship product that ended up bringing in 70% of the income.
- Built the Software Engineering department from scratch and stablished feedback and automation procedures.
- Server-side PHP 5.2+ REST APIs, Node.js, WebSockets, MySQL, deployed with Puppet and Ansible.
- Mostly JavaSscript, AngularJS, ActionScript 3, Flash, Flex.
- Management of the software department, in charge of design, development and service for professional solutions in QSR and Retail (75 engineers in Paris, Bucharest and Sao Paolo)
- Software architecture and product governance
- Relation to integrators, both inside and outside the Acrelec Group
- Digital service for media content creation and distribution
- Consulting and pre-sales support to strategical key accounts
- Developed custom modules on Odoo (formerly OpenERP), implementation and integration with corporate and third party systems
- Implemented JIS-2 track data transmission mechanism for Japanese market
- Analysed & resolved product problems in field by visiting merchant sites
- Developed and maintained modules for the Mobile Wallet backend on OSGI framework
- Developed and maintained modules for the Mobile POS (mPOS) software server stack using WSO2 SOA on Amazon EC2
- Developed and maintained card track Data Decryption service for mPOS and mobile wallet
- Performed Mobile POS EMV Certification (MasterCard M-TIP, VISA ADVT) for select partners and their payment system
- Provided Software Engineering support to international customer base on select products & SDKs
- Developed new API strategy and framework for client source system integration generating $2M+ in the first year
- Technical and application security expert leveraged in SSAE16 audits
- Technical expert called upon to assist sales executives and work with prospects when closing $1M+ deals
Check the Director of Software Engineering job description for inspiration. Look for similarities between your employer’s values and your experience.
Action verbs for your director of software engineering resume
Director of Software Engineering Resume Skills’ Tips & Tricks to Impress Recruiters
Checklist for a perfect Director of Software Engineering resume skills section:
- Make sure to include most if not all essential skills for the job;
- Check the job description and add some keywords to pass ATS;
- List both hard and technical skills;
- When it comes to soft skills – elaborate on them in other sections of your resume (e.g. the experience section).
Top skills for your director of software engineering resume
Teamwork and communication
Creative problem solving
Owning up to errors
When picking skills to feature in your resume, make sure they'll be relevant to the position you’re applying to. The point of listing skills is for you to stand out from the competition. Stay away from repetitive, meaningless skills that everyone uses in their resumes. Or else, they’ll backfire and make you look like an average candidate.
Director of Software Engineering Resume Header: Tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist for your director of software engineering resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Some companies, states, and countries have non-discrimination policies about what kind of information can be included on your Director of Software Engineering resume. This might include a photo (which is often included in a resume header and might be on personal web pages you link to). You can always email the company’s HR department to ask about their policies before you apply.
Director of software engineering resume summary best practices
Checklist: What to include in your Director of Software Engineering resume summary:
- Years of experience;
- Highlight top 3 skills and proficiencies;
- One big professional accomplishment you’re most proud of, that you can tie with the aforementioned skills;
- Use short, direct sentences - but no more than three - to keep the HRs interested.
Resume summary formula:
You’re not going to get hired simply because of a good summary or objective. However, your recruiter can bump you up in front of similarly experienced candidates who didn’t demonstrate such passion and drive.
Drawing the attention to your Director of Software Engineering resume education section
Crafting a job-winning education section:
- Use the reverse-chronological format when listing your degrees;
- Tailor the classes you’ve taken to the position you’re applying for if you’re an entry-level candidate;
- Mention the awards and honors you’ve received;
- Add your certifications (but only those relevant to the position).
Top certifications for your director of software engineering resume
Software Engineering 101: Plan and Execute Better Software.
Software Engineering 101: Use Software Engineering to Plan and Build Amazing Software + Learn SCRUM Framework!
Software Architecture & Design of Modern Large Scale Systems
Master Software Architecture, System Design & Big Data Processing. Become a Software Architect or Technical Lead
Requirements Engineering: Software Engineering
Everything you need to know about software requirements: elicitation, analysis, documentation, validation and management
The Complete Guide to Becoming a Software Architect
The most comprehensive guide that will make you a Software Architect, the most desired role in the software industry.
Developer To Architect: Mastering Software Architecture
Learn Software & Solution Architecture for Architecting and Deploying Large-Scale, Highly-Available and Secure Systems
There are dozens of certifications that you can claim as a Director of Software Engineering. But, some are more effective than others. That’s why you mustn’t include every certificate other applicants might have. Try instead to earn and list a few of the difficult ones.
Director of software engineering resume: additional writing & formatting tips
There are three basic resume formats you can choose from:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional resume format;
- Hybrid (or Combination) resume format;
The most optimal format for your particular case will depend on your years of experience, as well as whether you’re switching industries or not.
Reverse chronological resumes are best suited for experienced individuals who are sticking to their industry. The experience section takes a central place, and its bullets contain your responsibilities and achievements, coupled with numbers and results.
Functional resumes are used by less experienced jobseekers or career changers. Note that it’s not a format that recruiters prefer, as most are used to the classic chronological alignment. Instead of a list of job titles, functional resumes focus on your skills, and through what experiences you gained them.
Hybrid resumes are great for both experienced and entry-level candidates, as well as career changers. They combine the best of both worlds - most often in a double column format, where one side of the content is focused on your experience, whereas the other - on your skills, strengths, and proudest moments.
Director of Software Engineering Resume Summary Best Practices
Here are some additional tips on perfecting your resume layout and style:
- Go for a traditional resume font sized 12p;
- Use standard 1-inch resume margins for increased readability;
- Make sure your resume fits on a one-page template. In case you’ve got 10 years of experience or more, your resume’s length can reach two pages;
- Avoid unwanted editing and plagiarism – save your resume as PDF before sending it to the recruiters.
Want to take it a step further? Learn how to make your resume stand out without relying too much on creativity.
Sometimes you’ll want to go after a job which requires more experience than you have. Instead of using a typical Director of Software Engineering resume layout, you can use a creative layout. Getting noticed is the most important challenge and a creative resume layout might help you get invited for an interview as most of other accountants have boring resume designs.
Want to include something more to your director of software engineering resume?
So you’ve already listed details about your education, experience, and skills. You’ve also crafted an amazing summary.
But now you feel a creative urge to showcase your personality and not just your expertise.
We’ve got you! Thanks to our modern templates, you can now include a chart of what your typical day looks like or even a word or two about your life philosophy. All this without sacrificing your Director Of Software Engineering resume’s professional feel.
Some non-traditional sections for your resume include:
Director of Software Engineering Resume: How to make yours more creative & stand out
When you send your resume to a potential employer, chances are it's the fiftieth one they've seen that day. That's why you need to make your Director of Software Engineering resume stand out for the right reasons. That means showing your personality, not just your professional experience. Employers are far more likely to remember a candidate who seems like a genuine person and not a robot. Do this by including your passions (which is also a great place to demonstrate skills on a resume), share your favorite books, or even what your usual day looks like.
What makes a great director of software engineering resume: key takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.