According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, IT and Software Engineering positions are at a much faster than average growth rate, which is 22%. With that said, there are currently 1,847,900 jobs in the market right now. The total number of jobs is expected to increase by 409,500 to 2,257,400 in the period of 2020-30.
What’s more, the median annual wage for the IT and Software Engineering jobs was $110,140 in May 2020. The lowest 10% earned less than $65,210, and the highest 10% more than $170,100.
Our conclusion? The IT and Software Engineering job market is facing competition due to decreasing demand.
Top freelance software developer sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
How to write a freelance software developer resume experience section
Freelance software developer resume experience: checklist
- Use either chronological or reverse-chronological format when listing your previous jobs;
- Mention only relevant positions that add value to your resume;
- Briefly state the challenges you’ve faced and how you’ve overcome them;
- Highlight the results from your efforts (for bonus points, add numbers, percentage rates, etc.);
- Forget about buzzwords! Use power verbs instead.
Use the examples below to build your own experience section!
- System requirements specifications and test plan documentation.
- Testing and Troubleshooting.
- Performing code reviews.
- Providing technical support.
- Developing automated functional, regression, performance testing scripts for Cisco Networking Academy using Apache JMeter, HP LoadRunner and HP WinRunner.
- Designing Performance testing Scenarios and running load tests to analyze the outcomes and identify performance bottlenecks.
- Technical Documentation.
- Designed a web application using python flask web framework that allows users to post relevant information.
- Database design, development with flask SQLAlchemy and sqlite.
- Deploy the web application to a linux web server with Nginx and Gunicorn.
- Design the front end of the web application using HTML, CSS and Bootstrap 4.
- Perform unit testing using python unittest module.
- Develops software solutions by studying information needs conferring with user , studying system flow , data usage and work processes
- Investigating problem areas, following the software development life cycle
- Supports and develops software engineers by providing advice, coaching and educational opportunities
- Protects Operations by keeping information confidential
- Responsible for peer reviewing of code checking into repository
- Analyses the use case and gathering the requirement
- Developing the application
- Unit test
- Backend developer of core models with Go, java and Neo4J.
- Lead and build the entire BI infrastructure from End to End using Java and Airflow.
- Create Big Data processes over Google Cloud Dataflow and Big Query.
- Coaching outsource firm members on technical best practises
- Leading, designing and reviewing CRM projects
- Developing projects using JAVA, Oracle, Core Banking Framework
- Improving the performance of SQL
- Worked on PowerDesigner
- Learned database design standards
- Developed branch screens using JAVA, ORACLE and Core Banking Framework
- Converted PL/SQL packages to JAVA web services
- Learned well performed application development
- Learned integration with external system
- Developed Java web service used Core Banking Framework
- Developing the back-end of IoT platform using Java, Node.js, Spring, AWS, PostgreSQL, Hibernate, REST, Terraform, Docker.
- Developing and maintaining the front end functionality of website using Angular.
- Checking in and tracking software with use of Git.
- Agile software development with Scrum.
- Participating in discussions with clients to clarify what they want.
- Maintained and developed backend of music and video streaming app called Fizy using Java, Python, Spring, Oracle, Hibernate.
- Developed microservices using AWS.
- Agile software development with Scrum.
- Designed and developed internal staff training platform that reduced the onboarding time for newly hired engineers from 2 months to 2 weeks
- Led a team of 6 engineers to develop a first of a kind proprietary deployment system for customer-led applications in augmented reality sector
- Redesigned legacy testing and pre-production systems to increase the concept to publish lifecycle for all customer-facing apps by 20 to 40%
- Redesigned an intranet business application to work custom business forms, which reduced the total amount of business service tickets by 40%
- Upgraded legacy QA test environment that allowed the company to include unit testing as part of one-week Scrum sprints
- Integrated sales reports and CRM system with DataOps solution, presenting all C-level executives across 25 branches with real-time dashboards on sales KPI
- Created, delivered and maintained scalable system architecture to support high-availability Internet site with various internal applications
- Trusted by CTO to lead team of 3 to build and beautify a responsive front-end interface using Angular framework
- Planned and engineered RESTful web services to manipulate dynamic datasets using AWS API Gateway + Lambda and Serverless framework
- Utilized MySQL and Amazon RDS for processing data requests, optimizing database schemas and data migration
- Implementation of referral program and admin portal increased user registration rate by 22% and reduced cost for user KYC and transaction verifications by 53% respectively
- Fixed crucial bugs that caused company wide system downtime
- Mentored new developers by helping with onboarding and explaining different parts of the system
- Improved match results of a bot capable of image comparisons, using Microsoft Cognitive Services, by 40%
- Worked in Scrum Agile-driven environment to effectively maintain project timelines and utilize available resources
- Evaluated project requirements and specifications to develop software applications that surpassed client expectations
- Designed and updated layouts to meet usability and performance requirements for web, mobile, AEM and DMS applications
- Participated in more than 4 projects per year from initial research and conceptual design through testing and implementation phases
- Carefully documented technical workflows and knowledge in private wiki for education of newly hired employees
- Front-End Developer ( React.js ) at Vobi.io
- Full-Stack Developer ( React.js & Node.js & MongoDB ) at Billing Solutions LLC / invoice.ge
- Inspected equipment, assessed functionality and optimized controls.
- Gathered and defined customer requirements to develop clearspecifications for creating well-organized project plans.
- Reviewed code, debugged problems and corrected issues.
- Worked on business financial projects using React, Node.js.
- Prepared test plans and test cases based on unit tests, end-to-endtests.
- Contributed ideas and suggestions in team meetings and deliveredupdates on deadlines, designs and enhancements.
- Built, tested and deployed scalable, highly available and modularsoftware products.
- Collaborated with developers and performance engineers to enhancesupportability and identify performance bottlenecks.
- Created databases and table structures according to Mongo DBarchitecture methodology for web applications.
- Was responsible for database, API design and development on the
back-end for many features
- Taken responsibilities as Full Stack Developer and Developed a few
features from scratch (both backend & frontend )
- Added indexes to database tables and improved query performance
- Followed Agile development and consistently delivered new features on time during sprints and Communicated updates in daily scrum meetings using JIRA software
- I am currently working as a software engineer in a company based project. I am doing Hygiene Control project in this company using Asp.Net MVC and MSSQL technologies. It could also be used as an extensible project for audit purposes in the retail sector. Auditing will be carried out by auditors.
- I developed an application with Asp.Net MVC for Yorim Glasses Company(Quality Control Management)
- We solved the problem of Gürmen holding between e-commerce and ERP integration with Jitterbit Studio.
Don't make the same mistake everyone else does. What we mean is, don't list your Freelance Software Developer job responsibilities instead of your achievements. Recruiters know what you do. They want to know what kind of difference you can bring to their company. Focus on what you've accomplished.
Action verbs for your freelance software developer resume
Freelance software developer resume: the skills section!
How to write a strong freelance software developer resume skills section?
- Make sure to include all types of skills - soft, hard, technical;
- Focus on skills that show your expertise in the field;
- Check the job description for keywords and make sure to add them to your resume – this will help you pass ATS;
- Leave room for discussion – elaborate on some of your strongest skills in other sections of your resume
Top Skills for Your Freelance Software Developer Resume
Teamwork and communication
Creative problem solving
Owning up to errors
Don’t feel obliged to spend a separate section for your soft skills - you can weave them throughout your job experience or career summary. But, don’t just write empty words - back them with examples.
Freelance software developer resume header: tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist for your freelance software developer resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Include a link to your portfolio in your Freelance Software Developer resume header. Most companies will require that you include one in your resume, and even if they don’t, it’s an excellent opportunity to directly show them your proudest projects.
A career summary for your freelance software developer resume
Things to include in your freelance software developer resume summary:
- Your total years of experience in the industry;
- 2-3 of your most remarkable achievements so far;
- How your experience relates to the position you’re applying for;
- A very brief description of your strengths.
Resume summary formula:
Your summary section should act as a brief but informative introduction to your experience section. In this section you should go into more depth about what you have done, and how you did it.
Freelance software developer resume: The education section
Things to include in your resume's education section:
- Your highest education degree – including course, year of graduation, institution;
- Awards received as part of your education;
- Extracurricular activities that have helped you gain relevant skills;
- Certifications that have helped you master new skills and increase your expertise;
- Entry-level applicants only: relevant courses and projects.
Top certifications for your freelance software developer resume
Freelancing on Upwork & Freelancer.com as a Beginner in 2022
Learn how to apply on projects, Win the jobs you want, Earn big on freelance websites such as Upwork and Freelancer.com.
Complete Guide to Freelancing in 2022: Zero to Mastery
Achieve freelance success on sites like Upwork or Fiverr. Start a home business or side hustle. No experience needed!
Freelancing: 37 Ways to Make Money From Home as a Freelancer
Do You Want to Make Money Freelancing? This Is the Best Course for You!
The Freelance Masterclass: For Creatives
The Ultimate Guide to Freelancing: Learn to Price Projects, Build Portfolios, Find Clients, Brand Yourself & More!
How To Start A Successful Freelancing Business 2022
Learn new skills and be amongst top 1% pro
If you hold a certain major and a minor, your majors should be mentioned first.
Choosing the right format for your freelance software developer resume
In general, there are three basic formats for your resume:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional skills-based resume format;
- Combination (or Hybrid) resume format.
Some things to consider when choosing the right format for your Freelance Software Developer resume include the stage of your career, whether you have all the right skills required for the job or are looking for an industry change, and what field you’re looking to grow in.
The reverse-chronological resume format is the most common one. It lets you describe your most recent job and then move backward. This makes it great for people who have around or less than 10 years of experience and are looking to highlight only their work-related skills and qualities.
If you’re just starting your career journey and reverse-chronological resumes sound too demanding, go for the functional resume format. It’s ideal for showcasing your strengths, personal qualities, skills, education, and the courses you’ve taken, without putting too much pressure on experience and expertise.
Don’t worry if neither of these sounds suitable for you – the hybrid or combination resume format will surely match your needs. It’s similar to the reverse-chronological, but with a catchy twist. Combination or hybrid resumes are great for showcasing both your experience and work-related skills and your personal qualities. Add a “What my day looks like” section for enhancing the jaw-dropping experience!
Here are some more things worth remembering when it comes to formatting your Freelance Software Developer resume:
- Choose standard 1-inch resume margins;
- Go for traditional resume fonts sized 10-12p;
- Match the length of your Freelance Software Developer resume with your experience – choose a one-page template if you have less than 10 years of experience, and be careful with two-page templates – use them only when applying for executive positions;
- Save your resume in PDF to avoid formatting issues and potential unauthorized editing.
Tired of getting rejected? Check out this article on how to craft a resume that stands out!
Test your draft Freelance Software Developer resume by sending it out to peers and mentors in your circles. Ask them to review it as if they are hiring you for a project and implement the feedback afterwards.
Other sections suitable for your freelance software developer resume
Depending on the position and the industry, you can spice your resume up by adding some more sections. They will help the recruiter get a glimpse of who you are as a person, besides all your job-related skills and qualities.
Here are some examples:
How to add creativity to your freelance software developer resume
Gone are the days when creative resumes were frowned upon by recruiters!
What’s more, the right amount of creativity will make recruiters remember you and want to learn more about who you are – both as an individual and as a professional.
There are two ways to build a creative resume - add creative sections or go for a more creative design approach in general. Go for whatever suits you, the position, and the industry most!
What makes a great freelance software developer resume: key takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.