According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Bar Manager positions are at a 15% growth rate, which is faster than average. With that said, there are currently 309,800 jobs in the market right now. The total number of jobs is expected to increase by 46,200 to 356,000 in the period of 2020-30.
What’s more, the median annual wage for the Bar Manager jobs was $56,590 in May 2020. The lowest 10% earned less than $33,880, and the highest 10% more than $94,770.
Our conclusion? The Bar Manager job market is wide open for candidates.
Top bar manager sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
How to write the perfect bar manager resume experience section
Bar manager experience section: checklist
- List your positions in chronological or reverse-chronological order;
- Go for 4-6 bullet points;
- Add only relevant work experience;
- Include information about the challenges you’ve faced, the actions you’ve taken, and the results you’ve achieved;
- Use action verbs instead of filler words.
We’ve selected some of the top Bar Manager resumes made using the Enhancv platform to illustrate what a great experience section looks like. Use them as inspiration when building your own resume:
- Plan and execute all bar operations including managing all aspects of staffing, inventory management and ensuring high service and quality standards on daily basis.
- Resolve all customer issues/complaints in a timely, professional manner so as to retain their business.
- Tend to a 20 seat bar top and 10 table layout, as well as accommodate larger parties of 75 or more in our hall.
- Promoted to Bar Manager two years back after showing great promise as lead bartender for five years.
- Manage and execute social media marketing and online presence for the organization.
- Implement improvements and new products/initiatives
- Responsible for 2-5% annual increase in bar sales consistently through cost saving initiatives and event planning and rollout.
- Responsible for operation, Event function, relationship with guests.
- Provide and recommendation wine to paring with Riedel signature dished.
- Provide and recommendation F&B team regarding to future plans.
- Conduct internal training ( Service standard, Basic F&B knowledge)
- Sale history, Cost control, Par stock Etc,
- Managed team of 6 people and managed the inventory of the bar during high season
- Organised work space from the scratch
- Get an exclusive contract with alcohol distribution companies
- Worked as a consulting bartender
- Maintained an inventory of over 150 spirits
- Created recipes and compiled a custom drink list of over 20 different cocktails
- Efficiently built and managed a diverse team in a fast-paced, world class unique venue.
- improved customer engagement and repeat business by delivering outstanding customer service.
- Successful achievement of beverage revenue targets through the development and marketing of new concepts and careful cost control.
- Managed customer service by training staff, overseeing operations and resolving issues quickly.
- Resolved customer complaints quickly to maximise satisfation and bar loyalty.
- Managed a team of 30+ employees, including bar, restaurant and café staff.
- Monitored customers to keep alcohol consumption at appropriate levels.
- effectively handle customer complaints and special requests
- recruit, hire and train new bar staff
- staff performance and provide ongoing counselling and coaching
- set and monitor service standards
- follow all product control measures including inventory management and loss prevention measures
- monitor compliance with all internal monetary control measures
- ensure all revenues, cash, credit or check are properly deposited and accounted for
- generate and present financial reports
- creating staff rotas, booking agencies
- Managing requisition forms and replenished any shortages to stock Rotating inventory and keep track of stock
- Being in charge of the direction, supervision, performance, training, and evaluation of all positions within the department
- Exceeding guest expectations and provide the highest level of service
- all opening and closing tasks are completed quickly and correctly to prepare for the next day of operation
- Manage labour, create schedules, and make sure enough bartending staff is always available to satisfy all guests
- Take drink orders during busy times, prepare special drinks, and serve them professionally and quickly
- Interacted with guests and made them feel as comfortable as possible
- Prepared drinks quickly and correctly as they are ordered
- Performed cleaning tasks when business was slower
- Answered guest inquiries and related information
- Manage labor, create schedules, and make sure enough bartending staff is always available to satisfy all guests
- Interacted with guests and made them feel as comfortable
- Kept track of tabs accurately and handled money responsibly
- Creating seasonal cocktail list
- Rotating inventory and keep track of stock
- Plan and present bar menu.
- Set up special events and private parties.
- Maintain stock levels to prevent shortages of critical items.
- Hired and trained 7 bar staff on all SOP.
- Minimised staff overhead by 21% through analysing strengths vs weaknesses, rearranging work schedules based on capabilities and needs.
- Promoted a new cocktail named Dragon Hill which gained immense popularity and increased sales by 20% in the first 3 months.
- Set up entire bar section at a brand new branch, completed 2 days in advance and exceeded 10% vs budget.
- Recruited and conducted trainings for 6 new bar staff.
- Created menu with 20 signature cocktails and individual cost.
- Supervised overall bar activities, brain-stormed, guided team members whenever necessary for all suppliers/vendors.
- Assisted the operation manager for opening a new restaurant bar, including hiring, training, liquor selection, signature drinks, scheduling and cash management.
- Developed signature drinks.
- Directed Bartending operations, overseeing seamless beverage service
- Created and implemented bar and floor service manual for the outlet
- Implemented effective procedures to ensure friendly environment
- Ensured that bar environment is safe as per the required health and safety standards for both guest and associates.
- Ensured that guest get quality service, which added to the image and reputation of the bar.
- Developed and maintained staff that provided hospitable, professional service while adhering to policies and business initiatives
- Trained staff in all aspects of daily operations
- Introduced new idea which resulted in increased revenue and growth by 70%
Make sure to relate your experience to your job description, but never lie. That’s not tolerated and will show up in the face-to-face interview later on.
Action verbs for your bar manager resume
Bar manager resume: How to write a strong skills section
The ultimate bar manager skills section checklist:
- Balance between all kinds of hard skills – technical, analytical, etc.
- When it comes to technical skills, match them to the job description;
- Add keywords present in the job advert to pass ATS;
- Don’t forget to list transferable skills such as communication, teamwork, work ethic, and presentation skills.
Top skills for your bar manager resume
Physical Stregth and Coordination
Knowledge of Food Safety
Speed and Agility
Basic Medical Care
Attention to details
Avoid getting sidetracked by Applicant tracking software by including a tech skills' section matching the job description and your own qualifications.
Bar Manager Resume Header: Tips, Red Flags, and Best Practices
Checklist for your bar manager resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Some companies, states, and countries have non-discrimination policies about what kind of information can be included on your Bar Manager resume. This might include a photo (which is often included in a resume header and might be on personal web pages you link to). You can always email the company’s HR department to ask about their policies before you apply.
Bar manager resume summary: things to include and things to avoid
Job-winning bar manager resume summary checklist:
- Mention your total years of experience in the field;
- Highlight one or two of your top achievements;
- Avoid getting into too much detail – you’ll do that in the experience section;
- Focus on short sentences that are easy to read and add value to your application.
Resume summary formula:
Read the job description carefully and understand what the hiring company is exactly looking for. After that, write your summary accordingly while highlighting your potential and ability to be the best at that job.
Highlighting education, courses, and certifications in your bar manager resume
Education section checklist:
- What? Where? What’s the result? Answer these questions when mentioning education and courses on your resume;
- Give preference to courses and degrees that are relevant to the job position;
- Be honest! Some recruiters love checking with colleges and universities to see if you’ve really been enrolled in them;
- Share more about certifications that have helped you turn into a professional, and mention the bodies that have issued them.
Top certifications for your bar manager resume
Bar Manager Training Course - 8 Areas of Focus For Success
Increase your knowledge and insight into the world of Bar & Hospitality Management & be successful in your future
Bar & Hospitality Management Training Course
Take the next step
The Project Management Course: Beginner to PROject Manager
The Complete Course for becoming a Successful Project Manager
Communications for New Managers
Learn from an Emmy-Award Winner and a #1 LinkedIn Instructor on developing effective leadership communications skills.
New Manager: The Basics and More of Being a Great Leader
Go from a slightly uncertain, confused newbie to a confident, skilled manager who builds and leads effective teams.
If you hold a certain major and a minor, your majors should be mentioned first.
bar manager resume format 101
If a couple of years ago Bar Manager resumes could be text files with no graphic elements, today’s recruiters need a bit more to remember you.
And yet, you can still choose between three basic resume formats:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional skills-based resume format;
- Combination (or Hybrid) resume format.
But when it comes to choosing the right format for your Bar Manager resume, there are two factors to keep in mind: your experience and whether you’re looking for an industry change.
The reverse-chronological format is the most common one. That being said, it gives recruiters exactly what they’re used to in terms of order and information. However, it’s not suitable for applicants with employment gaps or not enough experience.
We at Enhancv suggest the functional skills-based resume format for people with limited work experience who find reverse-chronological resumes irrelevant. This format showcases the applicant’s most significant accomplishments, skills, and strengths.
Don’t miss our resume format checklist:
- Go for a traditional easy-to-read resume font sized 10-12p;
- Don’t risk it: choose standard 1-inch resume margins;
- Make sure your Bar Manager resume fits in one to two pages;
- Save your resume in PDF to avoid having it edited by someone else.
Looking for more tips? Check out our job-winning guide for crafting a resume that gets you remembered!
If you feel that you don’t have high chances in a particular company, due to lack of relevant experience, then you can still consider using a creative layout. That might help you get noticed and invited for an interview, as most of the other applicants will have boring resume designs.
Other sections for your bar manager resume
If the position you’re applying for allows for that, you can include some non-traditional sections in your resume. This will add a bit more depth to your application and will also give the hiring manager a better idea of who you are as a person.
Some ideas include:
A bar manager resume recruiters would love
You’ve drafted an amazing Bar Manager resume, but are still not sure whether it will make a strong first impression? After all, recruiters go over tens of resumes each day, right?
Right! And the recipe for getting their attention includes a dash of creativity.
What’s more, a creative resume is perfect for adding your personality to the mix. For example, you could mention your favorite books, quotes, movies, or even what your day usually looks like.
Regardless of what you choose, make sure your levels of creativity match the industry, the company, and the position. Otherwise, your resume might look silly and inapt.
What makes a great bar manager resume: key takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.