According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Strategy Consultant positions are at a 14% growth rate, which is faster than average. With that said, there are currently 907,600 jobs in the market right now. The total number of jobs is expected to increase by 124,400 to 1,032,000 in the period of 2020-30.
What’s more, the median annual wage for the Strategy Consultant jobs was $87,660 in May 2020. The lowest 10% earned less than $50,990, and the highest 10% more than $156,840.
Our conclusion? The Strategy Consultant job market is wide open for candidates.
Top strategy consultant sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
How to craft the perfect strategy consultant resume experience section
Perfecting the experience section: strategy consultant resume checklist.
- Be careful with bullet points: use no more than 4-6 per position;
- Mention only positions that are relevant to the job you’re applying for;
- List your experience in chronological or reverse-chronological order;
- Highlight your results by using numbers – e.g. percentage increase/decrease in an important metric that’s followed by - your hard work;
- Use action words whenever possible… but more on that below.
Need examples? We looked through thousands of Strategy Consultant resumes and gathered some examples of what the ideal experience section looks like. Check them out below!
- Customized a cloud based, real-time, data management system, with CRM, loyalty and payment solutions to retail, financial and consumer services clients, improving efficiency by 35% and sales by 25%.
- Solved a 1 M credit card demand negotiating strategic alliances with providers and developing an integrated acquisition, activation and retention plan tailored to the client specific needs, both on and offline.
- Built a "transmedia" and "gamification" digital talent base to serve clients looking to effectively engage with new millennial segments.
- Consultant leading the restructuring of the company's commercial media unit, alongside senior executive staff
- Serve as a thought leader on strategic transformation to impact all business lines: media partnerships, co-productions, sponsorship strategy and execution
- Active involvement in securing INEOS 1:59 Challenge integrated media project plus Amazon Prime's Premier League broadcast rights exploitation
- Asserted pre & post sales solutions, commercial growth and pipeline expansion plan in-line with business and marketing objectives
- Deal sizes ranging from £5k short-term licenses up to £2.5m for global multi-year broadcast production & distribution agreements
- Advise on YouTube and Facebook platform partner relationships
- Directed and implemented market analysis and media planning model followed by go-to-market design in partnership with internal stakeholders
- Successfully delivered a sustainable and high-margin B2B premium programmatic ad-tech product
- Led a team of 3 junior consultants to create a 10-year business plan to increase the firm’s annual revenue by $15M and annual growth rate by 10%
- Diagnosed the industry performance through competitive benchmarks
- Developed performance indicators to ensure manageable growth rate
- Proposed a new marketing approach that would give access to a larger customer pool and enhance the sales conversion rate by at least 5%
- Strategised a shift from client retention to client acquisition through a new marketing plan and academic partnerships
- Senior member of team deployed to identify and deliver strategic growth projects during the financial economic downturn
- Saved over 27k active billing customers
- 2008 & 2009 Verizon Wireless Winners Circle Award
- Uncovered strategic opportunity areas for a multinational beverage company looking to grow its mobile and digital presence
- Wrote user stories and acceptance criteria used to develop a first-of-a-kind mobile app for a multinational beverage company
- Developed materials for a new offering area and created a project plan for a 12- month pilot roll out and a financial model to identify pricing, staffing needs and profitability projections
- Consulted with over a dozen clients on how to optimize efficiency, grow, and transom their business
- Conducted extensive market research across a variety of geographies and industries to identify opportunities and new go to market strategies
- Worked with companies on ideation, validation, and experiment design to ensure product market/fit
- Led customer experience programs to identify what is important to customers before release to market
- Managed cross-functional teams across design, engineering, marketing, product management, and sales to ensure continuity
- Created and delivered on strategic road maps across operating models
- Grew a high performing team in San Diego with a focus on operational strategy
- Evaluate the local footprint of XP in Brazil to create transparency and feasibility check for L4L business. Ramp down unprofitable localized products to reduce costs and efforts
- Strategic consulting in market requirement evaluation, competitor analysis and customer segmentation projects to support radiography product management
- Strategic consulting support for preparation of India long term India strategy by providing market model paired with financial business cases for new surgery and radiography products
- Developed, maintained, and transitioned 10 financial models and tools used by the CFO to report on and project client’s $3B business
- Analyzed an unutilized text-based data source consisting of over a billion data entries using text analytics tools and methodologies to solve previously unanswerable business questions
- Automated analytic process allowing future users to rapidly analyze even larger data sets and deliver results to the client quickly
- Pulp and Paper Consumer Goods Manufacturer: Logistics Cost Reduction assessment. (Location: Sweden.)
- Cocoa and Chocolate Manufacturer: Supply Chain Organization benchmarking and design. (Location: USA.)
- Stainless Steel Manufacturer: (1) Order Management design and (2) S&OP design. (Locations: Finland, Germany, UK, Sweden.)
- Proprietary Pharmaceutical Company: Forecasting Analytics and Demand Planning assessment. (Location: Germany.)
- Large Non-operating Private Foundation (Healthcare and Poverty): Control Tower Design workshop. (Location: Spain.)
- Medical Devices Company: S&OP design and implementation. (Locations: Germany, USA, France.)
- Generics Pharmaceutical Company: Forecasting Analytics and Demand Planning implementation. (Locations: Spain, France, Italy.)
- Innovation projects (e.g. "The Future of Operations", Virtual Economy).
- Updating the risk management infrastructure of a major financial services firm ($570 billion AUM), after completing a 4-month audit.
- Co-manage Teneo Ventures clients to provide strategic support through funding rounds and outreach.
- Work with a core team on the international development of Teneo Risk, under the guidance of former NYPD Commissioner, William Bratton.
- Draft white papers, business briefs and memorandums detailing major geopolitical happenings for Fortune 50 CEOs, usually focused on trade.
- Offer a multidisciplinary approach to clients with experience across Teneo Strategy, Teneo Risk, Teneo Ventures, Teneo Intelligence and Teneo Sports (5 of Teneo's 13 global divisions).
Show off real numbers that display your accomplishments in past roles. Instead of listing out your responsibilities as Strategy Consultant, talk about the measurable impact you made to their business. Did you boost their revenue? Increase customer retention? Mention your proudest points on your resume.
Action verbs for your strategy consultant resume
Impressing recruiters with a top strategy consultant resume skills section
Checklist for an impressive Strategy Consultant resume skills section:
- List both hard and technical skills that are important for the role;
- Check what the job description says and add some keywords based on that;
- Focus only on relevant skills;
- Try not to list things such as “communication”; rather, highlight your soft skills in other sections of your Strategy Consultant resume.
Top skills for your strategy consultant resume
SAS Enterprise Miner
SPSS Text Analytics
Add a Talent Section to your resume, where you can pick your top 3 soft skills and describe how you used them to complete a project or balance departmental communication.
Strategy consultant resume header: tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist for your strategy consultant resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Some companies, states, and countries have non-discrimination policies about what kind of information can be included on your Strategy Consultant resume. This might include a photo (which is often included in a resume header and might be on personal web pages you link to). You can always email the company’s HR department to ask about their policies before you apply.
Crafting a strong summary for your strategy consultant resume
Checklist: The perfect Strategy Consultant resume summary section
- Add a couple of keywords from the job description;
- Mention some of your most valuable skills and characteristics;
- Highlight your top achievements (and add numbers!);
- Use no more than 3-5 sentences to guarantee readability and keep - the hiring manager interested.
Resume summary formula:
You’re not going to get hired simply because of a good summary or objective. However, your recruiter can bump you up in front of similarly experienced candidates who didn’t demonstrate such passion and drive.
An Impressive Education Section: Strategy Consultant Resume
Strategy consultant resume: Education section checklist
- Highlight your highest education degree;
- Include the degree subject, year of graduation, and institution name;
- Mention some of the awards you’ve received during your studies;
- List your certifications (incl. the body that’s issued them);
- Entry-level positions: Give preference to courses that are relevant to the position.
Top certifications for your strategy consultant resume
Strategy for Management Consultants & Business Analysts
Top advices from consulting practice with examples and case studies
CEO-level Presentation Skills - Slide Writing for Consulting
Learn presentation skills from former strategy consultant, create slides meeting the standards of top consulting firms
Become a well paid Consultant: Volume 2: 7 Strategies
‘How to become a credible, well respected and highly paid Consultant, Business Advisor, Trainer or Coachr’
A Masterclass On How To Build A Winning Business Strategy
Taught by an experienced Strategic Management Consultant
Management Consulting Essential Training
Everything you need to know about the techniques of world’s top management consulting firms to land 6-figure job offer
There are dozens of certifications that you can claim as a Strategy Consultant. But, some are more effective than others. That’s why you mustn’t include every certificate other applicants might have. Try instead to earn and list a few of the difficult ones.
The right format for your strategy consultant resume
When it comes to formatting your Strategy Consultant resume, there are certain things you need to keep in mind. These include your level of expertise, your total years of experience, and the position and company you’re applying for, to name a few.
You can choose between three basic resume formats:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional skills-based resume format;
- Combination (or Hybrid) resume format.
The reverse-chronological format is just that – all your experience listed in a reverse-chronological way. It’s great for experienced professionals who have been in the industry for many years and have no career gaps.
The functional skills-based resume, on the other hand, focuses on skills, education, and personality traits, rather than experience. This makes it great for graduates, people with less experience, or bigger career gaps. The idea is to show you’re the perfect match without putting too much emphasis on your lack of relevant experience.
If none of these sound suitable, go for a hybrid (or combination) resume. It’s a mix of experience, skills, and personality traits. It’s also considered modern and innovative because of its non-traditional structure and sections. Here, you can add details about what your typical day looks like or what your life philosophy is. In short, the hybrid resume format shows who you are, both as a professional and as an individual.
More tips on perfecting your resume style and layout:
- Choose a traditional 12p font;
- Make sure your resume margins are no bigger than an inch;
- Go for a one-page template. If you have broad experience and can’t fit your resume on one page, choose a two-page resume template
- Save your resume as PDF to avoid formatting issues and unauthorized editing.
Read this: Ways to make your Strategy Consultant resume stand out
Sometimes you’ll want to go after a job which requires more experience than you have. Instead of using a typical Strategy Consultant resume layout, you can use a creative layout. Getting noticed is the most important challenge and a creative resume layout might help you get invited for an interview as most of other accountants have boring resume designs.
More sections worth adding to your strategy consultant resume
If the industry, company, and position you’re applying for allow for that, you could include other sections in your Strategy Consultant resume. By doing this, you’ll show the recruiter that you’re a real human and not a robot.
Here are some ideas:
The right kind of creativity for your strategy consultant resume
Several years ago, everyone preferred keeping a safe distance from creative resumes. Today, adding creativity to your CV is considered cool, innovative, and one of the best ways to stand out.
You can add a creative section that describes your typical day or even go for a colorful creative template. No matter what you choose, make sure to keep the position, company, and industry in mind. Otherwise, you risk looking silly.
What makes a great strategy consultant resume: key takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.