Why this resume works
This college student offers a strong resume whose sections overlaps each other:
- The summary section describes the key factors that can help the candidate get a job
- Convincing internship bullet points backed up with action verbs
- References provide crucial evidence that the candidate is a self-motivated student
- Projects, Awards and Publications prove the student is a high performer
The college student job market
Only 50% of recent college graduates had traditional full-time jobs 6 months after graduation in 2020.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics data, 2020 college graduates saw a bigger decrease in labor force participation than those who graduated during the Great Recession.
Among all Americans ages 16 and older, the employment rate declined from 61% in October 2019 to 58% in October 2020.
These facts show hidden opportunities for self-motivated college students to jump-start their professional career.
How to write a college student resume
The focus of your college student resume should be on self motivation skills, a strong work ethic and acquired knowledge.
To stand out from the competition, you should focus on the key factors
Let’s brainstorm together:
A reliable college student should have a well-built Education section with clear and specific bullet points.
It must indicate that the student is engaged in different activities and performs very well.
Then the graduate should show some metrics: founded a chess club, published articles, participated in science competitions, and others.
Therefore, they should have admirable soft skills like communication, or hard skills-public speaking, computer literacy and others.
Follow this example and build your college student resume!
- Do you have any additional courses taken? List them immediately!
- Any references from tutors? Add them as well!
- You can also include a diagram that shows how your day passes.
- Also, it’s crucial to tailor your resume to the job description to increase the chance to get hired.
Yes, you can do it all! This is a winning approach and we will prove it too!
Follow the ultimate college student guide and learn how to build your Summary and Experience sections in detail!
Customer service resume formats
You can fall into the following 3 resume format categories:
Two main factors can impact your choice of resume format:
- Years of experience
- Industry experience
Reverse-chronological resumes are perfect for professionals having some years in a specific niche.
Functional resumes are a good option for people searching for a first job or career changers.
Hybrid resumes combine the best of both worlds. They are great for entry-level and experienced candidates.
Watch out for the style and layout! Here are some resume tips:
If you want your resume to stand out, you might consider adding additional sections like GPA and Certifications.