Top Application Support sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers & results)
- Relevant skills
What to write in your Application Support experience section
Application Support Resume Experience Section Checklist:
- Use at least 3 and no more than 7 bullet points per position;
- Make your experience sound relevant to what you’re applying for;
- Combine responsibilities, results, and critical situations that you’ve handled well;
- Show that you’re willing to take up on challenges;
- Include numbers in any form you like.
To illustrate it more clearly, we’ve collected some of the best experience section examples from real Application Support resumes. Check them out below!
- Reduced the number of tickets by 30% through root cause analysis and proposing permanent fixes to the respective team
- Improved Application service level compliance by 20%, helped in reducing risks and defining mitigation plans, and assisted in resolving issues when required
- Closed tickets formally and, where proper, after review, recorded lessons learned, and reported to stakeholders
- Ensured compliance policies were adhered to and enforced operation procedure
- Led the team in driving operational excellence of business-as-usual processes
- Prepared achievable/improvement plans, tracked activities schedule, and ensured support plans were defined for all projects
- Participated in the planning and coordination of Change Requests and Fixes to production, conducted regression testing, and coordinated quarterly product releases for our customer base
- Liaised with various local and international support groups for Incident and Request Tasks escalation, acted as an incident manager, and communicated outages to respective stakeholders and management
- Proposed permanent solutions/best practices for analysing reoccurring Incidents and Requests
- Maintained the ServiceNow ticketing system, Service Catalogue guidelines and procedure documentation
- Adopted agile practice as part of support process aligned with regional/global
- Ensured security and audit compliance for all support deliverables
- Reduced the number of incidents by 25% through the creation and implementation of new support processes using ITIL best practices
- Developed and implemented a new ticket tracking system that improved ticket resolution time by 15%
- Conducted root cause analysis and recommended permanent fixes for recurring incidents, resulting in a 40% reduction in incident resolution time
- Provided regular and accurate reports to stakeholders on the status of application support activities
- Assisted in the planning and coordination of Change Requests and Fixes to production, conducted regression testing
- Liaised with development and infrastructure teams to ensure smooth application delivery
- Mentored and trained junior members of the team
- Maintained excellent customer service while handling business/application technicality and functionality
- Reduced the average resolution time of customer issues by 30% by implementing an automated system for issue identification and resolution
- Collaborated with the development team to identify and fix 50+ software bugs, resulting in improved system stability and increased customer satisfaction
- Maintained a customer satisfaction score of 95% or higher through prompt and effective communication, both verbal and written
- Collaborated with cross-functional teams to identify and resolve complex customer issues, resulting in a 20% reduction in the number of open tickets
- Developed and delivered training sessions for new technical support team members, resulting in a 50% reduction in the time it took for new team members to become fully productive
- Contributed to the development and maintenance of the company's knowledge base, resulting in improved support team efficiency and increased customer satisfaction
- Implemented Ansible playbook resulting in automated deployment of new application features.
- Resolved performance issues of Websphere MQ and reduced response time by 50%.
- Collaborated with developers to implement agile methodologies resulting in faster delivery of new application features.
- Developed PowerShell scripts resulting in 30% reduction of manual tasks.
- Created and maintained Visio diagrams of system architecture resulting in better understanding of system components.
- Collaborated with infrastructure team to implement Tivoli Workload Scheduler resulting in optimized batch processing.
- Participated in implementing Apache Tomcat resulting in improved application performance.
- Assisted in resolving SQL Server database issues resulting in 80% reduction of application errors.
- Created and maintained Confluence pages resulting in better knowledge sharing among team members.
In writing your Application Support resume, you will no doubt want to list your previous duties - as you should. But steer clear of just listing your duties, instead of your achievements. Make your resume stand out by communicating what you have done, and not merely what the job needed you to do.
Action Verbs for your Application Support Resume
Taking Control of Your Application Support Resume’s Skills Section
Application Support resume: skills section checklist
- Scan the job advert for keywords worth including in your resume;
- List both hard and transferable skills;
- Leave room for discussion: include some of your skills in other sections of your resume;
- Focus on skills that prove your expertise and leave the irrelevant ones behind.
Top skills for your application support resume
Programming languages (e.g. Java, C++, Python)
Database management (e.g. SQL, Oracle)
Operating systems (e.g. Windows, Linux)
Networking protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, DNS)
Troubleshooting and problem-solving
Knowledge of software development methodologies (e.g. Agile, Scrum)
Version control (e.g. Git, SVN)
Scripting languages (e.g. Bash, PowerShell)
Virtualization technologies (e.g. VMware, Hyper-V)
Teamwork and collaboration
Time management and organization
Customer service orientation
Adaptability and flexibility
Attention to detail
Analytical and critical thinking
Leadership and management
Empathy and emotional intelligence
Don’t feel obliged to spend a separate section for your soft skills - you can weave them throughout your job experience or career summary. But, don’t just write empty words - back them with examples.
Application Support resume header: tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist: Writing a resume summary that makes you stand out
- Keep it short and use well-structured sentences;
- Mention your total years of experience in the field and your #1 achievement;
- Highlight your strengths and relevant skills;
- Add keywords from the company’s website or the job description.
Resume summary formula:
You’re not going to get hired simply because of a good summary or objective. However, your recruiter can bump you up in front of similarly experienced candidates who didn’t demonstrate such passion and drive.
How to write a Application Support resume
There are three basic resume formats you can choose from:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional resume format;
- Hybrid (or Combination) resume format;
The most optimal format for your particular case will depend on your years of experience, as well as whether you’re switching industries or not.
Reverse chronological resumes are best suited for experienced individuals who are sticking to their industry. The experience section takes a central place, and its bullets contain your responsibilities and achievements, coupled with numbers and results.
Functional resumes are used by less experienced jobseekers or career changers. Note that it’s not a format that recruiters prefer, as most are used to the classic chronological alignment. Instead of a list of job titles, functional resumes focus on your skills, and through what experiences you gained them.
Hybrid resumes are great for both experienced and entry-level candidates, as well as career changers. They combine the best of both worlds - most often in a double column format, where one side of the content is focused on your experience, whereas the other - on your skills, strengths, and proudest moments.
Here are some additional tips on perfecting your resume layout and style:
- Go for a traditional resume font sized 12p;
- Use standard 1-inch resume margins for increased readability;
- Make sure your resume fits on a one-page template. In case you’ve got 10 years of experience or more, your resume’s length can reach two pages;
- Avoid unwanted editing and plagiarism – save your resume as PDF before sending it to the recruiters.
Want to take it a step further? Learn how to make your resume stand out without relying too much on creativity.