According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Assistant IT Manager positions are at a 11% growth rate, which is faster than average. With that said, there are currently 482,000 jobs in the market right now. The total number of jobs is expected to increase by 52,700 to 534,700 in the period of 2020-30.
What’s more, the median annual wage for the Assistant IT Manager jobs was $151,150 in May 2020. The lowest 10% earned less than $90,430, and the highest 10% more than $208,000.
Our conclusion? The Assistant IT Manager job market is wide open for candidates.
Top assistant IT manager sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
How to craft the perfect Assistant IT Manager resume experience section
Perfecting the experience section: assistant IT manager resume checklist:
- Be careful with bullet points: use no more than 4-6 per position;
- Mention only positions that are relevant to the job you’re applying for;
- List your experience in chronological or reverse-chronological order;
- Highlight your results by using numbers – e.g. percentage increase/decrease in an important metric that’s followed by - your hard work;
- Use action words whenever possible… but more on that below.
Need examples? We looked through thousands of Assistant IT Manager resumes and gathered some examples of what the ideal experience section looks like. Check them out below!
- Monitoring computer and network operations at the property, backup/recovery functions are performed on scheduled basis and
administration functions for hardware, operating and application
systems are maintained and completed on consistent basis.
- Troubleshoot and repair technical problems or issues related to computer hardware and peripheral equipment.
- Respond to program error messages by finding and correcting problems or terminating the program. Provide technical guidance and
recommendations to resolve business problems.
- Refer major hardware/software problems or defective products to
vendors or technicians for service. Enter commands and activate
controls on computer and peripheral equipment to integrate and
- Maintain and upgrade hardware and software, including peripherals and website technical architecture related to hardware and
- Provides information to co-workers by telephone, in written form, email, or in person.
- Maintains inventories and manages IT hardware/software
- Reduced 25% of the forecasted spending by negotiating lump sum contracts with vendor.
- Assists in vendor management for property IT requirements,
functioning as escalation point for problem resolution.
- Monitoring computer and network operations at the property,
backup/recovery functions are performed on scheduled basis and
administration functions for hardware, operating and application
systems are maintained and completed on consistent basis.
- Monitor dailiy IT operatioknal issues
- Assembled and configured the hardware and software of over 150+ computers
- Trained around 100+ end users on the HIS system
- Managed over 100+ users roles and and rights in the HIS system
- Handled the change request during the entire implementation and tracked all of them through completion
- Project: Full deployment of "work from home" project during the Covid-19 pandemic (VPN, LogmeIn, Office 365, Teams, Intel V-Pro, OneDrive, etc)
- Project: Managed a team of experts and contractors to relocate 24x7x365 newspaper to new office with Zero downtime
- Project: Managed a globally-dispersed project team across 4 geos to successfully migrate the on-site Exchange Server to Office 365
- Project: Reduced the cost of running the data center by 50% by virtualising all physical servers using VMware, Hyper-V & Veeam
- Project: Win 2008 to Win 2019 migration including Active Directory
- Project: Planned and managed upgrading network PCs from Win7 to Win10
- Supervising IT Department on a daily basis and work as a team to ensure the system operations are intact.
- Maintaining a strong internal relationships with all departments to understand thier need and provide relevant solutions.
- Worked on Switches & Firewalls: Cisco Layer-3 Switches & ASA551
- • Planning , Defining the Scope , Time and Project Budget according to IT Infra enhancement project and business requirements• Manage the third party vendor management• Co-ordinate with third party vendor for Project Proposal and Quotations• Technical Support for AEON Financial System and SAP System for Operations Support
- Daily Monitoring the System Performance and Check lists for AFS Server / Exchange Server / AD Server / SAP Server
- Report to IT Director for every project progress update and any changes requirements
- Storage Logs Server Project
- SAP Router Server Project (Accounting & HR)
- Renovation Project (CCTV / PABX / Fiber Connection)
- Call Center Solution Project
Check the Assistant IT Manager job description for inspiration. Look for similarities between your employer’s values and your experience.
Action Verbs for Your Assistant IT Manager Resume
Impressing recruiters with a top assistant IT manager resume skills section
Checklist for an impressive Assistant IT Manager resume skills section:
- List both hard and technical skills that are important for the role;
- Check what the job description says and add some keywords based on that;
- Focus only on relevant skills;
- Try not to list things such as “communication”; rather, highlight your soft skills in other sections of your Assistant IT Manager resume.
Top skills for your assistant IT manager resume
Creativity and innovation
Eager to learn
When describing your experience, don’t go too far from its terminology. Recruiters use ATS systems to filter resumes based on them having certain keywords, so make sure you use at least a few keywords mentioned in the job description.
Assistant IT manager resume header: tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist for your assistant IT manager resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Some companies, states, and countries have non-discrimination policies about what kind of information can be included on your Assistant IT Manager resume. This might include a photo (which is often included in a resume header and might be on personal web pages you link to). You can always email the company’s HR department to ask about their policies before you apply.
Crafting a strong summary for your assistant IT manager resume
Checklist: The perfect Assistant IT Manager resume summary section
- Add a couple of keywords from the job description;
- Mention some of your most valuable skills and characteristics;
- Highlight your top achievements (and add numbers!);
- Use no more than 3-5 sentences to guarantee readability and keep - the hiring manager interested.
Resume summary formula:
Your summary section should act as a professional taster. Use it wisely. Effectively convey your professional profile and let the hiring manager know that if they hire you, they won’t be disappointed. Make sure to include keywords from the job description too! Elaborate on your abilities further in your experience section. Again, cater to the job description.
An impressive education section: assistant IT manager resume
Assistant IT manager resume: education section checklist
- Highlight your highest education degree;
- Include the degree subject, year of graduation, and institution name;
- Mention some of the awards you’ve received during your studies;
- List your certifications (incl. the body that’s issued them);
- Entry-level positions: Give preference to courses that are relevant to the position.
Top certifications for your Assistant IT Manager resume
IT Management Fundamentals - From IT Tech to IT Manager
The knowledge and expertise you need to know to become an IT manager and develop those skills
Risk Management for Cybersecurity and IT Managers
The management's guide to understanding Risk Management decisions in cybersecurity and information technology (IT)
IT Business Analyst & Project Managers Technical awareness.
A quick introduction to software development & IT for business analyst and non technical managers overseeing IT teams.
IT Project Manager Interview Success
Preparing for the IT Project Manager Interview
Recruitment: IT Basics for IT Recruiters
IT fundamentals for Recruiters in IT industry
There are dozens of certifications that you can claim as a Assistant IT Manager. But, some are more effective than others. That’s why you mustn’t include every certificate other applicants might have. Try instead to earn and list a few of the difficult ones.
The right format for your assistant IT manager resume
When it comes to formatting your Assistant IT Manager resume, there are certain things you need to keep in mind. These include your level of expertise, your total years of experience, and the position and company you’re applying for, to name a few.
You can choose between three basic resume formats:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional skills-based resume format;
- Combination (or Hybrid) resume format.
The reverse-chronological format is just that – all your experience listed in a reverse-chronological way. It’s great for experienced professionals who have been in the industry for many years and have no career gaps.
The functional skills-based resume, on the other hand, focuses on skills, education, and personality traits, rather than experience. This makes it great for graduates, people with less experience, or bigger career gaps. The idea is to show you’re the perfect match without putting too much emphasis on your lack of relevant experience.
If none of these sound suitable, go for a hybrid (or combination) resume. It’s a mix of experience, skills, and personality traits. It’s also considered modern and innovative because of its non-traditional structure and sections. Here, you can add details about what your typical day looks like or what your life philosophy is. In short, the hybrid resume format shows who you are, both as a professional and as an individual.
More tips on perfecting your resume style and layout:
- Choose a traditional 12p font;
- Make sure your resume margins are no bigger than an inch;
- Go for a one-page template. If you have broad experience and can’t fit your resume on one page, choose a two-page resume template
- Save your resume as PDF to avoid formatting issues and unauthorized editing.
Read this: Ways to make your Assistant IT Manager resume stand out
If you feel that you don’t have high chances in a particular company, due to lack of relevant experience, then you can still consider using a creative layout. That might help you get noticed and invited for an interview, as most of the other applicants will have boring resume designs.
More sections worth adding to your Assistant IT Manager resume
If the industry, company, and position you’re applying for allow for that, you could include other sections in your Assistant IT Manager resume. By doing this, you’ll show the recruiter that you’re a real human and not a robot.
Here are some ideas:
The right kind of creativity for your assistant IT manager resume
Several years ago, everyone preferred keeping a safe distance from creative resumes. Today, adding creativity to your CV is considered cool, innovative, and one of the best ways to stand out.
You can add a creative section that describes your typical day or even go for a colorful creative template. No matter what you choose, make sure to keep the position, company, and industry in mind. Otherwise, you risk looking silly.
What makes a great assistant IT manager resume: key takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.