According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Computer Technician positions are at a 11% growth rate, which is faster than average. With that said, there are currently 482,000 jobs in the market right now. The total number of jobs is expected to increase by 52,700 to 534,700 in the period of 2020-30.
What’s more, the median annual wage for the Computer Technician jobs was $151,150 in May 2020. The lowest 10% earned less than $90,430, and the highest 10% more than $208,000.
Our conclusion? The Computer Technician job market is wide open for candidates.
Top computer technician sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
What to write in your computer technician experience section
Perfecting your computer technician resume experience section:
- Focus on results, not responsibilities;
- Use 4-6 bullet points per position;
- List only positions that are relevant to what you’re applying for;
- Include at least some form of quantitative data – it can be linked to the number of people you’ve managed or the - percentage decrease in costs that’s followed from your work - you decide;
- Choose action verbs over buzzwords.
We’ve collected some of the top resume experience sections from real Enhancv users. Check them out when drafting your own Computer Technician resume!
- Computer maintance
- Customer support
- Information management operating Excel
- Install and configure pre-requisites to Electronic Voting Identification Unit.
- Network design, implementation and deployment
- Resolved technical problems with LAN, WAN and system
- Support and Troubleshooting Electronic Voting Identification Unit, Scanner of Ballot, Printer – Ballot.
- Performed as IT Supervisor on Election Day 2014
- Repairing both desktops and laptops, including: Troubleshooting both software and hardware issues, installing operating systems, removal of malware, system optimization, hardware replacement and/or repair.
- Completing system repairs on a deadline.
- Creating custom systems for sale.
- software and operating system installation/updates
- hardware upgrades
- general repairs
- custom PC assembly
- Sold New and Refurbished laptops and desktops
- Courteously answered incoming phone calls
- Installed and repaired computer software updates on computers
- Gave customer suggestions for purchase based off customer's needs
- Developed a strong and dedicated customer base due to a "fix it so it stays fixed" philosophy
- Saved the Town of Menno, SD from having to replace existing systems by upgrading, repairing, and securing their current systems
- Designed and launched a full multimedia website for a small local company that helped launch their product into national distribution
- Checking pc, laptop & projector.
- Installing software
- Ghosting the pc or laptop or server.
- Checking network ( Speks, 1Gov.net @ Streamyx)
- Checking system ( Speks, Espkb, E-terimaan, E-perolehan)
- Setup Printer & sharing it
- Format pc & laptop
- Event cameramen @ JPS Negeri Kelantan.
- PIC Data Akruan @ JPS Negeri Kelantan (Petugas)
- Commanded, oversaw, and trained soldiers in an Intelligence Surveillance Unit.
- Effectively delegated responsibility to others for completion of assigned duties.
- Responded to emergencies while multitasking and staying cool under pressure.
- Collaborated in cross-functional settings to monitor, upgrade and repair surveillance equipment worth over $1 million.
- Expertly utilized Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) in System Applications Products (SAP) to process, track and analyze data.
- Member of a two person support team responsible for the operation of NIPRNET and SIPRNET (classified and unclassified networks). Provided end-user support for 700 nodes /users.
- Developed method for auto-config of email profiles before MS built this into product. This dramatically cut support costs, and allowed for better staff mobility.
- Rapidly implemented method to access secure email from abroad to enhance communications for deployments resulting from Sept 11th 2001 attack.
- Direct supervision of the work and dealing with what may arise from problems.
- Dealing with insurance companies contracting with the center.
- Techsupport for the centers computer's (software and hardware).
- Data Base Administration with Oracle and SQL. In charge of three databases used for research groups around the world containing mainly data of magnetic resonance of almost 2000 pacients.
- Content management of the research group and its downloadable software.
- General TIC and software maintenance tasks.
- Worked with clusters helping and improving group colleague thesis progress.
- Helping developing specific plugin software.
Make sure to relate your experience to your job description, but never lie. That’s not tolerated and will show up in the face-to-face interview later on.
Action verbs for your computer technician resume
computer technician resume skills section to impress recruiters
Checklist for a perfect Computer Technician resume skills section:
- Make sure to include most if not all essential skills for the job;
- Check the job description and add some keywords to pass ATS;
- List both hard and technical skills;
- When it comes to soft skills – elaborate on them in other sections of your resume (e.g. the experience section).
Top skills for your computer technician resume
Mac OS X
Microsoft SQL Server
Creativity and innovation
Eager to learn
Avoid getting sidetracked by Applicant tracking software by including a tech skills' section matching the job description and your own qualifications.
Computer technician resume header: Tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist for your computer technician resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Some companies, states, and countries have policies about identifying information like photos on your Computer Technician resume. Be sure to check all the relevant rules before submitting yours. If you’re in doubt, you can always try contacting the company’s HR department to ask for their policy.
Writing an effective computer technician resume summary
Impressive computer technician resume summary checklist:
- Point out the achievements that make you a valuable applicant;
- Mention the total years of experience you have;
- Highlight the things you believe make you the best fit for the position;
- Keep it short: aim at having no more than 3-5 sentences.
Resume summary formula:
Highlight specific past projects that you’re most proud of in your summary. It sets an excellent tone for the rest of your resume. You can talk about all of your former jobs in your work experience section later on.
Drawing the attention to your computer technician resume education section
Crafting a job-winning education section.
- Use the reverse-chronological format when listing your degrees;
- Tailor the classes you’ve taken to the position you’re applying for if you’re an entry-level candidate;
- Mention the awards and honors you’ve received;
- Add your certifications (but only those relevant to the position).
Top Certifications for your Computer Technician Resume
Computer technician training for CompTIA A+ certification
Ideal if you want to become a computer tech and get the certification
Computer Literacy & Basic Computer Skills for Productivity
Enhance Productivity With This Basic Computer Course: An Introduction To Computers, Microsoft Windows, & the Apple Mac
IT/Desktop Computer Support- Troubleshooting for Technicians
Learn how to troubleshoot desktop computer issues as an IT Support Technician on real-world organisational networks.
Advance Laptop Motherboard Repair Course
Laptop Motherboard Technician | Laptop repair | Computer Hardware Technician | Chip level Repair | Computer technician
Laptop Repair: Learn How to Test Computer Components and ICs
Laptop repair course, PC Motherboard, computer hardware, Hardware Technician, IT, computer repair & Basic Electronics
If you hold a certain major and a minor, your majors should be mentioned first.
Choosing the best format for your computer technician resume
The content of your Computer Technician resume is what will get you hired, right?
But even when your content’s amazing and you’re a true over-achiever, recruiters might not think you’re a good fit if your resume looks messy or is not formatted the right way.
In general, there are three basic resume formats we advise you to stick with:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional skills-based resume format;
- Combination (or Hybrid) resume format.
Deciding which one to use depends on your experience, the industry, and the company. In short — you need to know what your applicant profile is.
For instance, reverse-chronological resumes are great for people with over 10 years of experience and no employment gaps. Here, you need to list all your relevant experience in a reverse-chronological format, starting from the most recent and going back to less recent positions.
Functional skills-based resumes, on the other hand, are great for entry-level applicants, graduate students, or people who have different kinds of experience. It focuses on skills, education, and character traits, rather than experience.
If none of these work for you, and you dream of adopting a more creative approach that makes a difference, the combination (or hybrid) resume format is exactly what you’re looking for. It allows you to focus on both your experience and your skills, making it a ‘best of both worlds’ format. It’s also suitable for those who want to spice things up by adding different creative sections (e.g. ‘life philosophy’ or ‘what my day looks like’).
Here are some additional tips on perfecting your resume layout and style:
- Go for a traditional resume font sized 12p;
- Use standard 1-inch resume margins for increased readability;
- Make sure your resume fits on a one-page template. In case you’ve got 10 years of experience or more, your resume’s length can reach two pages;
- Avoid unwanted editing and plagiarism – save your resume as PDF before sending it to the recruiters.
Want to take it a step further? Learn how to make your resume stand out without relying too much on creativity.
Test your draft Computer Technician resume by sending it out to peers and mentors in your circles. Ask them to review it as if they are hiring you for a project and implement the feedback afterwards.
Want to include something more to your computer technician resume?
So you’ve already listed details about your education, experience, and skills. You’ve also crafted an amazing summary.
But now you feel a creative urge to showcase your personality and not just your expertise.
We’ve got you! Thanks to our modern templates, you can now include a chart of what your typical day looks like or even a word or two about your life philosophy. All this without sacrificing your Computer Technician resume’s professional feel.
Some non-traditional sections for your resume include:
Making your computer technician resume stand out
You want to make a strong first impression to all recruiters that get a hold of your resume. Sure you do! But how?
Well, the easiest way to stand out is by adding a bit of creativity to your Computer Technician resume. You could do this by going for a colorful layout or adding a creative section or two. It all depends on the industry and the position you’re applying for!
For instance, a position in design would allow for a more colorful resume, while a position in finance would probably not.
What makes a great computer technician resume: Key takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.