According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Handyman positions are at a 8% growth rate, which is as fast as average. With that said, there are currently 1,444,100 jobs in the market right now. The total number of jobs is expected to increase by 117,000 to 1,561,100 in the period of 2020-30.
What’s more, the median annual wage for the Handyman jobs was $40,850 in May 2020. The lowest 10% earned less than $26,130, and the highest 10% more than $65,530.
Our conclusion? The Handyman job market is wide open for candidates.
Top handyman sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
Things to remember when writing your handyman experience section
Handyman experience section checklist:
- Keep it short: use no more than 4-6 bullet points per position;
- Go for short, easy-to-read sentences to keep recruiters engaged;
- Focus on relevant job experience that will enhance your application;
- Describe your experience using the C-A-R (challenge, action, result) methodology;
- Ditch buzzwords and go for power words instead.
To illustrate it more clearly, we’ve collected some of the best experience section examples from real Handyman resumes. Check them out below!
- Starting a bootstrap structure with 3 partnership
- Did Business Model and Portfolio in 1 month
- Close the first deal in 2 weeks
- Constantly managed deadlines on job sites to ensure completion of projects on or before the quoted time of completion
- Helped create partnerships with Blue Shield of CA via quality of work - leading to thousands of dollars for myself and the company
- Helped create a lasting and meaningful relationship with WestCord Commercial Real Estate via scope of work from myself and my partner, resulting in a wide variety of work for the company all across Southern California as that relationship still stands today
- Part-time role to help out property services officer with day to day task.
- Job includes shelving/sorting of record folders, moving and fixing furniture, changing of light bulbs and maintenance of printer rooms.
- Accompany trades people doing maintenance work in the building.
- Maintaining record of day to day task.
- Ensuring other fixtures and fittings are in good working order.
- Garden/landscape installation and maintenance.
- Maintaining property exterior.
- Perform safe and professional chauffeuring duties for: the hotel guests on their transport needs, drive staff for external meetings or conferences, hotel CEO around to/from meetings
- Perform valet duties for hotel guests/visitors
- Assisting guest with boarding and alighting of vehicle by opening of vehicle doors
- Adept at handling and driving a variety of luxury cars and familiar with Singapore roads
- Dispatch duties to Amara Hotel in Sentosa island
- Maintain/upkeep the overall cleanliness for the fleet of vehicles used
- Bell Boy duties
- Perform administrative duties such as franking mails, ordering cartridge for the franking machine and topping up the value of the franking machine
- Other potential engagements in other work areas within the Company
- Able to keep hotel and guest personal matters in confidence at all times
- Plasterboard fixing, tape&jointing, plastering and painting
- Cable installation - wiring
- Greet guests and gave a positive first impression of the establishment’s friendliness.
- Answer incomming call, took reservation
- prepared rooms: making beds, check bathrooms were cleanned.
- fix everything.
- Greet guests and gave a positive first impression of the establishment's friendliness.
- Answer incoming call, took reservation.
- Prepared room; making beds, check bathrooms were cleaned.
- Making maintenance .
- Installations, inspections, diagnosing faults, testing, replacement, repair and maintenance of building, fixtures and fittings
- General plumbing including washers, taps, general tiling (floors and walls) and general painting and decorating, basic electrical maintenance such as changing light bulbs, changing and cleaning HVAC filters, assisting in the setting up and dismantling of furniture and etc.
- Basic carpentry such as new locks, architrave, boxing in, assembling furniture, easing and adjusting windows, replacing handles and similar hardware like mailboxes and etc.
- Identifying hazards, defects and the need for adjustment or repair to ensure compliance with agreed codes, law, working practices and health and safety standards
- Carry out skilled DIY and general maintenance work involved in all aspects of Proekt42 maintenance, both internal and external of flats, private and company buildings and houses
- Maintaining the buildings, grounds, gardens and garage spaces
- Checking fire safety procedures, including ensuring fire alarms, emergency lights and extinguishers are correctly adhered to and maintained
- Identify, document and report maintenance and repair work and suggest additional repairs when identified and needed
- Greet residents, comunicate about issues and items to improve building.
- Assist with building inspections for Elevator, Fire Dept. ,Police Dept., Santiation Service.
- Accountable for inventory control of building supplies and equipment.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Performed multiple repairs and maintenance tasks throughout the day i.e. carpentrywork; electrical; plumbing; painting; HVAC; flooring; supervised ten employees foroutdoor landscaping; cleaning; and snow removal; general facility repairs
- Assisted and supervised responsibilities when superintendent was absent.
- Troubleshot and repaired faulty heating, air conditioning and ventilation systems.
- Worked frequently with mechanical and plumbing systems to complete knowledgeable inspections and skilled repairs.
- Maintained and tested pool temperature, PH, carbon, alkaline.
- Investigated 15/20 problems per week and managed effective solutions.
- Used problem-solving skills to alleviate issues efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Ensure maintenance duties are completed safely, efficiently, and effectively by following specified policies and procedures.
- Supervise all mechanical, electrical, and refrigeration element around the hotel and report any anomalies to the Maintenance Manager.
- Perform maintenance activities in the guest room like repairing all hardware and electrical equipment, including lamps, air conditioners / HVAC, and AC ducts.
- Monitor Fire Alarm / Life Safety System systems as necessary and handle emergencies involving the systems.
- Maintain maintenance inventory and requisition parts and supplies as needed.
- Make decisions about costs and priorities by documenting a full plan for work to be completed.
- Lead Handyman for a 6 story, 200-unit residential building in Boerum Hill, Brooklyn
- Daily inspection, monitoring and maintenance of all building systems including HVAC, electrical, security, cable/telecommunications, fire and safety, and plumbing
- Perform various repairs as needed, including routine building repairs, plumbing, electrical repairs on appliances, cabinetry, fixtures, switches, outlets, circuits, etc
- Efficiently manage and respond to all building work orders and tenant requests for repairs in a timely manner using our tenant maintenance request portal
- Direct experience in the diagnosis, monitoring, and maintenance of different in-apartment and overall building systems
- Conduct monthly inspections and testing of standpipes and sprinkler systems in accordance with FDNY guidelines
- Assist in the preparation of staff work and preventive maintenance schedules, daily rounds, as well as ordering supplies/materials and tools as necessary
In writing your Handyman resume, you will no doubt want to list your previous duties - as you should. But steer clear of just listing your duties, instead of your achievements. Make your resume stand out by communicating what you have done, and not merely what the job needed you to do.
Action verbs for your handyman resume
The Best Way to Write Your Handyman Resume’s Skills Section
Handyman resume: skills section checklist
- Scan the job advert for keywords worth including in your resume;
- List both hard and transferable skills;
- Leave room for discussion: include some of your skills in other sections of your resume;
- Focus on skills that prove your expertise and leave the irrelevant ones behind.
Top skills for your handyman resume
Don’t feel obliged to spend a separate section for your soft skills - you can weave them throughout your job experience or career summary. But, don’t just write empty words - back them with examples.
Handyman resume header: tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist for your handyman resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Some companies, states, and countries have policies about identifying information like photos on your Handyman resume. Be sure to check all the relevant rules before submitting yours. If you’re in doubt, you can always try contacting the company’s HR department to ask for their policy.
Writing a strong handyman resume summary
Handyman resume summary checklist:
- Mention your position and total years of experience in the field;
- Highlight 1-2 of your top achievements;
- Go for shorter sentences and keep them to the point – don’t include anything that doesn’t support your application;
- Add 2-4 keywords present in the job description.
Resume summary formula:
You’re not going to get hired simply because of a good summary or objective. However, your recruiter can bump you up in front of similarly experienced candidates who didn’t demonstrate such passion and drive.
Adding education, courses, and certifications to your handyman resume
Education section tips and tricks:
- Add info about your highest degree level, incl. year of graduation, place of study, and degree subject;
- Mention some education-related awards you’ve received;
- Share a bit more about your certifications (if they are relevant);
- Entry-level applicants: Tailor your education section by including classes that are relevant to the position you’re applying for.
Top Certifications for your Handyman Resume
Comprehensive Home Repair and Improvement
Everything you need to know to tackle nearly any home repair or improvement project yourself
Quote Like A Pro Estimating Guide For the Handyman
The Estimating Guide for Small Contractors
How to Install Carpet Tile and Vinyl Planking
Learn how you can save MONEY and have fun doing your own carpentry work yourself. You don't even need to be a handyman!
The Home Menders Complete Home Repair Specialist course
Master your domain
Mastering Floors "start at the bottom"
Ceramic, Vinyl Plank, Peel n stick, Laminate and more
There are dozens of certifications that you can claim as a Handyman. But, some are more effective than others. That’s why you mustn’t include every certificate other applicants might have. Try instead to earn and list a few of the difficult ones.
The best format for your handyman resume
Choosing the right format for your resume might seem difficult, regardless of whether you’re a newbie or a master. In short, there are three basic resume formats for you to choose from:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional skills-based resume format;
- Combination (or Hybrid) resume format.
The choice you make depends on your level of experience and the company you’re applying for.
The reverse-chronological resume format is great for you if you have at least 10 years of experience, no employment gaps, and are not looking for a career change. Here, you are expected to list all your previous jobs in a reverse-chronological format, starting from your most recent position and going back to the oldest one. It’s perfect for experienced individuals who are looking for a straightforward way to highlight their expertise.
The functional skills-based resume format, on the other hand, is great for recent graduates or professionals with large employment gaps. It focuses on skills and education, rather than experience. This makes it ideal for showing you’re the right fit without putting too much emphasis on your lack of (relevant) experience.
If you’re looking for something a bit more creative, go for the combination resume format. It’s a mix of the reverse-chronological and the functional skills-based formats, which makes it ideal for all types of applicants. What’s more, it’s considered modern and innovative, and isn’t this what you want your application to feel like anyway?
After choosing the right format for your Handyman resume, it’s time to perfect the layout and style.
- Go for traditional 1-inch resume margins;
- Choose a simple resume font, sized 10-12p;
- Make sure that the length of your resume matches your applicant profile: try to fit in a one-page template; two-page templateare suitable only for candidates with over 10 years of experience.
- Save your resume in PDF to avoid issues around formatting and unauthorized editing.
Looking for more ways to make your application stand out? Read this article!
Sometimes you’ll want to go after a job which requires more experience than you have. Instead of using a typical Handyman resume layout, you can use a creative layout. Getting noticed is the most important challenge and a creative resume layout might help you get invited for an interview as most of other accountants have boring resume designs.
Other sections to include in your resume
Depending on the type of company, your position, and your general desire to experiment and showcase your creative side, you might want to add some additional sections to your resume. Some examples include:
Creating a memorable handyman resume
You want your resume to put you in front of other candidates even when the competition is high, right? Right!
One of the easiest ways to do this is by adding a drop or two of creativity. You can choose a colorful and out-of-the-box template, or maybe even put a ‘what my typical days look like’ section at the bottom of your resume
It’s totally up to you. Just make sure to match the level of creativity to the industry, the position, and the company.
What makes a great handyman resume: key takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.