Top freelance project manager sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
Things to remember when writing your freelance project manager experience section
Freelance project manager experience section checklist:
- Keep it short: use no more than 4-6 bullet points per position;
- Go for short, easy-to-read sentences to keep recruiters engaged;
- Focus on relevant job experience that will enhance your application;
- Describe your experience using the C-A-R (challenge, action, result) methodology;
- Ditch buzzwords and go for power words instead.
To illustrate it more clearly, we’ve collected some of the best experience section examples from real Freelance Project Manager resumes. Check them out below!
- managed international urban development projects implemented by the European Union
- analyzed and visualized statistical data
- prepared grant application documents, feasibility studies, development strategies, financial plans, research plans etc.
- ensured smooth communication and cooperation between participating partners
- resigned from this job in order to move to the United States
- Facilitation of business needs definition workshops
- Feasibility study and impact on the existing process
- Drafting of specifications
- Evolutionary and corrective maintenance of business applications developed in PHP, Java and SQL, within a TMA team, directly with the business
- Multi-project follow-up - each project involving between 2 and 15 days of development
- Communication with non-technical contacts (legal; marketing & communication; accounting & finance)
- Repair of the production launch and execution of IT and non-regression tests
- Analyzes problems reported by the business
- Bug fixes
- Users support
- Publishers management
- Resource management on PHP and Java
- Responsable d'une équipe de 16 personnes (internes et prestataires)
- Initialisation (Scope assessment) : Workshops de Design Thinking (Epics, Features, UserStories), MoSCoW, T-Shirt sizing, Plan des releases, Roadmap de l'MVP, KPIs, ...
- Delivery et Iteration management : Staffing et formation des équipes, Sprint Zéro, Sprint planning, Daily meeting, raffinement, Sprint Review, Sprint retrospective, ...
- Monitoring et Contrôle : Prévention, redressement, audits et contrôles, Gestion des contraintes (Scope, budgets, plannings, qualité, risques, communications, ...)
- Formations/Coaching des PO, SM et DT : Agile, Spotify, Scrum, Kanban, XP, DevOps
- Integral part of Business Services, managing the delivery of projects from start up to completion in Finance, Procurement, Human Resources and Property.
- Effectively delivered high profile projects aimed at protecting National Grid’s critical infrastructure in the enterprise and operational environments- Successfully managed change and deployment into live security environments- Managed and mitigated risks and issues, budgets and profitability- Worked closely with senior client stakeholder
- Cadency SAP Implementation
- Enterprise Network Security:• Assigned as PM to help deliver multi-million pound project to improve National Grid’s Cyber Security Risk Management and Mitigation capability to combat cyber security threats• Managed delivery of 3rd Party Partners (WIPRO & Verizon)• Leveraged technical capability to bridge business and technical teams proving to be a key asset• Demonstrated strong Change and Key Stakeholder Management capability• Supported transition of service to BAURemovable Media Controls:• Managed Removable Media Controls proof of concept in the Electricity Operations Technology space to reduce the likelihood of cyber threats being introduced into NG’s operational environment• PRINCE2 Methodology• Demonstrations of strong budget management skills (£750K)• Risk and Issues Management• Strong rapport building skills with Operational staff• Implementation of Business Change activities See less
- Managed multiple cross functional teams and delivery of large scale enterprise projects for the client's loyalty and fee products line of business over the last seven years.
- Active participant in the product roadmap formulation of the client's digital loyalty and identity theft protection products.
- Key contributor in the technology side launch of various flagship projects like "Deals", "Make a Payment with Rewards", "Match", "5% Cashback Program", "Small Business Cards" etc, many of which are among the client's top ranking customer experience drivers.
- Played key role during the client’s transition from waterfall to scrum in 2013, scrum to SAFe in 2016 and subsequently SAFe to Product Engineering (XP) in 2020.
- Currently managing delivery and enhancements of one of the core domains of client's rapidly growing Identity Theft Protection solution.
- Played key role in the technology migration of the client's Android & iOS native mobile apps into a unified React Native platform, right from technology evaluation till production roll out. The migrated mobile app is one of the top rated credit card app in North America with 13 MM+ monthly active users and an app store rating of 4.8.
- Mentored multiple cross functional teams within the mobile application development portfolio on modern application development and delivery best practices and process improvements, resulting in 500+ manhours saved annually.
- Conducted periodic technology and process maturity assessments at individual, team and leadership levels.
- Played key role in transitioning the client's mobile application development teams from waterfall to scaled agile framework.
- Business processes Analisys and setting requirements with customers and business entities
- Planning and managing the project scope& budget
- Project Integration, including architecture, information security, development teams, QA and HD
- Writing functional and technical design documents, including WS (Soap/REST)
- Working with internal/external costumers and vendors
- Delivering 20+ projects of various types : IT solutions for medical equipment, Mobile app for Maccabi MD's, self service products (App/web) for Maccabi member's, medical Call center (Combined with Dynamics CRM 2011/365 applications) ext.
- Led a virtual organization of 70+ professionals distributed in 4 different countries
- Monitored and controlled yearly budget of 10M€
- Accountable for software development and delivery of Rail product portfolio
- Led a virtual organization of 50+ professionals distributed in 3 different countries
- Planned, optimized (design to cost), monitored and controlled yearly budget of 5.2M€
- Increased travel advertising revenue by 47% (6.5M€)
- Increased cross-sell conversion rate up to 3.4%
- Consistently delivered above 100% of the production target always
- Maintain all change order, submittal and document (drawing) control logs. Prepare required logs and other project documentation for construction meetings.
- Manage all aspects of project documentation including submittals, RFIs and project meeting minutes.
- Responsible for contract submittals that are accurate and timely.
- Responsible for creating and issuing the Subcontractors' contracts.
- Responsible for the assembly and timely delivery of the Owner and Maintenance Manuals.
- Ensure that the project quality control plan is in effect and followed.
- Represent company/project in meetings with client, subcontractors, etc.
- Cooperate with and technically assist field personnel assigned to area of responsibility.
- Technical interface with Commercial Operations, FRO, Requisition Engineering (for Manufacturing, Engineering, Compliance/Certification, Supply Chain), Logistic, -Installation, Commissioning and Project Management teams during Wind Farm construction phase.
- Execute the design, analysis, or evaluation of assigned projects using sound engineering principles and adhering to business standards, practices, procedures, and product / program requirements.
- Participate in the necessary project process
- es.Responsible for technical documentation/contractual deliverable during different phases of the pr
- Poject.Attend the site visits, collect required information and data, and then prepare site visit.
- Report.Manage the interface with other disciplines and EPC sub-contr
- Collaborate with other Renewables functions to determine root cause and define both corrective and preventive actions for turbine or fleet issues with time bound manner.
- Work closely engineering and third-party to perform site retrofit, Implementation of lesson learnt.Work with Engineering, EHS, suppliers and projects on regulatory compliance.-Participate in design reviews, Red Flag Review (RFR) and service hand-over process.-Manage the relationship with key contractors and suppliers during project execution phase.Develop innovative and creative approach to providing engineering solutions.-Maintain schedule and budget for the engineering works.-Manage quality customer relations; internal and external.-Prepare technical letters, manage clear and consistent communications for internal and external customers.
- Facilitated strategy process to create and implement a new talent strategy to retain DNBs high potentials and top performers
- Initiated a partnership with a start-up to develop and deliver a new strategic talent development program
- Worked towards group executive management to achieve stakeholder alignment, buy-in and obtain funding
- Was responsible for training DNBs 76 extraordinary talents in leadership, change management and complex problem solving
- Designed and co-hosted a workshop on servant leadership for DNBs top 100 directors and 200 key stakeholders
- Facilitated training in servant leadership for DNBs 150 IT leaders
- Facilitated Leadership Capability Labs with Deloitte in the areas of inspirational leadership, execution and competitive advantage
- Track and communicate team velocity and sprint/release progress
- Collaborate closely with product owner on backlog grooming to keep product backlog relevant and prioritized
- Facilitate scrum ceremonies (grooming, sprint planning, retrospectives, daily stand-ups)
- Identify & remove impediments to enhance team`s productivity
- Communicate with other management, engineers, product managers and support specialists on product issues
- Empower teams to self-organize and grow cross-functionality
- Developing a software product for websites, making them multifunctional for the needs of users.
- Providing custom hosting plans tailored to the database and the requested services.
- Analyzed scope of the project based on competitive analysis, interviews with customers, and customer feature requests.
- Worked with C-level suite to create vision and goals for project, and represented customers to ensure quick product adoption.
- Supervise, assign duties, and coordinate work schedules of information technology staﬀ and assist them in resolving issues.
- Identify resource requirements and manage budgets for resource allocation.
- Create, implement, and monitor detailed projects to ensure standards and deadlines are met.
- Customer service system development - more than 25 versions released
- Implementing the technical solution for the "Future postman" project - a solution developed for over than 1200 mobile postman.
- Integrated logistics solution customization for foreign partners (China Courier)
- Business customer self-service portal manosiuntos.post.lt solution implementation
- Implementation of the solution for informing customers about shipments via SMS
- implementation of corporate portal www.post.lt
- Document management information system Avilys was installed
- Generated business performance analysis reports using Microsoft reporting services
- Automated billing to tenants using the Itella service delivery solution
- Development of Navision system including debtors and supplier management modules
- www.geradovana.lt gift voucher sales portal was created and developed
- The project of selling gift vouchers of Akropolis shopping center was completed. The company became a distributor of gift certificates for the shopping center Akropolis
- Increased number of partners ~ 20%
- Attracted shopping centers "City of the Sun", "Panorama", "Europe"www.geradovana.lt Gift Voucher Distributors
- Delivered 1.8M dollar network transition project for Qantas/Jetstar across 29 airport sites onto one network. Cost Savings estimation of $500K per year.
- Run complex implementations independently, lead diverse teams and ensured maximum team outputs that led to successful migrations.
- Oversaw the Service Management integration from Jetstar to Qantas Service Desks for reporting incidents, change and capacity management processes.
- Demonstrated strong leadership and determination to get the job done during challenging situations and meet customer expectations.
- Work with Shell Oil HR Functions business team to understand their requirements and provide efficient and cost effective business IT solutions.
- Implemented UCC Telephony softphone solution at a site consisting of 2500 users to phase out PBX systems. Enabled cost reduction of 150K per year.
- Led the Wi-Fi transformation project at Kula Lumpur office for approximately 250 users.
- Provided UCC enabled contact centre/GIS solution and setup IVR for the HR Service Desk for emergency contact services across 15 countries.
- Agile Service Rollout- Successfully delivered project testing phase using agile framework that fostered quicker issue resolution and UAT completion.
- Led deployment projects for EMC SAN Storage and Backup Infrastructure solutions. Products included VNX, XIO, Isilon, VPLEX, Data Domain.
- Delivered a multi-million dollar IBM to EMC storage transformation and virtualization project for a major healthcare customer in Canada.
- Mentored and coached new joiners to develop their skills and knowledge for taking up projects.
- Gained good exposure on cloud computing and cloud service models.
Make sure to relate your experience to your job description, but never lie. That’s not tolerated and will show up in the face-to-face interview later on.
Action verbs for your freelance project manager resume
The Best Way to Write Your Freelance Project Manager Resume’s Skills Section
Freelance project manager resume: skills section checklist
- Scan the job advert for keywords worth including in your resume;
- List both hard and transferable skills;
- Leave room for discussion: include some of your skills in other sections of your resume;
- Focus on skills that prove your expertise and leave the irrelevant ones behind.
Top skills for your freelance project manager resume
Leadership and project management
Avoid getting sidetracked by Applicant tracking software by including a tech skills' section matching the job description and your own qualifications.
Freelance project manager resume header: tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist for your freelance project manager resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Some companies, states, and countries have policies about identifying information like photos on your Freelance Project Manager resume. Be sure to check all the relevant rules before submitting yours. If you’re in doubt, you can always try contacting the company’s HR department to ask for their policy.
Writing a strong freelance project manager resume summary
Freelance project manager resume summary checklist:
- Mention your position and total years of experience in the field;
- Highlight 1-2 of your top achievements;
- Go for shorter sentences and keep them to the point – don’t include anything that doesn’t support your application;
- Add 2-4 keywords present in the job description.
Resume summary formula:
You’re not going to get hired simply because of a good summary or objective. However, your recruiter can bump you up in front of similarly experienced candidates who didn’t demonstrate such passion and drive.
Adding education, courses, and certifications to your freelance project manager resume
Education section tips and tricks:
- Add info about your highest degree level, incl. year of graduation, place of study, and degree subject;
- Mention some education-related awards you’ve received;
- Share a bit more about your certifications (if they are relevant);
- Entry-level applicants: Tailor your education section by including classes that are relevant to the position you’re applying for.
Top certifications for your freelance project manager resume
The Project Management Course: Beginner to PROject Manager
The Complete Course for becoming a Successful Project Manager
10 Paths To Freedom: How Can I Work For Myself?
Learn How To Start a Freelance Business, and How To Use Personality Testing To Choose The Right Business For You
Freelancing on Upwork & Freelancer.com as a Beginner in 2022
Learn how to apply on projects, Win the jobs you want, Earn big on freelance websites such as Upwork and Freelancer.com.
The Freelance Masterclass: For Creatives
The Ultimate Guide to Freelancing: Learn to Price Projects, Build Portfolios, Find Clients, Brand Yourself & More!
Complete Guide to Freelancing in 2022: Zero to Mastery
Achieve freelance success on sites like Upwork or Fiverr. Start a home business or side hustle. No experience needed!
There are dozens of certifications that you can claim as a Freelance Project Manager. But, some are more effective than others. That’s why you mustn’t include every certificate other applicants might have. Try instead to earn and list a few of the difficult ones.
The best format for your freelance project manager resume
Choosing the right format for your resume might seem difficult, regardless of whether you’re a newbie or a master. In short, there are three basic resume formats for you to choose from:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional skills-based resume format;
- Combination (or Hybrid) resume format.
The choice you make depends on your level of experience and the company you’re applying for.
The reverse-chronological resume format is great for you if you have at least 10 years of experience, no employment gaps, and are not looking for a career change. Here, you are expected to list all your previous jobs in a reverse-chronological format, starting from your most recent position and going back to the oldest one. It’s perfect for experienced individuals who are looking for a straightforward way to highlight their expertise.
The functional skills-based resume format, on the other hand, is great for recent graduates or professionals with large employment gaps. It focuses on skills and education, rather than experience. This makes it ideal for showing you’re the right fit without putting too much emphasis on your lack of (relevant) experience.
If you’re looking for something a bit more creative, go for the combination resume format. It’s a mix of the reverse-chronological and the functional skills-based formats, which makes it ideal for all types of applicants. What’s more, it’s considered modern and innovative, and isn’t this what you want your application to feel like anyway?
After choosing the right format for your Freelance Project Manager resume, it’s time to perfect the layout and style.
- Go for traditional 1-inch resume margins;
- Choose a simple resume font, sized 10-12p;
- Make sure that the length of your resume matches your applicant profile: try to fit in a one-page template; two-page templateare suitable only for candidates with over 10 years of experience.
- Save your resume in PDF to avoid issues around formatting and unauthorized editing.
Looking for more ways to make your application stand out? Read this article!
Test your draft Freelance Project Manager resume by sending it out to peers and mentors in your circles. Ask them to review it as if they are hiring you for a project and implement the feedback afterwards.
Other sections to include in your resume
Depending on the type of company, your position, and your general desire to experiment and showcase your creative side, you might want to add some additional sections to your resume. Some examples include:
Creating a memorable freelance project manager resume
You want your resume to put you in front of other candidates even when the competition is high, right? Right!
One of the easiest ways to do this is by adding a drop or two of creativity. You can choose a colorful and out-of-the-box template, or maybe even put a ‘what my typical days look like’ section at the bottom of your resume
It’s totally up to you. Just make sure to match the level of creativity to the industry, the position, and the company.
What makes a great freelance project manager resume: key takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.