According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, IT and Software Engineering positions are at a much faster than average growth rate, which is 22%. With that said, there are currently 1,847,900 jobs in the market right now. The total number of jobs is expected to increase by 409,500 to 2,257,400 in the period of 2020-30.
What’s more, the median annual wage for the IT and Software Engineering jobs was $110,140 in May 2020. The lowest 10% earned less than $65,210, and the highest 10% more than $170,100.
Our conclusion? The IT and Software Engineering job market is facing competition due to decreasing demand.
Top software test engineer sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
Writing a job-winning experience section: Software Test Engineer resume edition
Software test engineer resume experience section: Dos and Don'ts
- List 4-6 bullet points per position;
- Include only relevant job experience;
- Make sure to highlight your strongest skills by focusing on the challenges you’ve faced and the results you’ve achieved;
- Don’t use buzzwords that carry no meaning;
- Don’t share confidential information about your previous employers.
If you prefer to be led by example, check out some great Software Test Engineer resume experience section snippets below!
- Software Engineer with 3.5 years of experience in Information Technology, with Specializing in Quality Assurance Testing, proficient in Web based application and Client/Server Application.
- Experience in all phases of Software Testing Life Cycle (STLC), Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), Bug Life Cycle & methods like Waterfall and Agile.
- Extensive experience in implementing QA Methodologies, Test Plans, Test Cases, Test Scenario and Test deliverable of various application.
- Experience in Functional testing, Integration testing, Regression testing, Black box testing, Graphical user interface (GUI) testing, UAT testing & Browser Compatibility testing.
- Expert in developing Java Selenium test Scripts and Test Framework using TestNG.
- Experienced on Testing Web Services like Online Screening & Customer OnBoarding Process using WSDL, SOAP UI Tools.
- Responsible to API testing using Postman.
- Documented the API testing using SuperTest.
- Responsible for Test cases generation, Test cases review, Test cases execution(Using Testrail), bug reporting(Jira), Regression Testing.
- End to end Testing of Software applications
- Responsible for defect management
- Coordinating with development team and responsible for the quality of the deliverables
- QA Lead and Scrum master
- Sharpened and gained leadership skills by successfully leading a team of 18 testers tasked with the following responsibilities:
- Writing test specifications, test cases and automation scripts.
- Ensuring the smooth running of automated test tools, compile and report results.
- Performing detailed analysis of test results and update test cases/scripts accordingly.
- Enhanced my problem-solving skills through narrowing down problems to component module based on detailed analysis of test runs.
- Setting up complex hardware configurations, network technologies, OS and applications.
- Providing bug prevention and/or proactive testing through product specification reviews.
- Performing repeatable testing procedures and processes, with excellent opportunity to demonstrate ad-hoc testing skills. Evaluates and reports test results.
- Create, execute, improve and maintain automated UI tests for Andriod and IOS platform
- Continuously look for ways to improves and evolve QA processes
- Collaborate with other cross-functional team members to support intent refinement and solution design
- Development and test automation of backend services (On premises & AWS based) which supports Mobile Application
- UI test Automation for all app journeys and validation of respective screens with Espresso and XCUITest
- RestAPI Automation with RestAssured and Karate Framework
- Creating and Maintaining Test Approaches for Mobile and Services
- Worked on test coding standards and best practices for code quality and faster test execution
- Set up test standards to ensure application scalability, reliability, consistency and performance
- Researching test tools methodologies and trends and upgrading existing practices and processes
- Investigation of the user stories, preparation test scenarios & test cases using Test-Rail tool.
- Attended sprint planning, daily stand ups & sprint retrospective sessions.
- Conducted different kind of testing on mobile devices and website.
- Executed regression, functional test cases in each testing cycle.
- Accomplished regression test case review and streamline.
- Software Test Engineer of more than 3 years of experience in Telecom and Cloud storage domain.
- Gathered Test Data for the test cases.
- Verified API's request and responses based on functional requirement.
- Worked on integration, system, compatibility, end to end testing.
- Working experience as an ETL Tester in Wipro HR Services.
- Worked on UNIX Commands/hive/Impala/SPARK SQLin Wipro.
- Proficient with Data Quality, Migrations, Scheduling and Warehousingactivities with an exposure in ETL Process.
- Hands-on experience of testing and analysis of BI reports generatedusing BI tools like Tableau and Cognos reporting.
- Handled Data Validations, Quality Check from Source to Target.
- Worked on JIRA as Bugs Tracking System in Wipro.
- Excellent Communication, Interpersonal Skills. Quick Learner,versatile, adaptable and process-oriented with high customerorientation.
- Working experience on Insurance Domain in NIIT Technologies Ltd
- Worked on Microsoft SQL server for 2 years in NIIT Technologies Ltd.
- Worked on ETL testing at NIIT Technologies Ltd.
- Worked on SAP BO Testing.
- Well versed with Test Documentation (Test Scenario, Test Case, TestData, Defect Report, and TestMetrics)
- Working experience in regression testing, End-to-end testing, Smokeand Ad-hoc Testing and co
- Working experience on HP Quality Center (QC) ALM Test and Defectmanagement tool in NIITTechnologies.
- Expertise in Bug Reporting & Tracking Process
- Excellent Communication, Interpersonal Skills. Quick Learner,versatile, adaptable and processoriented with high customer orientation.
- Deeper understanding of the requirements of an application
- Preparing Test Scenarios, Test Cases and Test data based on the requirements
- Performing Smoke, Functional, Integration, System and Compatibility Testing
- Performing Regression testing after each new build of an application
- Logging defects using Bug tracking tools
- Preparing and sending testing reports
- Involving in reviewing test cases
- Involving in daily scrum meetings and giving the consolidated status for QA team
- Involving in Sprint planning meeting and release retrospective meeting
- Actively collaborating with the developers to clarify the testability, consistency and completeness of the software
- Worked closely on 2 projects with development team to write test plans for quality assurance.
- Added more than 50 new test cases to the test plan.
- Reduced by 80% the total amount of time spent to execute the full regression tests by organizing and automating the test cases.
- Designing, reviewing and executing test procedures and scripts
- Tracking and reporting test execution in a timely manner with attention given to achieving a high level of quality and meeting the deadlines
- Gathering and documenting the outcome of test execution and all information needed to support ongoing measurements and report on risks, defects, tests and coverage
- Analyzing and comparing system behavior vs. expected results/KPIs based on business and technical requirements
- Identifing bugs, solution gaps, proposing system improvements and performing repetitive test execution to resolve identified issues
- Conducting customer demos
- Participating in transformation projects - executing migration, post validation and reconciliation scripts and building reports
- Efficiently integrated into a remote team with minimal supervision and training in less than two weeks
- Reduced test maintenance and results analysis time by designing and integrating a test compatibility matrix database
- Designed a code coverage regression detection tool as part of an automated code quality verification workflow on Jenkins
- Ported the 56000-line in-house test framework from Python 2 to 3
- Collaborated with Customer Support to identify reproduction steps of elusive customer-reported issues and engineered workarounds for them
- Increased team velocity by enabling testers to test unmerged code via parameterised Jenkins jobs
- Assisted in the page object model redesign of the automated test suite; Technologies used: Python, Appium
- Supervised team of 8 testers.
- Wrote and optimized test cases to maximize success of manual software testing with consistent, thorough approaches.
- Evaluated function, performance and design compliance of every product against design standards and customer needs.
- Debugged code and located root causes of problems by reviewing configuration files and logs.
- Collaborated with developers and product owners to stay current on product features and intended functionality.
- Created accurate and efficient test scripts in Java to manage automated testing of certain products and features.
- Identified and tracked defects with Jira, VSO and supported developers in resolving problems by completing additional tests.
- Tracked, prioritized and organized defects and worked with development team to facilitate timely corrections.
- Authored and maintained well-organized, efficient and successful manual test cases for entire team.
- Converted more than 1000 manual test-cases into an automated test which reduced 60% of manual effort
- Created an automation sanity test to run before every deployment to reduce the testing time by 50%
- Increased unit-test code coverage on an existing project by 25%
- Reduced delivery time to 1 day from a week-long process.
- Worked with an agile team of 6 members and provided end-to-end solutions for clients
- Reduced the total amount of time to execute automated test in 60% by implementing multi-threading execution
- Worked closely on 5 mobile application projects with the development team to write test plans for quality assurance
- Provided input in Designing High-Level Design (HLD), Business Requirement Documents (BRDs), and maintain traceability of HLD to BRD.
- Worked closely with developers and business analyst to implement and test the business rules in Fundtech GPP-Mass-pay.
- Performed the integration testing for SEPA (DD and CT) payments from their scheduling to settlement.
- Helping the developers and testing team to set up the UNIX based test environment.
- Recording defects utilizing defect tracking tool with priority and severity and alert the management
- Worked with test team to create a Hybrid Automation Framework using Cucumber and Selenium to reduce test execution time to 90%.
- Maintained detailed test logs and report test results in HP ALM.
- Ensuring smooth implementation of projects, by overseeing the UAT and industrial (live) testing.
- Working with the Scrum Master to increase velocity by 12%.
- Creating and executing automation test scripts and test frameworks using Java Selenium libraries.
- Working with the development and business teams to understand the user stories and write test scripts in Java using the Selenium libraries.
- Understanding the features and writing user stories in the form of feature file following the Behavioral Driven Development model (BDD).
- Create and execute selenium java scripts into the cloud environment to identify potential issues with the website.
- Migrating the current consumer site and mobile site to AWS.
- Analyzing the business models and suggesting innovative solutions to increase revenues.
- Assessed software bugs and compiled findings along with resolution techniques in documentation
- Wrote and optimized test cases to maximize success of manual software testing with consistent, thorough approaches.
- Tracked, prioritised and organised defects with JIRA , working with development team to facilitate timely corrections
- Operated under Agile and Scrum frameworks to complete releases every two weeks and well-organised sprints
- Created accurate and efficient test scripts in Test Rail to manage automated testing of certain products and features
- Completed in-depth usability testing on Windows, Android and iOS mobile devices
- Gathered data on integration issues and vulnerabilities and reported all findings, including improvement recommendations
- Collaborated with developers and product owners to stay current on product features and intended functionality.Effectively interacted with different application teams regarding software defects to find the root cause and fix major issue
- Performed functional testing, usability testing, regression testing and accessibility test tests on modules and full software implementations for multiple projects
- Performing unit , integration , system , and user acceptance testing on projects of varied domains.
- Performing Smoke testing, Sanity testing, Compatibility testing, Ad-hoc testing and Regression testing.
- Mobile and web based testing.
- Writing and executing Test Case Design , Feature list and Testscenarios.
- Effectively using Bug tracking tools.
The person reading your Software Test Engineer resume will be busy, make sure you never waste their time with fluff.
Action verbs for your software test engineer resume
An impressive skills section for your software test engineer resume
Writing a skills section that stands out:
- Check the job advert for keywords that you can use: this will help you pass ATS;
- Focus on relevant and valuable skills that will support your application;
- Make sure to include both hard and technical skills, leaving soft skills for other sections of your Software Test Engineer resume;
- Don’t list skills you don’t have.
Top skills for your software test engineer resume
Teamwork and communication
Creative problem solving
Owning up to errors
Add a Talent Section to your resume, where you can pick your top 3 soft skills and describe how you used them to complete a project or balance departmental communication.
Software test engineer resume header: tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist for your software test engineer resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Include a link to your portfolio in your Software Test Engineer resume header. Most companies will require that you include one in your resume, and even if they don’t, it’s an excellent opportunity to directly show them your proudest projects.
The software test engineer resume summary: tips and tricks
Making a strong first impression.
- Keep your summary section short and easy to read; avoid long sentences;
- Highlight your total years of experience in the field;
- Mention 1-2 of your biggest achievements and strengths;
- Add a couple of keywords from the job advert.
Resume summary formula:
Your summary section should act as a brief but informative introduction to your experience section. In this section you should go into more depth about what you have done, and how you did it.
Software Test Engineer Resume: A strong education section
What to include in your education section:
- Your highest education degree (incl. major, duration, name of institution);
- A bit more about the certifications you’ve got (if they are relevant to what you’re applying for);
- Some extracurricular activities that have helped you develop and strengthen your skills;
- If you’re an entry-level applicant: Relevant courses and projects.
Top Certifications for Your Software Test Engineer Resume
Software Testing Masterclass (2022) - From Novice to Expert
Learn software testing and become QA Engineer/Agile Tester. Mobile/Backend/Web/QA testing. JIRA, TestRail & much more!
The Complete 2022 Software Testing Bootcamp
Everything you need to learn about software testing.
Quality Assurance Mastery - Manual Software Testing
Become Quality Assurance Engineer as a Complete Beginner. QA Masterclass for Junior QA Engineers.
Software Testing Interview Masterclass: Ace the QA interview
The Ultimate Software Testing Interview Course. Get a job as a software tester, QA, Manual QA, Quality Analyst, Engineer
SOFTWARE TESTING MASTERCLASS-2022-JIRA | AGILE | API Testing
Be a Manual Testing Expert with Database & Mobile Testing, Linux, Postman with Realtime Quality Assurance/QA questions
There are dozens of certifications that you can claim as a Software Test Engineer. But, some are more effective than others. That’s why you mustn’t include every certificate other applicants might have. Try instead to earn and list a few of the difficult ones.
Software test engineer resume: How to choose the right format
The content of your resume is necessary for showcasing your expertise, skills, and education. Great formatting, on the other hand, is essential for highlighting your attention to detail, creativity, and ability to stand out.
There are three basic resume formats to choose from:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional skills-based resume format;
- Combination (or Hybrid) resume format.
Which one of these you choose depends on a couple of things, but most importantly: the industry and your level of experience.
The reverse-chronological resume format, for example, is great if you’re a Software Test Engineer with many years of experience and no career gaps. It doesn’t really matter if your company of choice is a multinational corporation or an early-stage startup – this resume format is considered to be a safe bet.
If you’re someone with little or no experience, however, we advise you to go for a functional skills-based resume format. It focuses on skills, competencies, and education, rather than experience. This makes it great for entry-level applicants, career changers, and graduate students.
And if you’re tired of traditional formats and want to go over the top when it comes to your application, the combination or hybrid resume format is here to help. Here, you can focus on both your experience and your skills, there’s even space for you to highlight your most spectacular personality traits. If you want to give a modern feel to your Software Test Engineer resume, this resume format is just what you need. Add a ‘my life philosophy’ section for additional bonus points!
Looking for ways to perfect your Software Test Engineer resume layout and style?
- Don’t risk it: choose standard 1-inch resume margins;
- Go for traditional resume fonts (sized 10-12p);
- Match the length of your Software Test Engineer resume with your years of experience – choose a one-page template if you’ve got less than 10 years of experience; otherwise, opt for a two-page resume;
- To be on the safe side, save your resume in PDF. This will help you avoid formatting issues and unauthorized editing.
Test your draft Software Test Engineer resume by sending it out to peers and mentors in your circles. Ask them to review it as if they are hiring you for a project and implement the feedback afterwards.
Your software test engineer resume: Other sections to include
Tired of resumes that focus only on your professional side? Want to show you’re an actual human being with a real personality that goes beyond your work experience? Then add some other sections to your Software Test Engineer resume!
Depending on the industry, company, and position, you can go for a more creative or less creative approach. Choose 1-2 of the following:
Making your software test engineer resume shine
In a pile of boring black and white resumes, a creative Software Test Engineer application feels like a breath of fresh air. And trust us, recruiters love this.
There are two ways to add a splash of creativity to your resume. You can either go for a creative layout (bright colors, modern fonts, etc.) or add some creative sections (e.g. ‘what my typical day looks like’).
It’s up to you! Just make sure to keep the position, company, and industry in mind. Otherwise, you risk going over the top. And that’s not always a good idea.
What makes a great software test engineer resume: key takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.