According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Professor positions are at a 12% growth rate, which is faster than average. With that said, there are currently 1,276,900 jobs in the market right now. The total number of jobs is expected to increase by 156,700 to 1,433,600 in the period of 2020-30.
What’s more, the median annual wage for the Professor jobs was $80,560 in May 2020. The lowest 10% earned less than $40,830, and the highest 10% more than $179,540.
Our conclusion? The Professor job market is wide open for candidates.
Top professor sections that make the best resume
- Professional summary
- Experience (with numbers and results)
- Relevant skills
Things to remember when writing your Professor experience section
Professor Experience Section Checklist:
- Keep it short: use no more than 4-6 bullet points per position;
- Go for short, easy-to-read sentences to keep recruiters engaged;
- Focus on relevant job experience that will enhance your application;
- Describe your experience using the C-A-R (challenge, action, result) methodology;
- Ditch buzzwords and go for power words instead.
To illustrate it more clearly, we’ve collected some of the best experience section examples from real Professor resumes. Check them out below!
- Balanced operational experience and doctrinal knowledge to integrate instruction from a real-world leader’s perspective
- Developed new curriculum and expanded on existing curriculum to ensure leading-edge thinking and integration with doctrinal changes
- Proactively collaborated diverse ideas across all departments to develop organizational leadership as a process that engages leaders
- Represents the university and the department of many national and international forums including conferences, symposiums, workshops, ministries meetings, discussions etc
- Became mentor in ministries` program for students practices. Find a job for 34 students - biggest rate in the university.
- Mentored 30+ master`s works in the field of Noise protection, Highway designing, Asphalt pavements, Financial analization and management 2 of them won the First prize in department`s annual contest
- Teaching content courses in English including academic skills (presentations, essay writing, reading skills ) and creative electives (Introduction to Creative Writing, Introduction to Acting).
- Have received student evaluations over 90% every semester.
- Served as chair/co-chair of the extracurricular events committee for more than 7 years, founding the Hanyang English Film Festival
- Served as an Academic Advisor to undergraduates
- Served on Curriculum (Chair), Self-Design Major and Faculty Load Committees
- Faculty Representative to the Board of Trustees (2008-2009)
- Launched and led national model for Low Impact Development Training and Certification.
- Nationally recognized speaker, subject matter expert and facilitator across the state and country as it pertained to stormwater management and environmental sustainability.
- Organized and led interdisciplinary project teams to effectively implemented and measured the effectiveness of research experiments.
- Preparation of concept notes and project proposals
- Budgeting, monitoring and evaluation of approved projects within the CS/IT department portfolio
- Supervision of Masters as well as Bachelors level students
- Teaching Distributed Systems at Masters Level while Discrete Structures and Computer Organization and Assembly Language at undergrad level
- Outstanding analytical and problem solving skill with the ability to provide effective solution.
- Extremely well organized and detailed oriented.
- Strong leadership and motivating skills including the ability to build solid relationships with staff.
- Adhering at all times to the strictest interpretation of all relevant Codes of Practice and Professional Conduct.
- Ability to think quickly, work in stressful circumstances, never get flustered and stay calm in emergencies.
- Designed and implemented an innovative training initiative for scientists and engineers in the Americas that provide policy, diplomacy, communication, leadership and cross-cultural skills to become agents of change and broaden their societal contributions
- Led the first-ever ASU Faculty Delegation to Cuba
- Represented ASU in Washington D.C. and negotiated international academic partnerships with foreign delegations
- Drove the Marketing innitiatives for the entire group.
- Marketing Department Faculty at Atharva Institute of Management Studies.
- Course head for Advertising, Event Management & P.R at Atharva School of Business.
- Head Sponsorship & Marketing at Indian Princess Organisation.
- Standardize Branding & Marketing initiatives of the group.
- Devised and started Event Management course and successfully running the course since three years.
- Set up the Marketing & Sponsorship Department for the group
- Along with planning and giving direction, managed to achieve the objectives as planned and laid down.
- Ensured sponsorship from major brands/companies.
- Assistant Professor at Pompeu Fabra University of Barcelona (UPF), teaching a seminar about "Information, Media and Internet in China" as part of a Master in Chinese Studies.
- Imparted conferences about the same topic in another three universities.
- Author of a university paper about censorship, control of information and the important transformations the Internet has brought to China, published by Autonomous University of Barcelona. http://goo.gl/8h3VDh
- Conduct assigned undergraduate and graduate courses and seminars.
- Academic advisor for students
- Engage in scholarly activities, and/or creative endeavours which contribute to the academic mission of the University.
- Participate in University Research Projects etc
- Conducted the subject lectures regularly, keeping an eye on the understanding of the students.
- Carried out practical sessions with the explanation about the purpose of the experiment and the procedures that follow to seek results.
- Carried out debate sessions in regular classes to help students to understand the subject betterArranged expert meets for students on a periodic basis to create an interest in the subject
- Teaching the theoretical area of the legal department teaching the following courses and training modules about Criminal Justice and Policing-
- General principles of Criminal Law. Concepts of criume and lack. Degree of crimes execution. Person criminally responsible. Degrees of participation. Causes amending the criminal responsability.
- Ethics: basic principles, personal and direct responsability of Police Officrs versus subsidiary management responsibility. Main police systems.
- Introduction of Criminology: Criminology as Science.
Show off real numbers that display your accomplishments in past roles. Instead of listing out your responsibilities as Professor, talk about the measurable impact you made to their business. Did you boost their revenue? Increase customer retention? Mention your proudest points on your resume.
Action verbs for your professor resume
The Best Way to Write Your Professor Resume’s Skills Section
Professor Resume: Skills Section Checklist
- Scan the job advert for keywords worth including in your resume;
- List both hard and transferable skills;
- Leave room for discussion: include some of your skills in other sections of your resume;
- Focus on skills that prove your expertise and leave the irrelevant ones behind.
Top skills for your professor resume
Mentoring and coaching
Avoid getting sidetracked by Applicant tracking software by including a tech skills' section matching the job description and your own qualifications.
Professor resume header: tips, red flags, and best practices
Checklist for your professor resume header
- Your name and surname in a legible and larger resume font
- The job title you’re applying for or your current job title as a subheading to your name
- Link to your portfolio or online profile, such as LinkedIn
- Address (City and State for the US; just your city for rest of the world)
- Email address
- Headshot (required or welcomed in the EU; not required and sometimes frowned upon in the US)
Stick to popular email providers such as Gmail or Outlook. And use these professional formats to create your username:
Some companies, states, and countries have non-discrimination policies about what kind of information can be included on your Professor resume. This might include a photo (which is often included in a resume header and might be on personal web pages you link to). You can always email the company’s HR department to ask about their policies before you apply.
Writing a strong professor resume summary
Professor Resume Summary Checklist:
- Mention your position and total years of experience in the field;
- Highlight 1-2 of your top achievements;
- Go for shorter sentences and keep them to the point – don’t include anything that doesn’t support your application;
- Add 2-4 keywords present in the job description.
Resume summary formula:
Include a link to your portfolio in your resume header. Most companies will require that you include one in your resume, and even if they don’t, it’s an excellent opportunity to directly show them your proudest projects.
Adding education, courses, and certifications to your professor resume
Education section tips and tricks:
- Add info about your highest degree level, incl. year of graduation, place of study, and degree subject;
- Mention some education-related awards you’ve received;
- Share a bit more about your certifications (if they are relevant);
- Entry-level applicants: Tailor your education section by including classes that are relevant to the position you’re applying for.
Top certifications for your professor resume
Como VOCÊ Pode Se Tornar Um Professor Universitário
Aprenda como você pode atuar como Professor Universitário em cursos de Pós e Graduação sem deixar seu emprego ou empresa
Seja um professor virtual
Desenvolva as competências essenciais para engajar seus alunos na aprendizagem colaborativa online
Agilidade Emocional para Professores
Curso prático e vivencial
Empreendedorismo Digital para Professores e Educadores
Transforme seu conhecimento e sua paixão pelo ensino em fonte de renda: ensine e ganhe dinheiro online!
Metodologias Ativas para Professores Inovadores
Impulsione as competências para o futuro através das metodologias ativas de aprendizagem
If you hold a certain major and a minor, your majors should be mentioned first.
The best format for your professor resume
Choosing the right format for your resume might seem difficult, regardless of whether you’re a newbie or a master. In short, there are three basic resume formats for you to choose from:
- Reverse-chronological resume format;
- Functional skills-based resume format;
- Combination (or Hybrid) resume format.
The choice you make depends on your level of experience and the company you’re applying for.
The reverse-chronological resume format is great for you if you have at least 10 years of experience, no employment gaps, and are not looking for a career change. Here, you are expected to list all your previous jobs in a reverse-chronological format, starting from your most recent position and going back to the oldest one. It’s perfect for experienced individuals who are looking for a straightforward way to highlight their expertise.
The functional skills-based resume format, on the other hand, is great for recent graduates or professionals with large employment gaps. It focuses on skills and education, rather than experience. This makes it ideal for showing you’re the right fit without putting too much emphasis on your lack of (relevant) experience.
If you’re looking for something a bit more creative, go for the combination resume format. It’s a mix of the reverse-chronological and the functional skills-based formats, which makes it ideal for all types of applicants. What’s more, it’s considered modern and innovative, and isn’t this what you want your application to feel like anyway?
After choosing the right format for your Professor resume, it’s time to perfect the layout and style.
- Go for traditional 1-inch resume margins;
- Choose a simple resume font, sized 10-12p;
- Make sure that the length of your resume matches your applicant profile: try to fit in a one-page template; two-page templateare suitable only for candidates with over 10 years of experience.
- Save your resume in PDF to avoid issues around formatting and unauthorized editing.
Looking for more ways to make your application stand out? Read this article!
If you feel that you don’t have high chances in a particular company, due to lack of relevant experience, then you can still consider using a creative layout. That might help you get noticed and invited for an interview, as most of the other applicants will have boring resume designs.
Other sections to include in your resume
Depending on the type of company, your position, and your general desire to experiment and showcase your creative side, you might want to add some additional sections to your resume. Some examples include:
Creating a memorable professor resume
You want your resume to put you in front of other candidates even when the competition is high, right? Right!
One of the easiest ways to do this is by adding a drop or two of creativity. You can choose a colorful and out-of-the-box template, or maybe even put a ‘what my typical days look like’ section at the bottom of your resume
It’s totally up to you. Just make sure to match the level of creativity to the industry, the position, and the company.
What makes a great professor resume: key takeaways
- Choose a resume layout that sends the right message across and fits your current career situation;
- Create a resume header that shows your desired job title, and easy to find contact numbers;
- Be specific about your experience, accomplishments and future goals in your summary;
- Feature detailed metrics and specific examples that show the impact you made in your previous roles when describing your experience;
- List soft skills backed by examples;
- Add all of your technical skills and certifications that you have and match the job description;
- Show off a dash of personality in your resume that will demonstrate your culture fit and the right mix of hard and soft skills.