What are remote skills?
Remote work has been on the rise for over a decade, but the last two years transformed the workplace, and almost everyone had to work from home. These changes have a lasting impact.
More than 60% of the world's workforce doesn't want to return to the office full-time. People want more flexibility, and companies are willing to provide it. 74% of U.S. companies are using or planning to implement a permanent hybrid work model and flexible hours.
To thrive in a work-from-home-office environment, employees need to present different skills to do so.
Remote skills are a set of abilities that show that a candidate can manage their time and responsibilities to do their work efficiently and responsibly, without daily supervision. Some important skills required for remote work include being a self-starter who is accountable, disciplined, and an organized problem-solver. Punctuality, adaptability, effective communication, and strong time-management skills are also essential to remote work.
Why remote work skills are important on your resume
Hiring managers and HR professionals are starting to define which remote work skills are most important and identify them during the hiring process. More and more job postings are for hybrid or remote positions.
For employees, this means upskilling to acquire critical remote working skills to stay relevant and to get ahead in their careers.
When you apply for a hybrid or remote position, you should have in mind to enhance the skills that will demonstrate to the hiring managers that you are dependable and responsible in your remote job.
There are some skills that recruiters are looking for in a resume to ensure that the candidate can thrive in a hybrid work environment.
What skills, activities, and accomplishments help you highlight your remote skills?
We created a list of essential skills for remote/hybrid work to demonstrate in your resume:
- Organizing and planning are critical skills to have when working from home. Demonstrate on your resume that you can maintain discipline through constant organizing, planning, and scheduling to ensure all of your work gets finished on time.
- Communication in a remote work setting is essential. Every message, email, and call has to be clear and informative to improve productivity and save everyone’s time. You have to demonstrate strong communication skills and digital literacy on your resume.
- Self-motivation in remote working is important to get things done without the need to be monitored. Showcase on your resume that you can make a schedule, set your own goals, estimate timelines, and achieve goals promptly.
- Collaboration in a remote setting is challenging but manageable. Demonstrate your collaborative skills by giving examples of successfully building trustworthy relationships with remote and onsite teams.
- Adaptability for remote workers is essential to manage the constantly changing environment. Show that you are comfortable working with different teams, adapting to new technologies and tools, and keeping an optimum work-life balance.
- Problem-solving is one of the sought-after skills every employee should have, especially those working remotely. You have to show on your resume that you are comfortable managing problems and coming up with solutions.