Professional Public Affairs Resume Examples & Guide for 2020
8 minute read
Updated on 2020-01-30
Public affairs can be a competitive field. Don't make the job search journey harder than it has to be.
If your resume doesn't stand out, you probably won't get many call backs. The good news is, we have all the tips + tricks for creating a well-written public affairs resume.
You are about to make a career change? Then go through our 10 Career Change Resume Tips (with examples) and see what you’re missing out.
How to talk about your experience on Public Affairs resume
Public AffairsOpen Gate Italia
Here’s what a recruiter is looking for in a Public Affairs resume
- The right resume sections: Don't underestimate the importance of this. Your resume needs to include a header, summary, experience, education, and skills section. These sections should be easily distinguishable.
- Relevant experience: Your experience section is the most important part of your resume. What experience do you have building and developing relationships? How do you communicate with governments and other decision makers?
- A strong summary: You only get one chance to make a good first impression. And it starts with a strong summary. Focus on what makes you unique. What have you achieved that no one else has?
- Education: Public affairs typically require at least a bachelor's degree. If you didn't study politics, communications, PR, or public relations, include relevant coursework.
- Professional formatting: Don’t get too crazy with your resume design. You can stand out while still staying professional.
PRO TIPOn average, a recruiter looks at each resume for only 7 seconds. That’s a pretty staggering statistic. So whatever you do, don’t create a resume in Microsoft Word. It’s an outdated and boring approach to resume design. Use a professionally designed template. You’re much more likely to get a call back.
How to describe your Public Affairs resume skills
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Adobe Photoshop
What phrases to use in my Public Affairs resume skills
How to use Excel in your Public Affairs resume:
Analyzed more than 700 application using Excel and basic statistics
How to use Word in your Public Affairs resume:
Oversaw D.C. concert and "Slurpee Unity Tour" stop on Capitol Hill for 7-Eleven's "Slurpee Summit" (inspired by President Obama's words)
How to use Instagram in your Public Affairs resume:
Managed social media outlets on Twitter and Instagram to encourage the visibility of organization work
How to use Project Management in your Public Affairs resume:
Project management of EU outreach programmes for a number of accounts for clients in the healthcare and nutrition sectors, including international foundations, NGOs and pharmaceutical companies.
How to use Public Speaking in your Public Affairs resume:
Secured 10 CEO public speaking engagements and 65 agency articles in 19 publications over 15 months
How to use Cision in your Public Affairs resume:
Built strong relationships, trust and confidence with international senior leaders & top decision makers worldwide.
How to use Social Media in your Public Affairs resume:
Direct the online brand experience, customer acquisition and retention strategies for customers, club members and partners. Manage all facets of online marketing, including e-commerce, websites, email, social media, and CRM.
* Data reflects analysis made on over 1M resume profiles and examples over the last 2 years from Enhancv.com. Use this Public Affairs resume sample as a base to create a unique resume for yourself.
Looking to build your own Public Affairs resume?
Enhancv is a simple tool for building eye-catching resumes that stand out and get results.
Try free for 7 days
Variety of custom sections